Phone and Email scams: How they work.

Closed Thread
Old 03-20-2021, 11:47 AM

sadly i didn't. my husband had just died. i felt this was the last thing i could ever do for my husband.
Old 03-20-2021, 03:02 PM

[ok QUOTE=amexsbow;1917978]I ran across this video on Youtube the other day, it is a great explanation of how the scams work and why people fall for them. Besides being educational and informative it is entertaining to watch the thieves get caught.

[URL="https://youtu.be/VrKW58MS12g"]

https://youtu.be/VrKW58MS12g

Forewarned is forearmed.

Everyone should educate friends and family about these scammmers.

NEVER GIVE ACCESS TO YOUR COMPUTER TO SOMEONE YOU DON'T KNOW....[/QUOTE]

Great video Thanks!
Old 03-21-2021, 09:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
The problem is very often it is a DR office or a call would want to take. Easier to take it and block it.
Stu- guess I’m thinking what numbers I have in my contacts, all of my Drs. are in my contacts. But what if you answer & it a vendor that’s trying to sell you new windows, then your stuck even if you do tell them that you don’t need them, they’ll probably just sell your number to some other salesman, more phone calls. So a Dr. to me would be an important # to have in your contacts! Just trying to give my opinion!
Old 03-21-2021, 10:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,543 Times in 3,118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
Stu- guess I’m thinking what numbers I have in my contacts, all of my Drs. are in my contacts. But what if you answer & it a vendor that’s trying to sell you new windows, then your stuck even if you do tell them that you don’t need them, they’ll probably just sell your number to some other salesman, more phone calls. So a Dr. to me would be an important # to have in your contacts! Just trying to give my opinion!
You're not stuck at all. Just hang up. You don't have to tell them you don't need them. You don't have to tell them anything at all. Hang up, and block their number. Easy peasy.
Old 03-21-2021, 11:24 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amexsbow View Post
I ran across this video on Youtube the other day, it is a great explanation of how the scams work and why people fall for them. Besides being educational and informative it is entertaining to watch the thieves get caught.
We watched this months ago - Simply AWFUL! The networks these SCUM have worldwide is vast. Lazy SCUM.

We NEVER answer our home or cell phones without recognizing the number (our contacts). And listen to the message if they leave one - car warranty, social security... Get emails from Apple, Paypal, xxxbank - with a phony email ID - NEVER open. Same with junk mail. Texts. Thank god we don't get solicitors at the door. Cannot trust ANYTHING nowadays - even buying/selling on the internet, including ToTV.

Sad state of affairs. When this SCUM gets caught they should face stiff sentences... yeah as if THAT will happen...
Old 03-21-2021, 11:28 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydavid View Post
I must get 20 calls a day luckily I have caller ID that flash's on my TV, if I don't know the number or person I don't pick-up. It works for me.
How come you didn't answer my calls to you. Just wanted to warn you about your expiring car warranty.
Old 03-21-2021, 12:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,122 Times in 5,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
Sometimes we will get a call from a DR office that is not recognized by our phones.

No easy answer, my dear wife must have blocked a 1000 numbers by now and they keep on coming. Does allow me to play with the new ones from time to time.
Old 03-21-2021, 12:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
You're not stuck at all. Just hang up. You don't have to tell them you don't need them. You don't have to tell them anything at all. Hang up, and block their number. Easy peasy.
When they say it is a recorded line we just hang up and block but their are millions of these miserable numbers being used.
Old 03-21-2021, 12:50 PM
Default Hi, thanks for the info,

I almost fell for this last week. Phony invoice from Amazon for 2500.00 for computers, I didn't fall for it, Invoice was B.S. and the e-mail said to call this number if then invoice was incorrect for a full refund. And yes I'm 75.

Bob
Old 03-21-2021, 02:25 PM
Veteran member

Someone asked us for $29.00 at Orlando airport, said she was short to buy a ticket. Would send us the money as soon as she gets home. Right
Old 03-21-2021, 04:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,876 Times in 950 Posts

A friend taught me this one. They seem to always call diner time. Whatever they are pitching you tell them you are very interested. You are cooking mom's tomato sauce could they hold on one second while I stir it. Then after they start their pitch you ask them it they think it needs more oregano. What ever they say you ask them to hold on another minute while you add oregano. My record so far was getting to salt. That is 3x I put them on hold. Villages challenge can you beat my three? Seriously, I am on the do not call list.
I do report the numbers. The robo callers after perhaps getting fined now show fake numbers. Surveys are not covered by the do not call list. I've gotten calls with the pitch we are doing a survey to see if you are happy with your lawn mowing service.

Surely, I have graduated to the waste of time to call list. I get far fewer calls than I used to.
Old 03-21-2021, 04:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,876 Times in 950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisbad1 View Post
Someone asked us for $29.00 at Orlando airport, said she was short to buy a ticket. Would send us the money as soon as she gets home. Right
Like anything else some are far better and successful than others.
Old 03-21-2021, 07:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
A friend taught me this one. They seem to always call diner time. Whatever they are pitching you tell them you are very interested. You are cooking mom's tomato sauce could they hold on one second while I stir it. Then after they start their pitch you ask them it they think it needs more oregano. What ever they say you ask them to hold on another minute while you add oregano. My record so far was getting to salt. That is 3x I put them on hold. Villages challenge can you beat my three? Seriously, I am on the do not call list.
I do report the numbers. The robo callers after perhaps getting fined now show fake numbers. Surveys are not covered by the do not call list. I've gotten calls with the pitch we are doing a survey to see if you are happy with your lawn mowing service.

Surely, I have graduated to the waste of time to call list. I get far fewer calls than I used to.
Thanks have to try this one.
Old 03-21-2021, 07:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisbad1 View Post
Some years ago at rest areas on interstate got hit with need $ 20 in Gas to get home and show me car with two little ones.

When this happened on two trips at same rest area wised up to it.

Some people have no shame
Closed Thread

Tags
scams, work, forearmed, phone, forewarned

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.