Paul Harvey - short speech about "Policeman" (from 40 years ago). poignant

Closed Thread
Old 04-26-2021, 01:11 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts
Default Paul Harvey - short speech about "Policeman" (from 40 years ago). poignant

I remember listening to Paul Harvey's radio 'Rest of the Story' at 5:55pm when living in Chicago area many years ago. I typically was driving home, and sometimes in the garage when he was on and just sat and listened. Always so interesting.

I heard this on a radio news show today. Very poignant with current events. And for those here who may INCORRECTLY feel this is political or posted to garner opinions etc etc - STOP right now. I am posting this as it 'hit me' and would like to share.

Paul Harvey (1918-2009) was a radio broadcaster for the ABC Radio Networks. He gave the “Policeman” speech on talk radio nearly 40 years ago, and it is known as one of his best speeches…. Mr. Harvey’s father inspired this speech…. He was a police officer who was shot and killed while doing what police officers do every day.

Here is the text from Paul Harvey’s narration:
Policeman. A Policeman is a composite of what all men are, mingling of a saint and sinner, dust and deity.

Gulled statistics wave the fan over the stinkers, underscore instances of dishonesty and brutality because they are “new”. What they really mean is that they are exceptional, unusual, not commonplace.

Buried under the frost is the fact: Less than one-half of one percent of policemen misfit the uniform. That’s a better average than you’d find among clergy!

What is a policeman made of? He, of all men, is once the most needed and the most unwanted. He’s a strangely nameless creature who is “sir” to his face and “fuzz” to his back.

He must be such a diplomat that he can settle differences between individuals so that each will think he won.But…If the policeman is neat, he’s conceited; if he’s careless, he’s a bum. If he’s pleasant, he’s flirting;if not, he’s a grouch.

He must make an instant decision which would require months for a lawyer to make.

But…If he hurries, he’s careless; if he’s deliberate, he’s lazy. He must be first to an accident and infallible with his diagnosis. He must be able to start breathing, stop bleeding, tie splints and, above all, be sure the victim goes home without a limp. Or expect to be sued.

The police officer must know every gun, draw on the run, and hit where it doesn’t hurt.He must be able to whip two men twice his size and half his age without damaging his uniform and without being “brutal”. If you hit him, he’s a coward. If he hits you, he’s a bully.

A policeman must know everything-and not tell. He must know where all the sin is and not partake.

A policeman must, from a single strand of hair, be able to describe the crime, the weapon and the criminal- and tell you where the criminal is hiding.

But…If he catches the criminal, he’s lucky; if he doesn’t, he’s a dunce. If he gets promoted, he has political pull; if he doesn’t, he’s a dullard. The policeman must chase a bum lead to a dead-end, stake out ten nights to tag one witness who saw it happen-but refused to remember.

The policeman must be a minister, a social worker, a diplomat, a tough guy and a gentleman.

And, of course, he’d have to be genius….For he will have to feed a family on a policeman’s salary.

Last edited by DeanFL; 04-26-2021 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-26-2021, 01:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

amen
Old 04-26-2021, 01:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Written a very long time ago and things have changed.
Old 04-26-2021, 02:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
Seems to me like very little has changed.
Old 04-27-2021, 06:54 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Loved Paul Harvey. My Grandfather had the radio on everyday in his country store so all could here his wise wisdom. Miss him and Papa.

Pray for our police.

Last edited by Bay Kid; 04-29-2021 at 07:54 AM.
Old 04-27-2021, 03:17 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr22 View Post
written a very long time ago and things have changed.
things?
Old 04-27-2021, 08:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Here we go again.........
Old 04-28-2021, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post

Sadly I think you are right. Here's the latest example -

Karen Garner Arrest - Horrific Highlight Reel from Booking Area - YouTube

The lack of humanity is what is overwhelming in all these cases. I suspect it's not limited to the police either, and our society seems to have lost sight of all the virtues that were described in the original posting (I suspect it was never really true anyway).

I think things have gotten a little better in terms of transparency, but not so good in what we are seeing. It's like we are now able to turn over that rock and what we see crawling underneath is not so pretty.

In this latest video, anyone who has had elderly relatives that have suffered from dementia will be sickened by it. But it's important to see and acknowledge as it shows how much training is still required. (not just by the Police, but the employees at Walmart, etc)
Old 04-28-2021, 07:50 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Here we go again.........
??? please explain...yet another 'shoot and run'...
Old 04-28-2021, 08:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Seems to me like very little has changed.
Ditto.

The only difference is today we have a communication system that portrays/amplifies political, special interest and minority groups (not race!) as though they were the general condition....when THEY ARE NOT!!!!
Old 04-28-2021, 08:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Loved Paul Harvey. My Grandfather had the radio on everyday in his country store so all could here is wise wisdom. Miss him and Papa.

Pray for our police.
dittos. my dad introduced me to talk radio as a child. getting to listen to Harvey was a great influence
Old 04-28-2021, 08:48 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

DeanFL,

“You can’t fool all the people all the time.”

(I don’t have time to explain in detail what I mean, in case you don’t understand and need to screech at me in bolded, red font. I have to be somewhere else in an hour.)

But, hey, while I am gone off to do my real-life stuff, maybe you can share with us your feelings about the brutalization of our Capitol police. How’d that make you feel?

I’ll look forward to checking in later.

Bye.

Boomer
Old 04-28-2021, 09:39 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
DeanFL,

(I don’t have time to explain in detail what I mean, in case you don’t understand and need to screech at me in bolded, red font. I have to be somewhere else in an hour.)

But, hey, while I am gone off to do my real-life stuff, maybe you can share with us your feelings about the brutalization of our Capitol police. How’d that make you feel?

Bye.

Boomer

some folks simply MUST divert to another topic. time to go to Russia Russia now.

Can't have a nice discussion.

Yet another...

Me: It's a beautiful day in The Villages!

You: NO! I see dog poop!

Old 04-28-2021, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
DeanFL,

Bye.

Boomer
I agree
Closed Thread

Tags
he’s, policeman, radio, paul, police

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.