Are PODS waterproof??

Closed Thread
Old 08-23-2011, 12:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts
Default Are PODS waterproof??

Seriously thinking of a POD to move. My wife finds on the website that they are "water resistant" not "waterproof". She'd like me to cover every *&^%$ thing completely with a tarp. If that's the case, well, I'll not use a POD.

I think this is much ado about nothing, but would like input from someone who's actually used a POD (preferably in a rainstorm!!!!). Thanks.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:57 PM

Shipped everything we brought including my musical instruments and stored it in Longwood for two months and had no problem. The top was a type of poly plastic that fit over the outer sides and made a good seal. I am sure they keep check on them.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:13 PM
nkrifats

Not waterproof is correct. We shipped from RI to Villages. Am sure truck went thru some rain. No water inside. Top comes down over sides for a seal.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default waterproof?

Wonder if they are hurricane proof?...Ooops!
Old 08-23-2011, 02:38 PM

We used "Relocubes" from ABF because of the water issue; the relocubes are built to commercial/industrial standards. They are much more sturdier than the pods.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:26 AM
Default Pods

We moved from NJ in February with almost 2 feet of snow on the ground as well as the top of the POD. Tried to get most of it off. LOTS of boxes inside and few pieces of furniture. It was in storage for 2 months and everything was perfect when we opened it!
Old 08-24-2011, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
Seriously thinking of a POD to move. My wife finds on the website that they are "water resistant" not "waterproof". She'd like me to cover every *&^%$ thing completely with a tarp. If that's the case, well, I'll not use a POD.

I think this is much ado about nothing, but would like input from someone who's actually used a POD (preferably in a rainstorm!!!!). Thanks.
Hey John,

It's never a bad Idea to cover everything with a tarp. You never know if the pod has a small leak. A tarp (even if it's just heavy duty plastic) is better than nothing. At the very least it will keep dust off of your stuff.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

thanks for the replies. I can't see how a company would stay in business long renting out leaky boxes!
Old 08-24-2011, 10:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I sure hope they are water proof. All our stuff that we will need and we like a LOT is sitting in them right now.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:30 AM

From the various posts I have read the POD seems the best way to go. We are hoping to move down the first of the year and I was concerned abot the POD and bad wheater. How about insurance, is that available?
Old 09-09-2011, 09:21 PM
Default Any of those instruments pianos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokey View Post
Shipped everything we brought including my musical instruments and stored it in Longwood for two months and had no problem. The top was a type of poly plastic that fit over the outer sides and made a good seal. I am sure they keep check on them.
I was hoping to ship our baby grand piano. Has anyone out there tried it? I have just had it converted into a player. When they removed it from our home for the upgrade I was surprised to see that they dismantled it for shipping to the warehouse. They broke it down into three pieces that they put into the truck vertically. I was hoping to do the same thing in the POD and perhaps add a few other things to it!
Old 10-15-2011, 05:58 PM

Has anyone ever used Pack Rat to ship stuff to TV? Mu husband got quotes from both PODS and Pack Rat? Not sure which to use?
Old 10-29-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post

we used them for our move from Orlando, worked fine . Don't know if it waqs rained on while in storage, but contents were dry when we got it.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.