Run Flat Tires

Closed Thread
Old 10-31-2018, 11:41 AM
Sage
Default Run Flat Tires

Its getting real difficult to find a car that doesn't have "run flat tires", -i drive long distances several times a year to participate in the competitive sport that I love--these cars don't have a spare, don't have a jack & lug wrench- the run flats are only good for 50miles @ 50mph

If I stick with the brand I love, I'll have to get a roof top carrier for a spare, jack & wrench
Old 10-31-2018, 12:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

I hear you, I really do not like run flat due to the harsh ride. My car actually has regular tires, NO spare, but a jack, and a "repair kit" for small holes or punctures, so far so good.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:33 PM
Sage

My wife car has run flats, the ride isn't harsh--the car never leaves TV's-but the tire life is 25 K -she'll have to either get new tires, but she always gets the 2-3year itch for a new car--I keep my car till it croaks pushing 160K
Old 10-31-2018, 12:39 PM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

I had a mini cooper roadster. First fun ride we took got a nail in the tire. Was about $400 for a new tire. Few months later, something else happened, another repeat of a new tire. Would not do them again, I travel too much to trust I will not run over something and have to try and find a replacement out in the middle of nowhere, as well as pay for the cost of a run flat.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Yes a big problem but I guess it helps with cutting down the weight of the car so we get better mileage and help reduce global warming. My car stays within 50 miles of home and we have AAA towing. Otherwise I think I would put the equipment in the trunk as we do not use it too offen.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane032657 View Post
I had a mini cooper roadster. First fun ride we took got a nail in the tire. Was about $400 for a new tire. Few months later, something else happened, another repeat of a new tire. Would not do them again, I travel too much to trust I will not run over something and have to try and find a replacement out in the middle of nowhere, as well as pay for the cost of a run flat.
In 2003 and 2009 we bought new Mini Coopers with run flat tires. Nothing but a headache from the beginning. I believe it was an extra $400 or $600 as an option. Never again, nobody would repair them if you snagged a nail.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:17 PM

I have run flats on my suv. I carry a repair plug kit and pump with slime. I will replace them with non run flats in a few thousand miles.
I’ve had 2 flats in 50 years and one was a bias tire so not concerned.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Heck, most people can’t find dipstick let lone figure when to check tire pressure, Cadillac had them in the early 90s, l called them thumpers, the gooey sealent would create out of balance.

When i’m Out And about see tires running low on pressure all the time. I guess the don’t see the idiot light in the dash saying LOW TIRE PRESSURE. So, with stiff walls with run flats I’m guess majority don’t have clue it they are low on pressure.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:34 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
In 2003 and 2009 we bought new Mini Coopers with run flat tires. Nothing but a headache from the beginning. I believe it was an extra $400 or $600 as an option. Never again, nobody would repair them if you snagged a nail.
I understand that if the tire gets a nail in it that you need to buy a new tire.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:33 AM
Default Re: Flats and the villages

Personal experience. I've driven for about 50 years and used to drive far more. Due to all the construction and modifications around the villages, I've had more flats in the past five years than in the previous 50. Two in golf cart. Two in car and like 3 on my bike.

The proper way to patch a tire is with a patch on the inside.
It is more expensive to do it that way because the tubeless tire needs to be taken off the rim. But if you think about it
when done form the inside the air pushes the patch on rather than trying to go around a plug.

MY OPINION-for my bike, I patch it myself but take the time to do it right. On the road it is far easier to carry a spare tube. For the golf cart-low speed we had the hole plugged. For the car, we had it patched from the inside by WILDWOOD TIRE. The price was reasonable, the service was polite and fast.

As to products such as SLIME. Before you put that in READ. The life of the product is two years. You end up with balls of stuff running around inside your tire.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth View Post
Personal experience. I've driven for about 50 years and used to drive far more. Due to all the construction and modifications around the villages, I've had more flats in the past five years than in the previous 50. Two in golf cart. Two in car and like 3 on my bike.

The proper way to patch a tire is with a patch on the inside.
It is more expensive to do it that way because the tubeless tire needs to be taken off the rim. But if you think about it
when done form the inside the air pushes the patch on rather than trying to go around a plug.

MY OPINION-for my bike, I patch it myself but take the time to do it right. On the road it is far easier to carry a spare tube. For the golf cart-low speed we had the hole plugged. For the car, we had it patched from the inside by WILDWOOD TIRE. The price was reasonable, the service was polite and fast.

As to products such as SLIME. Before you put that in READ. The life of the product is two years. You end up with balls of stuff running around inside your tire.
I use to mow 2 acres 20 plus years. the lawnmower rear tires were constantly getting small holes from the blackjack oak twigs. I put fix a flat (before green slim come out) in the rear tires, I would see the stuff oozing out then it would seal up.

after years of use I changed all the tires, the tires with the fix a flat in them the rims looked like new on the inside, the tires without fix a Flat were rusty, I he to sand blast them and re-paint. I put tubes in the tire with slime sealent, never had leaky tires after that.
Closed Thread

Tags
run, jack, tires, spare, flat

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.