Please investigate the truth

Closed Thread
Old 03-22-2019, 06:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
...Again I ask you to supply one....just one example of a news media tellng an outright lie on the coverage of news...i keep asking and never get any...
One reason could be that many feel like I do...that the media may state some facts, but then they so frequently and blatantly twist them with what should be clearly identified as editorializing that it detracts from any true facts that may be included in the report.

IMO, a news report doesn't have to tell outright lies to stray from true, journalistic news reporting.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
One reason could be that many feel like I do...that the media may state some facts, but then they so frequently and blatantly twist them with what should be clearly identified as editorializing that it detracts from any true facts that may be included in the report.

IMO, a news report doesn't have to tell outright lies to stray from true, journalistic news reporting.
Some of the news stations which are all day every hour newscasts are more just talking heads giving their opinions about everything happening that is newsworthy or just of interest to the inquiring minds.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:36 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,212 Times in 351 Posts

Quote:

I agree. I don't think the media lies... but I do think they report stories that support their bias (eg. they report a negative story about a subject, vs. reporting a positive story on another subject). The media determines what is "news" and I believe their bias creeps into their selection.
Also... the media will report a story, but then they ask a commentator what does this possibly mean, which gives the commentator the ability to speculate on the story. Now it's not fact... it's their OPINION of what it could mean. And that is where I see the bias creep in.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:21 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Some of the news stations which are all day every hour newscasts are more just talking heads giving their opinions about everything happening that is newsworthy or just of interest to the inquiring minds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
I agree. I don't think the media lies... but I do think they report stories that support their bias (eg. they report a negative story about a subject, vs. reporting a positive story on another subject). The media determines what is "news" and I believe their bias creeps into their selection.
Also... the media will report a story, but then they ask a commentator what does this possibly mean, which gives the commentator the ability to speculate on the story. Now it's not fact... it's their OPINION of what it could mean. And that is where I see the bias creep in.
You all are hitting the right "nails". A media outlet should be making a clear distinction between the news and Op-Ed. Unfortunately, that line is often blurred such that opinion tends to become fact. Add to it that when a difference of opinion, on what appears to be Op-Ed is pro-offered, the dissenter in many (not all) cases is shouted down or demeaned for their opinion and relevant facts to support that opinion are dismissed out of hand.

Additionally, just because something is posted on the web via social media does not make it true, and solely using that posting as a basis for "news" reporting can be misleading and is irresponsible at best. Today, the race is on to be first, whether it be via broadcast or social media posting. Verifying the facts before commenting, even in an Op-Ed, should be the norm, not the exception. It used to be that two independent sources were needed before an article was published. Had the general media spent a modicum of time to investigate the short video related to the Covington High School student, the story might have been about the social media publisher of that clipped video and why that person(s) chose to deliberately mislead people. Instead, the media bias that Northwoods cited, and the need "to be fast" made the Covington student an immediate target and the facts no longer mattered.

The bottom line is that the media has managed to submarine their own integrity. I avoid many of the cable news networks, not because of opinion differences, but because of a lack of journalistic ethics exhibited by those networks. I fact check where the issue is of importance to me, so in that regard I agree with the OP. Edgar Allen Poe said, “Believe nothing you hear, and only one half that you see.”
Old 03-22-2019, 09:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trayderjoe View Post
You all are hitting the right "nails". A media outlet should be making a clear distinction between the news and Op-Ed. Unfortunately, that line is often blurred such that opinion tends to become fact. Add to it that when a difference of opinion, on what appears to be Op-Ed is pro-offered, the dissenter in many (not all) cases is shouted down or demeaned for their opinion and relevant facts to support that opinion are dismissed out of hand.

Additionally, just because something is posted on the web via social media does not make it true, and solely using that posting as a basis for "news" reporting can be misleading and is irresponsible at best. Today, the race is on to be first, whether it be via broadcast or social media posting. Verifying the facts before commenting, even in an Op-Ed, should be the norm, not the exception. It used to be that two independent sources were needed before an article was published. Had the general media spent a modicum of time to investigate the short video related to the Covington High School student, the story might have been about the social media publisher of that clipped video and why that person(s) chose to deliberately mislead people. Instead, the media bias that Northwoods cited, and the need "to be fast" made the Covington student an immediate target and the facts no longer mattered.

The bottom line is that the media has managed to submarine their own integrity. I avoid many of the cable news networks, not because of opinion differences, but because of a lack of journalistic ethics exhibited by those networks. I fact check where the issue is of importance to me, so in that regard I agree with the OP. Edgar Allen Poe said, “Believe nothing you hear, and only one half that you see.”
Well said.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

There's also the issue about the word itself. "Media" does not mean "news." Even "news media" doesn't mean "news." The words are bandied about and interchanged so often, that it's no wonder people use them to describe things that they don't actually mean. The media is TV, print, video, Facebook, other internet carriage of information and entertainment. Entertainment falls into that category, so do gossip magazines. It's all produced, performed, published, and displayed by "the media."

News media is media that is not intentionally entertainment (though it could very well be entertaining). Op-ed programs like Face the Nation and Fox & Friends - is produced by news media, even though neither are actually "news."

News is information. Nothing more or less. It is exclusively information. It might be information that adds to something you already knew, or is something that is literally "new." But it is not op-ed, it isn't entertainment (though again - it could be entertaining).

