Please investigate the truth

Closed Thread
Old 03-21-2019, 11:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
Fact manipulation is easier now than it has ever been. Quotes taken out of context, pictures that have been photoshopped, videos that have been edited, studies presented with inaccurate statistics etc
The flip side is that almost all NEWS is backed up with video and tape recordings.

NO major newspaper does not back up interviews with tapes and we see video every day, of course then told the video is a lie

Questions asked and answered are basically all on video or simple tape recording. Even those "sources" are known by the media and if pushed it is available

Pretty transparent actually.

Just to respond to the poster who asked....why would anyone have an guest interviewed that lies......ANSWER.....sometimes to get his/her lies on video, and in others...that person who lies is who the organization sends as you try to cover the news.

I did a lot of this for a living, well before the advent of so much tape, etc, and even then....EVERYTHING was documented on established reliable media.......the biggest asset that these folks have is reputation and integrity and they sure will protect that.

REMEMBER....when you see that liar interviewed on TV, he/she may not care about what you think...they are speaking to those followers who want and devour the lies.

AS a PS.....quotes, again on the major newspapers, etc, are sometimes edited for space, but you VERY SELDOM IF EVER SEE SOMEONE CALL ANY MEDIA OUTLET BECAUSE THEY, FOR SURE, CAN BACK IT UP.....THUS THE YELLING HOW THE MANIPULATED A QUOTE IS HOGWASH.....THE MEDIA JUST HAS TO DECIDE WHEN OR IF TO SUPPLY THE BACK UP.

Believe me, the media, or most.....NY TIMES, WASH POST, etc....DO NOT EVER EVER MAKE THINGS UP......if they err someone loss their job......when is the last time you heard a public figure make such a claim of fakery and have it play out that way ??

Nothing Proves You Right Like Getting It on ‘Tape’ - The New York Times

Last edited by Bucco; 03-21-2019 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,542 Times in 1,926 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Fact manipulation is easier now than it has ever been. Quotes taken out of context, pictures that have been photoshopped, videos that have been edited, studies presented with inaccurate statistics etc
So true. Even for the most open minded people, it is difficult to get to the truth. Many of the trusted news sources nowadays have headlines from their opinion writers that are meant to encourage the public to open and read and thus be counted as clickbait, which often governs the financial backing of the news source. When read the headlines turn out to be opinion rather than fact.

Even when the truth is presented, it's veracity is argued and what is accepted by one is not accepted by another.

Many of us have learned to discard all questionable news sources but even those that most people trust, will use headlines that are misleading. It is important to read the entire piece and then get stressed. The more a person is good with words, the more he/she can fool you that he/she is writing the truth. Sometimes bumblers give better "tells".
Old 03-21-2019, 11:51 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
So true. Even for the most open minded people, it is difficult to get to the truth. Many of the trusted news sources nowadays have headlines from their opinion writers that are meant to encourage the public to open and read and thus be counted as clickbait, which often governs the financial backing of the news source. When read the headlines turn out to be opinion rather than fact.

Even when the truth is presented, it's veracity is argued and what is accepted by one is not accepted by another.

Many of us have learned to discard all questionable news sources but even those that most people trust, will use headlines that are misleading. It is important to read the entire piece and then get stressed. The more a person is good with words, the more he/she can fool you that he/she is writing the truth. Sometimes bumblers give better "tells".
Would you please supply one specific example of what you are talking about ? One from internet and one from newspaper..

NEWS NOT OPINION PIECES

Maybe Reuters, New York Times,etc.

Thanks

Again, the truth is there and very easy to determine
Old 03-21-2019, 12:41 PM
Sage

No.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
No.
NONE...NOT ONE can so that is acceptable that you are unable
Old 03-21-2019, 01:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,175 Times in 441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
The flip side is that almost all NEWS is backed up with video and tape recordings.

NO major newspaper does not back up interviews with tapes and we see video every day, of course then told the video is a lie

Questions asked and answered are basically all on video or simple tape recording. Even those "sources" are known by the media and if pushed it is available

Pretty transparent actually.

Just to respond to the poster who asked....why would anyone have an guest interviewed that lies......ANSWER.....sometimes to get his/her lies on video, and in others...that person who lies is who the organization sends as you try to cover the news.

I did a lot of this for a living, well before the advent of so much tape, etc, and even then....EVERYTHING was documented on established reliable media.......the biggest asset that these folks have is reputation and integrity and they sure will protect that.

REMEMBER....when you see that liar interviewed on TV, he/she may not care about what you think...they are speaking to those followers who want and devour the lies.

AS a PS.....quotes, again on the major newspapers, etc, are sometimes edited for space, but you VERY SELDOM IF EVER SEE SOMEONE CALL ANY MEDIA OUTLET BECAUSE THEY, FOR SURE, CAN BACK IT UP.....THUS THE YELLING HOW THE MANIPULATED A QUOTE IS HOGWASH.....THE MEDIA JUST HAS TO DECIDE WHEN OR IF TO SUPPLY THE BACK UP.

Believe me, the media, or most.....NY TIMES, WASH POST, etc....DO NOT EVER EVER MAKE THINGS UP......if they err someone loss their job......when is the last time you heard a public figure make such a claim of fakery and have it play out that way ??

