Out-of-State Help with lan

Closed Thread
Old 10-11-2022, 03:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,134 Times in 814 Posts
Default Out-of-State Help with lan

Here's a story I think everyone in Florida should know about the clean-up help with Hurricane lan.

My nephew in Wisconsin is a line man for Wisconsin Electric Co.
He and 13 Fello workers along with their electric trucks with cherry pickers volunteered to drive to Florida from Wisconsin to help with the cleanup.

I just got off the phone with my nephew.

After arriving in Vero Beach after the 4th day, they were told to take their trucks and go back to Wisconsin.

Apparently, Florida electrical unions are supported by retail business, and will not allow other union workers to intervene.

Now if you hear anyone complain down south about not getting their power back in time, here's part of the reason.

I'll bet this story isn't going make it in the Florida newspapers.
Old 10-11-2022, 03:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,274 Posts

A lot of equipment and manpower was turned around because it simply wasn’t needed. If they didn’t get there until the fourth day I’m sure a majority of power restoration was already complete. What was left could be handled by local resources. You can’t believe that if something like what you state really happened that the MSM wouldn’t be all over it. They were making up all kinds of stuff as it was to try to discredit the state’s response.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 10-11-2022, 03:20 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,797 Times in 3,658 Posts

Played Southern Oaks last Tuesday.
Noticed dozens and dozens of electrical trucks heading North.
Related??

Old 10-11-2022, 03:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,134 Times in 5,372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Played Southern Oaks last Tuesday.
Noticed dozens and dozens of electrical trucks heading North.
Related??

Has power been restored to the majority of people who lost it and the remainder will finish in a day or two?
Old 10-11-2022, 03:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Has power been restored to the majority of people who lost it and the remainder will finish in a day or two?
I doubt it.
Old 10-11-2022, 03:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
The latest numbers I can find from around noon today are about 8,200 without power statewide. That’s down from over 2.6 million. That’s well above 99% restored.

Old 10-11-2022, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
The latest numbers I can find from around noon today are about 8,200 without power statewide. That’s down from over 2.6 million. That’s well above 99% restored.
You sure make it tough for people who want to stir it..... throwing facts around like that.
Old 10-11-2022, 04:16 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
Here's a story I think everyone in Florida should know about the clean-up help with Hurricane lan.

My nephew in Wisconsin is a line man for Wisconsin Electric Co.
He and 13 Fello workers along with their electric trucks with cherry pickers volunteered to drive to Florida from Wisconsin to help with the cleanup.

I just got off the phone with my nephew.

After arriving in Vero Beach after the 4th day, they were told to take their trucks and go back to Wisconsin.

Apparently, Florida electrical unions are supported by retail business, and will not allow other union workers to intervene.

Now if you hear anyone complain down south about not getting their power back in time, here's part of the reason.

I'll bet this story isn't going make it in the Florida newspapers.
Back in Massachusetts we were without power for 13 days after a severe early season Ice storm. Out of area crews came but were restricted in their activities. Apparently overtime pay for the local union was more "important" than restoring power.
Old 10-11-2022, 07:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,620 Times in 951 Posts

Found an article from 5 days ago - only 100,000 left without power - i am sure they are all connected now or at least 99% are connected.

Was this the first hurricane in FLA that millions were without power? Is this union line workers thing new?

I know (my dad worked for an electric utility) - you don’t just get in a truck and drive to a hurricane. There are agreements in place between the utilities - because, you know, driving from Wisconsin to FLA could result in an accident, which hits workers comp….. and lots of other legal things that I just don’t want to waste my time on.
Old 10-11-2022, 07:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,620 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post

Why did they go to Vero? It’s on the east coast, about 2 hours south or Orlando. Hurricane hit the west coast, and crossed the state around orlando.
Old 10-11-2022, 09:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
Why did they go to Vero? It’s on the east coast, about 2 hours south or Orlando. Hurricane hit the west coast, and crossed the state around orlando.
I never ask why Vero
Old 10-11-2022, 09:23 PM
Sage

As of 10:00pm tonight (Tuesday) there are 7,808 customers without power in the state. 4,044 of those are in the Jacksonville area unrelated to the hurricane. So basically less than 4,000 costumers without power. Assuming they are all hurricane related it’s still a recovery rate of 99.84%.
Do we really want to whine about a few crews that made the trip for nothing?

Last edited by Kenswing; 10-11-2022 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10-11-2022, 10:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,134 Times in 5,372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymus View Post
Back in Massachusetts we were without power for 13 days after a severe early season Ice storm. Out of area crews came but were restricted in their activities. Apparently overtime pay for the local union was more "important" than restoring power.
For some unions such as longshoreman all they care about is themselves
Old 10-12-2022, 05:03 AM

The 8000 left with power currently can’t even get to their own home by anything but boat. Can’t fix the lines if you can’t use the roads.
Old 10-12-2022, 05:52 AM

Mutual Aid Agreements are in place and updated annually between utilities (cooperatives, municipalities and investor owned) to assist quickly in a time of need. No utility company just “shows up”, and lineman are asked by their own utility - who has already communicated with the utility service provider in need - if they want to go and work. Like another stated, many legal issues go into having these things in place prior to any need. Florida has enough experience with hurricanes and knows exactly what they are doing.
Closed Thread

Tags
florida, wisconsin, back, trucks, workers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.