"Eagles have been nesting on Delray Beach this season" is news, because it provides information, with no emotional attachment to it.

"Beautiful eagles have graced our beaches" is op-ed. Why? Because it is intended to draw out your emotional response. The writer wants you to feel good about these eagles being on the beaches.

"Eagles transplanted to the beaches and driven out of their natural habitat" is op-ed. Why? Same reason as above. Intended to get an emotional response. Yes it's informative. But that isn't its purpose. It's purpose is to influence your opinion.

All three of the above statements might be true. None of them must be wrong, in order for either of the other two to be right. All three are factual. But only one is news. The other two are op-ed. Not lies, just spin.

FYI none of them are true, I made it up to show an example.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:05 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
There's also the issue about the word itself. "Media" does not mean "news." Even "news media" doesn't mean "news." The words are bandied about and interchanged so often, that it's no wonder people use them to describe things that they don't actually mean. The media is TV, print, video, Facebook, other internet carriage of information and entertainment. Entertainment falls into that category, so do gossip magazines. It's all produced, performed, published, and displayed by "the media."

News media is media that is not intentionally entertainment (though it could very well be entertaining). Op-ed programs like Face the Nation and Fox & Friends - is produced by news media, even though neither are actually "news."

News is information. Nothing more or less. It is exclusively information. It might be information that adds to something you already knew, or is something that is literally "new." But it is not op-ed, it isn't entertainment (though again - it could be entertaining).

"Eagles have been nesting on Delray Beach this season" is news, because it provides information, with no emotional attachment to it.

"Beautiful eagles have graced our beaches" is op-ed. Why? Because it is intended to draw out your emotional response. The writer wants you to feel good about these eagles being on the beaches.

"Eagles transplanted to the beaches and driven out of their natural habitat" is op-ed. Why? Same reason as above. Intended to get an emotional response. Yes it's informative. But that isn't its purpose. It's purpose is to influence your opinion.

All three of the above statements might be true. None of them must be wrong, in order for either of the other two to be right. All three are factual. But only one is news. The other two are op-ed. Not lies, just spin.

Jazuela,

I just had to pop in here to tell you that is an excellent piece of writing.

Your “made up” examples perfectly explain news vs. the amygdala hijack.

I picked up that term when I was reading an article about how even really smart people get scammed. We are always hearing about those things happening that we can’t believe people can’t see through.

Turns out — it’s science. They know how to target the amygdala, the emotional part of the brain, and keep it fired up until they get the response they want.

Last edited by Boomer; 03-22-2019 at 11:12 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
The thread is about TRUTH and HONESTY......you folks want to blame the media for reporting lying........thats really something.

Liars lie....if the media reports that...they are not the liars......so much has gone under the bridge with bold faced lying, that we have simply lost the ability to recognize truth or even care.

if that fact and it IS a fact does not give you serious pause, then you better quickly examine yourself. Lying does not have a political label...it is lying and when the lies are about our country......hey, we have the absolute right to know the truth about our economics....etc.......not plaititudes.

Again I ask you to supply one....just one example of a news media tellng an outright lie on the coverage of news.....legit sources please. i keep asking and never get any. so what the hey are you talking about ?
Exactly bucco!

In this day and time, being truthful and honest MATTERS,, the world is watching but more importantly our children. The media is not at fault for reporting with video, lies, it's the LIAR that needs that bar of soap!
Old 03-23-2019, 06:21 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post

Brilliant!
Old 03-23-2019, 07:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

The media is not the enemy but our values have been compromised. Fact check all sources and then , and only then draw your own conclusions and I'm sure it will be a good one.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
The media is not the enemy but our values have been compromised. Fact check all sources and then , and only then draw your own conclusions and I'm sure it will be a good one.
I only wish, truly wish...I shared your optimism.

I guess there's just been too many conversations I've had, where it has been basically stated that, "there is NOTHING, even proved facts, that will make me change my mind about MY person/viewpoint" has discouraged me of any hope of rational decisions by some...based on honesty, integrity and ethics.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
I only wish, truly wish...I shared your optimism.

I guess there's just been too many conversations I've had, where it has been basically stated that, "there is NOTHING, even proved facts, that will make me change my mind about MY person/viewpoint" has discouraged me of any hope of rational decisions by some...based on honesty, integrity and ethics.
I have had those conversations as well. Some believe strongly they are doing the right thing, thinking the right way, believe they make rational decisions based on honesty, integrity and ethics.. There are a lot of people who think they are right and worse, think they are always right. They even believe they have the ultimate truth. But what is worse is their superior attitude, don't you think?
Old 03-23-2019, 08:31 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I have had those conversations as well. Some believe strongly they are doing the right thing, thinking the right way, believe they make rational decisions based on honesty, integrity and ethics.. There are a lot of people who think they are right and worse, think they are always right. They even believe they have the ultimate truth. But what is worse is their superior attitude, don't you think?
My views on truth and honesty will not change, and I think that position on truth and honesty is the superior position. I welcome to hear from those who believe truth and honesty is not superior to the alternative.

I am open on issues.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Mark Twain quotations - Opinion

Mark Twain's opinions on opinions.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Mark Twain quotations - Opinion

Mark Twain's opinions on opinions.
Thank you Tal.

We needed that.

Tags
truth, fact, investigate, check, time

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.