DNA Testing

Closed Thread
Old 04-17-2016, 06:56 AM
Default DNA Testing

Anyone had this done. or want to have it done? Were you surprised
by the results? I am thinking I would like to do this. There are
different testing places advertised, not sure which one is best.
Comments please.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:31 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast View Post
Anyone had this done. or want to have it done? Were you surprised
by the results? I am thinking I would like to do this. There are
different testing places advertised, not sure which one is best.
Comments please.
I had family finder done thru family tree dna since they are the largest company that does testing. If your interested in genealogy I recommend you check out the Villages Genealogical Society. Great outfit and lots of people who would answer your questions. I got quite an amazing amount of matches and unfortunately some didn't provide surnames, or any other info to help how they are related to me.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I am interested too. And don't know whether to use Ancestry.com or the other one advertised a lot....and don't know whether it is just a foolish hundred bucks thrown away.

We have a bunch of cousins who look very much alike and kind of Asian, although we are of German descent. I have always wondered whether Mongol invaders may have intertwined their DNA with my ancestors.

I really don't care about it for health reasons. I have had some DNA testing for a certain kind of breast cancer and don't want to know if some other kind of disease will leap on me soon.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:17 AM
Default Oh puleeze

You all of course know that you still will not know what it is you do not know? There is no actual scientific basis for the "results" other than going off of a "presumed" sample - that is directly disputed in the commercials for DNA testing. Simply thinking that X=1 is not pertinent in this dog fight because no one even knows what "1" is!

I have seen DNA testing on dogs where not only is the breed known, six generations of the breed going back over 40 years is known...and the DNA came back as a mini-dachshund (this in a lineage of well bred Golden Retrievers).

The only thing that the DNA purveyors need now is to have Dion Warwick as their spokes person...being as it is Snake Oil and preying on the people who dont know better.

The Villages Florida
Old 04-17-2016, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I have had some DNA testing for a certain kind of breast cancer and don't want to know if some other kind of disease will leap on me soon.
You seem to be a very wise woman. Live for today and not give yourself things to worry about tomorrow (as we can not control them).

Testing of the presence of a gene, as you know does not give a lineage of heritage. It only gives the presence of the said gene (that may or may not be directly or indirectly linked to a condition in a subset of samples prone to X or Y ;-) )

I would just go to the Dollar Store and pick up a "Magic Eight Ball" and shake it...then, you can comfortably stand in front of any Anglo-saxion person and guess "German" (at least SOMEWHERE in their family tree...
Old 04-17-2016, 08:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Record10ti View Post
You all of course know that you still will not know what it is you do not know? There is no actual scientific basis for the "results" other than going off of a "presumed" sample - that is directly disputed in the commercials for DNA testing. Simply thinking that X=1 is not pertinent in this dog fight because no one even knows what "1" is!

I have seen DNA testing on dogs where not only is the breed known, six generations of the breed going back over 40 years is known...and the DNA came back as a mini-dachshund (this in a lineage of well bred Golden Retrievers).

The only thing that the DNA purveyors need now is to have Dion Warwick as their spokes person...being as it is Snake Oil and preying on the people who dont know better.

The Villages Florida

Thank you for an expert opinion by an IT person. I will now call my friend who is the head of the genetics department at Mass General. Her name is Barbara Pober.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:47 AM

Barbara will agree with me. DNA is only as good as its starting information (just like computers). We simply do not know where the results of X=1 come from...then again, I can, I suppose to defer to my family that consists of Clinical Pathologists, Endocrinologists, as well as Oncologists (and one who is a research scientist over seas working with endangered species). "Heritage" testing is a far cry from that of a known genome that can "possibly" be linked to a genetic condition (ask Angelina Jolie).

The information known is SO limited that it is almost incomprehensible. But, humans like to hope on hope to know something, anything (part of the reason I did not finish Med School - but do work in Healthcare oddly).

But, if someone wants to get DNA testing to find out they are supposedly from Narnia...I hope they spent their life savings getting PowerBall on the way home from the post office mailing their SALIVA sample. What is even more fun is the "control of custody" as there IS NONE. You dont even have any real assurance that your sample is your sample...Simple N=1 test is for the same person to send in two samples and see if they get the same results. Oddly, they dont...then there are things like this...

Title:
Two DNA tests on same person, but different results
Summary:
Same person, Ancestry.com DNA test and National geographic DNA test yielded different results
Content:
Hello, If there is a better email to send this question to, please advise. I cannot find it on your website. I have already called Ancestry.com and they did not have any explanation for the significant difference of results between Ancestry.com and National Geographic DNA Geno 2.0 test. The test I had done with Ancestry.com did NOT show any of the 21% Northern European DNA that the Nat'l geographic study did. I think that’s a significant difference. Can you explain why the Ancestry.com DNA study does NOT show ANY Northern European DNA in my results? Does the Nat'l Geo DNA test go further back in genetic history than the Ancestry.com test? Which test do I trust? I am female. Ancestry.com DNA test showed: Europe 82% including Italy/Greece 80% West Asia 17% Africa <1% ____ National Geographic Geno 2.0 kit study showed: Mediterranean 57% Northern European 21% (“Northern European - people from the UK, Denmark, Finland, Russia and Germany...”) Southwest Asian 19% Which test do I trust? Thank you for your help.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:10 AM
Sage

I recently sent for the kit on Ancestry.com. When it came I just had to put some saliva in a vial, seal it up and send it back. They acknowledged by email that they received my sample and are working on it. They said it would be about 6 weeks for my result and they would notify me by email when it is ready. I did it to find out how much American Indian blood I have. I have always been told my great grandmother was full blood American indian. My brother and sister have been working on our geneology for years so this will help them also. It was $99.00. Quick and easy.

