Protect me from what?

Closed Thread
Old 06-21-2011, 02:25 PM
Founder
Default Protect me from what?

This morning at 8:14, I got one of those calls..."hello, this is Skip with the Florida Fraternal Order of police. For your protection, this call is being recorded."

I said, "Protection from what?" He paused a big pause, didn't answer my question and continued with his pitch. I interrupted him and said, "This call is being recorded to protect me from what?"

He said, "I'm having a hard time hearing you." I said, "Listen closely, you are recording this call for my protection. What are you protecting me from?"

He said, "I'm glad you asked that question," then he continued with his pitch.

Suddenly the line when dead.....from my end. Thank you.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

I always like to ask those pitchmen for the police, state troopers, etc., what the amount of my contribution will go to the organization. When they say 15% I ask them to explain where the other 85% goes. Talk about beating around the bush.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:03 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I always like to ask those pitchmen for the police, state troopers, etc., what the amount of my contribution will go to the organization. When they say 15% I ask them to explain where the other 85% goes. Talk about beating around the bush.
its a labor union. why would anyone contribute to them? they collect dues from their members.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:17 PM
Sage

I was informed by a friend these calls are from someone like a tele-marketing type firm that are calling on behalf of the police. When I first received this type of call, I thought they were from an actually policeman

Sunday morning, (Father's Day), I received a call similar to this where the person did not identify themselves but launch into their presentation without a chance to respond in kind. I blieve she was performing a research study and said they were not trying to sell anything.

I informed them I did not have the time as I was going out and hung -up. I think it's rude for anyone that wants to take up your time and energy without asking if your okay with their proposal. At least I listened for a short while before I gave a reason for not wanting to do their survey. They never called back, thank goodness. This call annoyed me.

Recently renewed my "donotcall" listing and it should take effect in July.

My understanding is that unless you are doing business with a company, they do not have the right to call you, (tele-marketing firms should be exclude with the donotcall listing). However, my credit card company keeps calling trying to add services that I did not request or want.

Unfortunately, I never asked the phone company for a unlisted number.
Thank goodness for the caller display function and voicemail.

Last edited by 2BNTV; 06-21-2011 at 03:30 PM. Reason: additional comment
Old 06-21-2011, 03:23 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Scam - Bam - Thank you - Man!!! Odds on that this is what the call is! If you're not interested hangup (why's it called "hang up" when you actually put the phone down?) but if you are interested and want to support their cause, ask for a name and phone number you can call back. If it's a scam the response will probably be "Click"! "Bye-bye evil guy!"
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 06-21-2011, 04:00 PM
Gold member

The other day I was went to Publix and outside were a couple of guys dressed in fatigues that was collecting money for vets. From my experience this is also a scam and wonder why Publix agrees to let these people "beg" outside. Of course I didn't donate but when I went to the cashier I mentioned that these people were a scam. She said that there was another person who mentioned to her that she thought it was strange that their uniforms were not dirty.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 06-21-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrheydt View Post
The other day I was went to Publix and outside were a couple of guys dressed in fatigues that was collecting money for vets. From my experience this is also a scam and wonder why Publix agrees to let these people "beg" outside. Of course I didn't donate but when I went to the cashier I mentioned that these people were a scam. She said that there was another person who mentioned to her that she thought it was strange that their uniforms were not dirty.

John
strange that their uniforms were not dirty,now that in itself is STRANGE. I also am not in favor of these collecting tactics. But "uniforms NOT dirty". WOW some people live a sheltered life.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:08 PM
Gold member

the fraternal order of police and the police benevolent association are just fancy titles of their respective bargaining agents ie unions! they both hire outside firms to do these things which is deplorable in my opinion.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:11 PM
Gold member

Most of the calls on behalf of police benevolent associations are legit in that they do usually collect on behalf of a legit police association. But the "collection agency's" take is up to 90% of the proceeds, which is outrageous. It doesn't say much about the negotiation ability of the police benevolent associations, does it? Who in the world would give up that much of a revenue stream? Simple laziness, I'm guessing. TH, I'm with you. Hang up on 'em.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
This morning at 8:14, I got one of those calls..."hello, this is Skip with the Florida Fraternal Order of police. For your protection, this call is being recorded."

I said, "Protection from what?" He paused a big pause, didn't answer my question and continued with his pitch. I interrupted him and said, "This call is being recorded to protect me from what?"

He said, "I'm having a hard time hearing you." I said, "Listen closely, you are recording this call for my protection. What are you protecting me from?"

He said, "I'm glad you asked that question," then he continued with his pitch.

Suddenly the line when dead.....from my end. Thank you.
For your protection. Sheesh. That almost sounds like a shakedown.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
............My understanding is that unless you are doing business with a company, they do not have the right to call you, (tele-marketing firms should be exclude with the donotcall listing). However, my credit card company keeps calling trying to add services that I did not request or want. ...........
2B - Certain organizations are permitted to call even though you signed up for the Do Not Call registry. From http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...ts/alt107.shtm : "Calls from or on behalf of political organizations, charities, and telephone surveyors would still be permitted, as would calls from companies with which you have an existing business relationship, or those to whom you’ve provided express agreement in writing to receive their calls."

Bill
Old 06-21-2011, 06:23 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
For your protection. Sheesh. That almost sounds like a shakedown.
as evidenced by some of the comments on here, leo's have a hard enough time getting much deserved respect without this despicable action on behalf of their union.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:05 PM
Veteran member

I too received a call this morning at 8:15 which woke me up and did make me a happy camper. I asked the caller for his 501 c (3) number (so as to verify the tax deductibility to an non-profit). He told me that he didn't know what I was talking about. I asked to speak to his supervisor who was unavailable. I told him since I was being recorded, he could play it back to the supervisor when he was available and then he could call me back with the needed information. I also told him not to call me until he had my requested info. So far, no one has called back!
Old 06-21-2011, 07:35 PM
Platinum member

I used to feel a tinge of guilt about not listening to phone solicitors. Maybe one or more were really worthy of my support.

Then I made rule.

I politely mention that I do not respond to any phone requests, but will look at anything sent me in the mail. (I assume if they have my number, they have my address).

I cannot recall one solicitor asking for my address, nor can I remember receiving a single piece of mail from any of the callers.

No more tinges. Great rule.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:12 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

I simply say that I do not accept any telephone solicitations and immediately hang up.

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.