Nothing Proves You Right Like Getting It on ‘Tape’ - The New York Times
Again, spot on! If the ONLY news "source" is what the viewer relies on, they are fooling themselves. Investigate, and then, only then make an educated conclusion. When posters say all media is worthless but will base all opinions on one source, one individual and not be open minded to possibly learn the error of their way, based solely on one's bias, they are ONLY fooling them self period.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,364 Times in 2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Again, spot on! If the ONLY news "source" is what the viewer relies on, they are fooling themselves. Investigate, and then, only then make an educated conclusion. When posters say all media is worthless but will base all opinions on one source, one individual and not be open minded to possibly learn the error of their way, based solely on one's bias, they are ONLY fooling them self period.
I try to look at multiple sources and then get to the facts using my knowledge of history, common sense, and the track record of whomever I am researching to see what kind of reputation for character and truthfulness that person has had over the years.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
I am asserting myself a bit on this thread (to many posters chagrin and displeasure) because I KNOW, not guessing what good journalism looks like and KNOW the backup and checking for accuracy needed before a story sees the light of day.

The attack on these people serve nobody but the attackers attempt to discredit, and thats it.....it seems now to have become the glue that holds a group together and I cry to see any movement based on lying and defamation. THAT is simply wrong.

I recall when BOB Woodward wrote a book and was called a liar among other names UNTIL HE BROUGHT OUT HIS TAPES....nothing since. The NY Times had occasion after much internal discussion to do the same thing (they do not like to do that...ie., make the story about them)

It, with much cheerleading, has become the thing to do.....blame the media for your sins......never thought that people could actually buy into this but it appears some do, thus basing their entire thought process on a lie.

Cable "news" is a joke. The highest rated network are fighting, right now, at least THREE lawsuits for defamation and lying which they will settle at some point.

The only defense for lying is THE TRUTH and for anyone to believe that folks like the NYTIMES, or WASHPOST would in anyway put into jeopardy their integrity or morals...their biggest single asset is simply ludicrous.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
NONE...NOT ONE can so that is acceptable that you are unable
Oh. O.K...…………

edith ann. and that's the truth. - Bing
Old 03-21-2019, 01:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Gracie, you and others are the ones making the claims, in this case that the media is dishonest, twist things, etc. So, in my humble opinion you have to make a case. You mention "click bait" thus your involvement or knowledge on this seems limited.

If I make a claim, I will back it up with facts and so should you...that is what conversation, debate, discussion is all about.

Your cute little addition is expected......attack the poster and not the subject which is honesty and media accuracy.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:54 PM
Sage

A sense of humor. It is a wonderful attribute. The most important part is to be able to laugh at oneself.

I believe it either gifted to us at birth or not.

No matter what matters on this day. It will be forgotten ten years from now. Five years from now. One year from now.

It is a shame to manufacture anger when time is so precious.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
A sense of humor. It is a wonderful attribute. The most important part is to be able to laugh at oneself.

I believe it either gifted to us at birth or not.

No matter what matters on this day. It will be forgotten ten years from now. Five years from now. One year from now.

It is a shame to manufacture anger when time is so precious.
Humor is wonderful....glad you think you have it.

I find honesty and truthfulness to be serious, and the OPs thread is not funny, because the results reach far and wide much much longer than a year.

I also think the preservation of TRUTH and HONESTY far outweighs a sense of humor.

By the way, I have not seen any humor in your unfounded accusations, and while you felt you were being "humorous" with your little cute video, I saw it as mocking me, which is typical.

The thread is serious...truth and honesty. It involves all facets of life to know who is lying to us. Joke would work fine on a thread about dog poo, but being honest is a serious subject. If you think it is not, that is your right.

Again, YOU are making claims you cannot back up, then send a cartoon.

Hoping you might add to the actual content of a great thread
Old 03-21-2019, 02:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,495 Times in 2,286 Posts

Quote:
The Covington High School fiasco is a perfect example. The media was doing everything in its power to portray the high school kids as the instigators. There was a thread on this forum condemning them and their parents. A good majority of the people on this forum who replied to that thread jumped on that bandwagon.

Then later on the entire video was finally aired. Most everyone then changed their tune.

Even to this day you don't see much coverage on the group that were the real antagonists..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 03-21-2019, 02:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
The Covington High School fiasco is a perfect example. The media was doing everything in its power to portray the high school kids as the instigators. There was a thread on this forum condemning them and their parents. A good majority of the people on this forum who replied to that thread jumped on that bandwagon.

Then later on the entire video was finally aired. Most everyone then changed their tune.

Even to this day you don't see much coverage on the group that were the real antagonists..
Well, I never posted on that ever, and I think it was more of a social media buzz (social media does not equal news)

Fuller Picture Emerges of Viral Video of Native American Man and Catholic Students - The New York Times

The above is the NY TIMES getting it straight as of that time.

Again, I detest social media and do never ever consider a viral video on YouTube, twitter or whatever as anything but junk food.

You have my okay to call me whatever should I comment on any social media video, sans any media representation. I am always amazed at folks who get their "news" from Facebook or that ilk. And I remind you, the fires were stoked and it was the real journalists who put this together and insure the truth got out.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,495 Times in 2,286 Posts

Quote:
Well, I never posted on that ever, and I think it was more of a social media buzz (social media does not equal news)

Fuller Picture Emerges of Viral Video of Native American Man and Catholic Students - The New York Times

The above is the NY TIMES getting it straight as of that time.

Again, I detest social media and do never ever consider a viral video on YouTube, twitter or whatever as anything but junk food.

You have my okay to call me whatever should I comment on any social media video, sans any media representation. I am always amazed at folks who get their "news" from Facebook or that ilk.
You most certainly did, and several times. Here is just one example you posted. https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...654-post9.html

Quote:
I stand with Nathan Phillips.

A true American in so many ways.

We are teaching hate today by example
Here is the entire thread. Some posts were deleted and of course the thread closed. Proud parents?

I'm sorry to post and run but I've got to go..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Closed Thread

Tags
truth, fact, investigate, check, time

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.