Last edited by jnieman; 04-17-2016 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:15 AM
Veteran member

Watch what you ask for and be prepared for the results...

I went to my grandparents grave stone to put on the Christmas wreath and remove the fall wreath. A note was attached that had been put in a zip lock bag. The gentleman knew quite a bit about my grandmother and her brother. Both are buried at this plot with my grandfather and grandmothers brothers wife. The gentleman is now in his 90's and I emailed him immediately. Our son actively works on geneology and I knew he would know if the dates and locations were accurate that the gentleman told me. They were. When he responded to my email, he explained his parents were first generation Germans. He decided to have his DNA done and found he had more than German blood. His conclusion is that his mother had an affair with my grandmothers brother and he is Stan's offspring. He is asking for nothing, other than to see pictures of "his father" and any news type articles I might have. We were leaving for Florida when this was happening and I told him in May we could meet.

My theory is, there is no way to know for absolute certainty this gentleman's Stan's son, but to make a man in his 90's have peace that his father was a wonderful, upstanding man, does me no harm. I have a problem labeling him as upstanding if he in fact did have an affair, but that is my personal value. I have pictures to share, articles of Stan's achievements, and many stories my father told me about his Uncle Stan. I will share them with him to make him happy thinking his biological Dad wasn't the man that had abused him as a child.

As you think about having DNA checked, know there are all kinds of possibilities of the results. Having a long lost relative would have never crossed my mind.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:40 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

After someone I knew received her results from the Ancestry.com saliva test I thought, what the heck, and sent in a saliva sample fully realizing the results might not be all that accurate. After all, what can they do for $99? A bottle of a recent vintage of Chateau Palmer sets me back over $250 at a wine store.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 04-17-2016, 10:50 AM

Nah, I happy knowing what I know and not interest in going back any further.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
After someone I knew received her results from the Ancestry.com saliva test I thought, what the heck, and sent in a saliva sample fully realizing the results might not be all that accurate. After all, what can they do for $99? A bottle of a recent vintage of Chateau Palmer sets me back over $250 at a wine store.
That sir, in all seriousness is the BEST way to look at it

It is a nice thought? Certainly. Based on real science? Heck, maybe. Then again, the earth being flat was once based on the best science.

I can only imagine the "junk" relatives to come out of this "junk science".."Ancenstry.com's non-scientific, non-controlled DNA testing told me that your mother was a tramp and you are my half brother...can I have a loan?"
Old 04-17-2016, 12:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Record10ti View Post
Barbara will agree with me. DNA is only as good as its starting information (just like computers). We simply do not know where the results of X=1 come from...then again, I can, I suppose to defer to my family that consists of Clinical Pathologists, Endocrinologists, as well as Oncologists (and one who is a research scientist over seas working with endangered species). "Heritage" testing is a far cry from that of a known genome that can "possibly" be linked to a genetic condition (ask Angelina Jolie).

The information known is SO limited that it is almost incomprehensible. But, humans like to hope on hope to know something, anything (part of the reason I did not finish Med School - but do work in Healthcare oddly).

But, if someone wants to get DNA testing to find out they are supposedly from Narnia...I hope they spent their life savings getting PowerBall on the way home from the post office mailing their SALIVA sample. What is even more fun is the "control of custody" as there IS NONE. You dont even have any real assurance that your sample is your sample...Simple N=1 test is for the same person to send in two samples and see if they get the same results. Oddly, they dont...then there are things like this...

Title:
Two DNA tests on same person, but different results
Summary:
Same person, Ancestry.com DNA test and National geographic DNA test yielded different results
Content:
Hello, If there is a better email to send this question to, please advise. I cannot find it on your website. I have already called Ancestry.com and they did not have any explanation for the significant difference of results between Ancestry.com and National Geographic DNA Geno 2.0 test. The test I had done with Ancestry.com did NOT show any of the 21% Northern European DNA that the Nat'l geographic study did. I think that’s a significant difference. Can you explain why the Ancestry.com DNA study does NOT show ANY Northern European DNA in my results? Does the Nat'l Geo DNA test go further back in genetic history than the Ancestry.com test? Which test do I trust? I am female. Ancestry.com DNA test showed: Europe 82% including Italy/Greece 80% West Asia 17% Africa <1% ____ National Geographic Geno 2.0 kit study showed: Mediterranean 57% Northern European 21% (“Northern European - people from the UK, Denmark, Finland, Russia and Germany...”) Southwest Asian 19% Which test do I trust? Thank you for your help.

I can tell you were in the gifted class, but I haven't often had a conversation with anyone about genetics who brought up psychics. I just want to know if there is some Asian blood in me because that would make me more interesting, to myself. And would give me a valid reason to change my dcor.
Old 04-17-2016, 12:53 PM

I hear that Koyame is good...what I would do, get some pot-stickers and some shrimp lo mein - Then decorate any way you want (not certain there is any "Asian blood" in that unless the cook is careless with his cutlery). The other "little Asian" would require looking out for "loofa's" on the cars of Asians (mostly Honda I understand)...I am thinking that is another forum and even website however.

My best friend did purchase his Asian wife however (Seriously, he did in Iwakuni) - he always decorated with an Asian theme (I do hope to god he grew out of the Samurai swords on the wall thing...)
Old 04-17-2016, 01:11 PM
Email Reported As Spam

When I first moved here I visited the town squares. Lo and behold a merchant had my family's code of arms and with it a flattery history of my ancestors. So I am certain that if I did DNA testing the company would reveal to me that royalty abound among my ancestors. I'll bet I am second or third cousin to some famous celebrities.
Closed Thread

Tags
testing, advertised, places, comments, thinking, surprised, dna, results

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.