Our Verizon experience

Closed Thread
Old 07-27-2015, 07:02 PM
Send a message via ICQ to SoccerCoach

Guess we might live right, stopped into Verizon on 441 & purchased 2 phones. Took a class given by a male employee. No nonsense, answered all questions, no up sale of any kind. Those who cannot teach, try to sell.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,914 Times in 4,142 Posts

I hope this doesn't sound derogatory, but I've never heard of taking a class(much less a second class) on how to use a cell phone. I would think that anyone who does will probably only be using it for talking, text, possibly a little web browsing, and maybe e-mail or a few apps. I phone 5 has a lot of advanced features, most of which are useless, and I doubt very many at TV have a need to learn them. And again, if interested, there is a ton of online documentation. I can't imagine sitting thru a sales presentation to learn where the on switch is located. Most people buy way too much cell phone technology for their needs anyway. If you just plan on talking, save some $$$ and get a jitterbug
Old 07-27-2015, 07:30 PM

You have gotten some great suggestions already. One more to consider is to check out the Extended Learning Center schedule. My SIL took a class there related to her new phone, and found it very helpful.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:47 PM
Sage

What's the make and model number of your phone?
Old 07-27-2015, 07:57 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
What's the make and model number of your phone?
We bought the Samsung Galaxy 5
Old 07-29-2015, 02:54 PM

Unlike the OP, my husband and I have had very positive interactions with the Verizon store on 441 in mid-May. We wanted to update from flip phones to Android smartphones and had decided on the latest Samsung Galaxy S6.

After talking with us about our usage, etc. the young Verizon salesman suggested that there were quite a few phones that would serve us well and for much less. I was going to stick with the S6 until I saw the size of it. Egads...a monster! So, taking his advice we selected a different Samsung model (much lower priced too) and we've been very happy with it. He guided us down on the data plan (said we could up it if usage warranted but that Villagers tend to use under 1G/month), and made it a family plan, again saving us money.

So...ours was a very positive experience!!

For my husband's benefit, we took the classes. Absolutely no upsell involved.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:23 PM
Veteran member

Google 'Samsung S 5 manual' and download it as a PDF and keep it on your computer for ready reference. I do that for all tech stuff. It's free.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:35 PM
Sage

Take a look at this tutorial. click here
I'm listening to it now as I do other things online. It seems professional and easy to understand.
You may need to stop and rewind here and there.
If you don't like it, I'll look for another.
ps
I liked it. His voice is a bit robot like but that's fine. The author made 2 more for your phone, one about closing apps and the other about doing a reset.

Last edited by tomwed; 07-29-2015 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member

If you have a Samsung Galaxy 5 , which I do, You cannot beat the service that Samsung provides at the Best Buy Store. Its great everything from lessons to one on one attention. You can sign up on line for the lessons . OH and no cost and you did not have to buy your Samsung from Best Buy.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:36 PM

I had to wait in line over an hour just to return a cable and they sold me the wrong thing! They do not have a "quick" line you just have to wait your turn. They are in the business of SELLING not educating. You will have to do that on your own. I found many UTube videos that helped me figure out the basics. I had a sales lady give me her card and I called 3 times and she never returned my calls. Not sure what I will do when I get ready to upgrade. There are many independent sales people out in the field but they are difficult to find and again, they are in the sales business. Good luck!
Old 07-29-2015, 06:39 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneroses View Post

..... (said we could up it if usage warranted but that Villagers tend to use under 1G/month).........
Absolutely, but I had figured that out already. Would have been nuts to pay for 2G for me and 2G for my wife. We got the shared 1G and use less than half of it for checking email, light web access, and occasional GPS navigation. But, it really comes in handy when you need it, especially checking out products in a store.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:17 AM

I bought an Iphone from Verizon. Attended one of the so called classes. I found more useful information on the Sprint website on smart phone usage. Many times going into a phone store is based on the luck of the draw as to who you work with answering your questions. I've discovered the turnover on employees almost guarantees you won't see the same person twice.
My wife and I both had flip phones until last year. I got the Iphone and enjoy using the camera features. Easy to use.
Closed Thread

Tags
insurance, phone, call, purchased, recently, experience, verizon, products, email, finally, fellow, knowing, hang, night, stopped, alot, advice, rude, pushing, noticed, number, access, purchasing, answer, questions

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.