Caution: Dollar Tree stores

Closed Thread
Old 04-21-2011, 09:16 AM
Default Caution: Dollar Tree stores

This chain of stores has a "no refund" policy, even with receipt. They will only allow an exchange for other store merchandise. They say that this is written on the back of every receipt, which is true, but you don't see it until you pay and get the receipt! There is no sign or other posting at the registers or anywhere in the store that explains this policy. I made the mistake of buying too many of an item and cannot get a refund. I will of course use the credit for something, but even so I believe this is not a fair policy, especially that it is not posted.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:22 AM

I too was caught by surprise by their refund policy. We are all used to the, 'satisfaction guaranteed or your money back' started by Montgomery Ward. You can see what it did for this chain! The Dollar store policy helps keep costs down. I never have a problem spending the credit, I love this store.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:35 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynasty View Post
I too was caught by surprise by their refund policy. We are all used to the, 'satisfaction guaranteed or your money back' started by Montgomery Ward. You can see what it did for this chain! The Dollar store policy helps keep costs down. I never have a problem spending the credit, I love this store.
I'm sorry that Twinklesweep had a bad experience at one of my wife's favorite stores. However, I agree with Dynasty. I really don't see the problem. Yeah it would be nice to have a sign up, but how many stores do? We are talking each item is a buck.

Xavier
Old 04-21-2011, 11:28 AM

Agree with dynasty and xavier.

What kind of stuff do you guys buy a Dollar Store?
My son got me using DS dishwasher gel detergent - that stuff works just fine.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:25 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoseman View Post
Agree with dynasty and xavier.

What kind of stuff do you guys buy a Dollar Store?
My son got me using DS dishwasher gel detergent - that stuff works just fine.
All kinds of stuff - my wife buys greeting cards all the time, 2 for $1. She makes homemade Granola and uses their dried tropical fruit as one of the ingredients. Their cookies, surprisingly good. Puzzle books, coloring books, crayons, stickers, etc. for the youngest grandchild. Glass bowls/vases, potpourri, dollies and small strings of lights to make nice little light up decorations for the bathrooms or as gifts around Christmas. Some of their cleaning products are as good as any. My wife could go on and on.

Xavier
Old 04-21-2011, 12:33 PM
Gold member

For several years, dollar stores (Family Dollar, Dollar General, Dollar Tree etc.) have been by far the fastest growing outlets for consumer products.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:56 PM
Sage

Best ginger snaps around... Can't beat 'em for a buck. They often had loaves of bread, hogie rolls, kaiser rolls for a buck.

Also, they do not take credit cards....only cash or debit cards. Not sure about checks. Best dollar store around for my buck!!!
Old 04-22-2011, 10:47 PM

Dollar Tree sells some great stuff at an obviously reasonable price. I didn't say anything about their merchandise. I just feel that a no-refund policy should be posted at their registers and wanted people to be aware of it if they weren't already.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:53 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Twink-

I agree. I am sure that the no refunds policy plays a major tole in keeping the prices low, but folks should be made aware of it before they buy.

I think some folks felt that the "beware" in your header was a bit strong, so they felt the need to offer their support for a store that does offer good merchandise at a good value...

k

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.