Plans for the end of the world?

Closed Thread
Old 07-03-2021, 08:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts
Default Plans for the end of the world?

More and more evidence of the ultra-rich making arrangements to isolate themselves from the common rift raft and potentially survive an existential event.

New Zealand passed a law limiting the purchase of land by the ultra-rich for survival "bunkers". (Imagine extravagant luxury towers underground), because so much of their country was being bought up, and taken from its citizens.

Today I saw an article about a Yacht Liner, 730 feet, with 39 apartments ($11 million ea), bars, clubs, etc, etc., etc. A floating city, for the Richie Rich's.

So, the thought that comes to my mind, when the Apocolypse does come - climate change, war, pandemic, alien invasion, or whatever they are concerned with that wipes out the common rabble - who are the rich survivers going to exploit?

EDITED to remove a political reference that was unintended.

Last edited by GrumpyOldMan; 07-03-2021 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-03-2021, 08:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,048 Times in 5,337 Posts

Guess we should build a storm cellar with a very powerful pump.
Old 07-03-2021, 08:56 AM
Veteran member

Who is going to do all the work that the rich refuse to do if they are the only ones left?
Old 07-03-2021, 08:57 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu from nyc View Post
guess we should build a storm cellar with a very powerful pump.
lol!
Old 07-03-2021, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
More and more evidence of the ultra-rich making arrangements to isolate themselves from the common rift raft and potentially survive an existential event.

New Zealand passed a law limiting the purchase of land by the ultra-rich for survival "bunkers". (Imagine Trump Towers underground), because so much of their country was being bought up, and taken from its citizens.

Today I saw an article about a Yacht Liner, 730 feet, with 39 apartments ($11 million ea), bars, clubs, etc, etc., etc. A floating city, for the Richie Rich's.

So, the thought that comes to my mind, when the Apocolypse does come - climate change, war, pandemic, alien invasion, or whatever they are concerned with that wipes out the common rabble - who are the rich survivers going to exploit?
They will miss out on town square happy hour.
Old 07-03-2021, 09:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
Who is going to do all the work that the rich refuse to do if they are the only ones left?
Yup, imagine the look on their faces when they come out of their survival shelter and realized there no one to rule.
Old 07-03-2021, 11:57 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Yup, imagine the look on their faces when they come out of their survival shelter and realized there no one to rule.
That's how they will perish. No one left for them to exploit.
Old 07-03-2021, 12:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Wealth envy is very unhealthy. I do not care what happens to others in "THE END" because if I am a survivor, I will be too busy surviving. The only wealthy in an apocalypse will be the one that has something of value in which to barter for essentials. Maybe toilet paper will be currency. I doubt anyone here will be around to wonder about the rich by the time the END comes. Although, I have heard that a major solar flare will damage half our world in the next five years. Better stock up on toilet paper...........
Old 07-03-2021, 12:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Anyone living in The Villages is rich compared to 99% of the World's population, so consider it your survival bunker and live life to the max.
Old 07-03-2021, 12:21 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
Wealth envy is very unhealthy. I do not care what happens to others in "THE END" because if I am a survivor, I will be too busy surviving. The only wealthy in an apocalypse will be the one that has something of value in which to barter for essentials. Maybe toilet paper will be currency. I doubt anyone here will be around to wonder about the rich by the time the END comes. Although, I have heard that a major solar flare will damage half our world in the next five years. Better stock up on toilet paper...........
One, I don't envy them at all. And two wealth is just another word for power. No money, no power, lots of money, lots of power.

And it doesn't matter what the currency is after the apocalypse, what matters is who controls it - again power.

If I were a multi-billionaire I would not worry so much about having a comfy bed to sleep in, as I would invest in a serious power station (in my underground bunker) - maybe nuke - energy will be one of the most valuable assets.
Old 07-03-2021, 12:27 PM
Veteran member

Let them live in their Dungeons and Dragons Lalaland. If we're lucky they'll go into their luxury bunkers and get locked in "by accident".

As for me, I'll continue to hang out with my good friends Riff and Raff.
Old 07-03-2021, 12:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
I prefer to think of the look on their faces when they come out and realize their rulers are already outside. In fact, they might have to evacuate their bunkers a bit early when the smoke coming into the inlets gets a bit more than the scrubbers can handle.

I don't know about Ya'll, but the Humungous seems like a reasonable man and I'm a pretty handy fellow. I think I'd fit right into his organization.
Old 07-03-2021, 12:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

I am in my 80's, and as a great actor once said, "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn!"
Old 07-03-2021, 01:34 PM
Platinum member

Quote:

New Zealand passed a law limiting the purchase of land by the ultra-rich for survival "bunkers". (Imagine Trump Towers underground), because so much of their country was being bought up, and taken from its citizens.

Per R.E.M "It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine"
Old 07-03-2021, 03:02 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,089 Times in 297 Posts

Quote:

Yeah! We hate those rich guys, right? No exploiters around here!

Man, I feel bad for all those poor exploited people who had to take money from those "Richy Rich" guys just to build them a big dumb escape yacht they'll never use! You know, those downtrodden proletariats don't get to play golf in Senior Disneyworld like us regular folks. Heck, those poor saps have to work for a living! Imagine the indignity!

Damn those rich guys! Why do they have to make poor people build stuff for a living? Will the exploiting never end?
Closed Thread

Tags
common, ultra-rich, city, thought, richs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.