Is Pfizer making too much money from COVID?

Closed Thread
Old 02-28-2023, 12:43 PM
Default Is Pfizer making too much money from COVID?

I watch Fox News a lot and generally respect the views of some of the hosts like Tucker Carlson or Jesse Watters. They rail against the ‘fake news’, yet almost daily condemn Pfizer as a money grubbing big bad pharmaceutical company making record profits on the back of the COVID emergency. A fake narrative!

I’ve been a Pfizer shareholder for many years. The company’s net profit in 2021, 2 years into COVID, was about the same as it was in 2017, 2 years before COVID! Their stock price today is about what it was at the end of 2018, a year before any thought of a COVID vaccine.

So where does this impression of ‘record profits’ come from? And why does the media keep portraying Pfizer as the ‘enemy’? A lot of people would be dead if all the drug companies disappeared!

Last edited by MrLonzo; 02-28-2023 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-28-2023, 12:59 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLonzo View Post
I watch Fox News a lot and generally respect the views of some of the hosts like Tucker Carlson or Jesse Watters. They rail against the ‘fake news’, yet almost daily condemn Pfizer as a money grubbing big bad pharmaceutical company making record profits on the back of the COVID emergency. A fake narrative!

I’ve been a Pfizer shareholder for many years. The company’s net profit in 2021, 2 years into COVID, was about the same as it was in 2017, 2 years before COVID! There’s no record ‘COVID profits’! Their stock price today is about what it was at the end of 2018, a year before any thought of a COVID vaccine.

So where does this impression of ‘record profits’ come from? And why does the media keep portraying Pfizer as the ‘enemy’? A lot of people would be dead if all the drug companies disappeared!
It comes directly from the Pfizer board:

https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...NCIAL-GUIDANCE

Dr. Albert Bourla, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, stated: “2022 was a record-breaking year for Pfizer, not only in terms of revenue and earnings per share, which were the highest in our long history, but more importantly, in terms of the percentage of patients who have a positive perception of Pfizer and the work we do. As proud as we are about what we have accomplished, our focus is always on what is next. As we turn to 2023, we expect to once again set records, with potentially the largest number of new product and indication launches that we’ve ever had in such a short period of time.

Based on this, I don't see why your complaint is with the news sources.
Old 02-28-2023, 01:05 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,969 Times in 754 Posts

Just take in the sources Waters or Carlson mostly opinion with dubious facts
Old 02-28-2023, 01:06 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Fauci is the dude that made big bucks on Covid 19.
Old 02-28-2023, 01:09 PM
Platinum member

you get your news from Faux News?

Stay away from windmills, they cause cancer
Old 02-28-2023, 01:13 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralway View Post

At least they were not hiding China's involvement in spreading Covid.
Old 02-28-2023, 01:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:

Everybody drink!

-Tom Petty
Old 02-28-2023, 02:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,047 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:

Tell me about a news source that is actually objective these days
Old 02-28-2023, 02:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,389 Times in 2,067 Posts

Quote:

Definitely need to take that source with multiple grains of salt. I'm not being political or liberal in any way, just the facts. To defend themselves against one lawsuit, Fox News argued that Tucker Carlson's rantings were for entertainment purposes and shouldn't be taken as fact. Currently, Fox News is getting some unwanted publicity as some internal emails are released showing that they didn't believe some of the statements they were making on air. Their recent track record, by their own words, doesn't look very good.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 02-28-2023, 03:09 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:

I’ve been a Pfizer shareholder for many years. The company’s net profit in 2021, 2 years into COVID, was about the same as it was in 2017, 2 years before COVID! There’s no record ‘COVID profits’! Their stock price today is about what it was at the end of 2018, a year before any thought of a COVID vaccine.

