Pollution

Closed Thread
Old 05-08-2018, 05:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
Such interesting information. I am learning very much.
Their one room 225sf apartment with auto plug in garage, inside toilet, and wood stove was $1400 a month.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:54 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Their one room 225sf apartment with auto plug in garage, inside toilet, and wood stove was $1400 a month.
If you don't mind me asking why did he choose to live there?
Old 05-08-2018, 06:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
If you don't mind me asking why did he choose to live there?
He and his wife are doctors, and DINKs (Dual income no kids.). They would not have left except for there was an opportunity to move to Europe and they chose that adventure.

On the weekend they could go to France, over to Italy and many other countries.They lived there for six years. He was in London just down the street when a bomb on a bus exploded, many died. It was 8 long hours until we heard from him, that he was ok.

Two years ago they chose to move back to the states.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:20 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
He and his wife are doctors, and DINKs (Dual income no kids.). They would not have left except for there was an opportunity to move to Europe and they chose that adventure.

On the weekend they could go to France, over to Italy and many other countries.They lived there for six years. He was in London just down the street when a bomb on a bus exploded, many died. It was 8 long hours until we heard from him, that he was ok.

Two years ago they chose to move back to the states.
Very nice, good for them. My daughter and her husband lived in London for 3 years. Traveling is a wonderful educational experience.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Very nice, good for them. My daughter and her husband lived in London for 3 years.

Traveling is a wonderful educational experience.
Yep!

One of my all-time favorite quotes...is Ohhh so true.
Quote:
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.

Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

― Mark Twain, The Innocents Abroad/Roughing It

Old 05-08-2018, 08:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Yep!

One of my all-time favorite quotes...is Ohhh so true.

Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry, and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends.” – Maya Angelou
Old 05-09-2018, 06:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry, and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends.” – Maya Angelou
Yep!
Old 05-09-2018, 08:44 AM
Default Re: Pollution and not political

Quote:
This post is informative only. No political comments or blame. I found it very surprising that Alaska is worse than California and some areas of the country I would not have even considered.

Most polluted cities in the US - Business Insider
I understand your thought but in the end any change positive or negative will require government action. We all incuding me, blame others. Yet, the things you can most easily control is what YOU do.

Al Gore, has made a fortune spreading the global warming hysteria. I ask what has Al Gore done? He lives in a huge home, with a huge carbon footprint. He drives, flys etc
while he SCREAMS AT WHAT WE SHOULD DO.

Someone mentioned California. The recent fires caused by a STUPID act, released tons of pollution. The volcano eruption in Hawaii tons of pollution. All you can do is the best you can.

Air quality? Actually has gotten better. I remember New York City in the 1960's. On bad days, you eyes would burn and your lungs would hurt. The government forced pollution controls on the suto industry. Many complained, including me, but, it is far better than it was.

In the villages, it is always someone else not me. A lot of dirt, pollution, comes from plant pollen. Would YOU want plastic plants and cement-I WOULD NOT.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:13 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth View Post
I understand your thought but in the end any change positive or negative will require government action. We all incuding me, blame others. Yet, the things you can most easily control is what YOU do.

Al Gore, has made a fortune spreading the global warming hysteria. I ask what has Al Gore done? He lives in a huge home, with a huge carbon footprint. He drives, flys etc

Someone mentioned California. The recent fires caused by a STUPID act, released tons of pollution. The volcano eruption in Hawaii tons of pollution. All you can do is the best you can.

Air quality? Actually has gotten better. I remember New York City in the 1960's. On bad days, you eyes would burn and your lungs would hurt. The government forced pollution controls on the suto industry. Many complained, including me, but, it is far better than it was.

In the villages, it is always someone else not me. A lot of dirt, pollution, comes from plant pollen. Would YOU want plastic plants and cement-I WOULD NOT.
Moderator?
Old 05-09-2018, 09:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
Fairbanks Alaska experiences fine particle pollution (from wood burning stoves) and very clam winter air conditions, causing the air to not mix and the particles to remain suspended in the -40 to -60F temperatures. Over time the concentrations can cause bad "pollution" conditions (been there, lived that). Again, it is fine particles suspended in the air and not so much from CO or other common city pollutions that we may imagine or think of initially. the air is bad, but in other ways... but still bad due to climatological conditions.
"climatological"---is that really a word? I'll have to ask Jim Cantore----

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 05-09-2018, 09:45 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
"climatological"---is that really a word? I'll have to ask Jim Cantore----
"scientific study of climates," 1803, from climate + -ology.
climatologic [klahy-muh-tl-oj-ik] (Show IPA), climatological, adjective

Couldn't you just appreciate the interesting information?
Old 05-09-2018, 01:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth View Post

Air quality? Actually has gotten better. I remember New York City in the 1960's. On bad days, you eyes would burn and your lungs would hurt. The government forced pollution controls on the auto industry. Many complained, including me, but, it is far better than it was.

Yep, you're certainly not the only one who complained and predicted that pollution regulations...would be the demise of our entire economy.

It obviously wasn't.

Some people just have to be drug kicking and screaming to make our country/the world...a better place for our children/grandchildren.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:37 PM
fw102807

I did not ask how it happened or what we are going to do to stop it. I simply found it very interesting about some of the places that were named and got some very interesting responses. Please stay on topic.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,942 Times in 2,461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
I would bet that the poor ranking of Fairbanks air quality...is based solely on wintertime conditions.

Having also been there in the summer a number of times, the air quality is quite nice...if you don't count mosquitoes the size of Cessna's!

I mean really, how in the heck can a mosquito survive winters that cold...then grow so damned big and hungry?!

22 hours of sun! Mosquitoes/ ticks will never freeze out, the survived 10s of millions of years.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
22 hours of sun! Mosquitoes/ ticks will never freeze out, the survived 10s of millions of years.
It was rhetorical.
Closed Thread

Tags
areas, california, country, considered, worse

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.