Disclosure, I have held Pfizer stock for years, actually sold it, and all my pharma stocks BEFORE Covid. In my opinion it is not that Fox, or any other source gives opinions one way or the other (BIG distinction between and among "news reporters", and "commentators", so make sure you are not mixing up the two.) But more important, I think the various excesses of ALL the pharma companies ( if you think back you can probably bring them to mind, price increases as much at 2000% in some cases) has caused a CUMULATIVE effect on everyone, not just the "news commentators". Drug companies exist to make money, for those of us who invest in their company. As many positives as the capitalist system has, there still must be an element of "conscience". I'm sure you also remember the many past incidents of big pharma companies "dumping" ineffective treatments and medications on third world countries. It's not pretty, it's not "fair", but in the end, it all goes to the depth of integrity of the individuals involved. Most USA coal mine tragedies were eventually traced to human GREED. That might turn out to be the "root" of this latest rail tragedy too ? Be it brakes, or bearings, it may end up just another calculated money saving "risk" ! ? All this tends to "cause" the "bad mouthing" of companies like Pfizer. Also, right or wrong, the CEO is not a well liked personality, should not make a difference, but it does.
Old 02-28-2023, 03:20 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,969 Times in 754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Definitely need to take that source with multiple grains of salt. I'm not being political or liberal in any way, just the facts. To defend themselves against one lawsuit, Fox News argued that Tucker Carlson's rantings were for entertainment purposes and shouldn't be taken as fact. Currently, Fox News is getting some unwanted publicity as some internal emails are released showing that they didn't believe some of the statements they were making on air. Their recent track record, by their own words, doesn't look very good.
Recent testimony “Not Red Or Blue, It Is Green’: Murdoch Admits Fox News Hosts Pushed False Claims”
Old 02-28-2023, 03:56 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 595 Posts

Quote:
How Pfizer Won the Pandemic, Reaping Outsize Profit and Influence | Kaiser Health News

According to the article, Pfizer’s 2021 revenue was $81.3 billion, roughly double its revenue in 2020, when its top sellers were a pneumonia vaccine, the cancer drug Ibrance, and the fibromyalgia treatment Lyrica, which had gone off-patent.

Now its mRNA vaccine holds 70% of the U.S. and European markets. And its antiviral Paxlovid is the pill of choice to treat early symptoms of covid. This year, the company expects to rake in more than $50 billion in global revenue from the two medications alone.

Hopefully, they are passing this along in dividends to the shareholders although it doesn't look like they are giving a lot of the money to the owners of the company.

In 2017, they paid $1.28 in dividends; in 2018 they paid $1.36; in 2019 they paid $1.44; in 2020 they paid $1.52, in 2021, they paid $1.56 and in 2022 they paid $1.60. They also did something on November 17, 2020 but I don't know what they did. Perhaps someone who understands the stock market can explain. 11/17/2020 CASH/STOCK $2.027451

Access Denied

Last edited by Rainger99; 02-28-2023 at 05:45 PM.
Old 02-28-2023, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
It comes directly from the Pfizer board:

https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...NCIAL-GUIDANCE

Dr. Albert Bourla, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, stated: “2022 was a record-breaking year for Pfizer, not only in terms of revenue and earnings per share, which were the highest in our long history, but more importantly, in terms of the percentage of patients who have a positive perception of Pfizer and the work we do. As proud as we are about what we have accomplished, our focus is always on what is next. As we turn to 2023, we expect to once again set records, with potentially the largest number of new product and indication launches that we’ve ever had in such a short period of time.

Based on this, I don't see why your complaint is with the news sources.

Yes, you’re right, EPS perked up in 2022. I was only looking at the financials through 2021, which included 2 years of COVID vaccine development. But the recent earnings report in January show much higher revenues and EPS for 2022, which is why I keep scratching my head as to why the stock price keeps going down. And why the media (not just Fox) vilifies Pfizer for getting paid to do what the government asked them for at a time everyone was so desperate.
Old 02-28-2023, 05:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Want to play that game with all of the nonsense broadcasted on CNN, MSNBC, NBC, CBS and ABC?

-Tom Petty
Old 02-28-2023, 06:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,047 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Want to play that game with all of the nonsense broadcasted on CNN, MSNBC, NBC, CBS and ABC?
Here you go again saying that those channels are not objective.
Closed Thread

Tags
covid, pfizer, years, profits’, record

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.