Puerto Rico Disaster

Closed Thread
Old 10-06-2017, 08:26 AM
Gold member

The situation in Puerto Rico has our country in a very bad predicament. Puerto Rico is considered a welfare state, where only about 40% of the working age people actually work. Plus the country is famous for the overall corruption of their government. They are about to go into full bankruptcy, and I just read that they are out of cash on October 31. How can we afford to give them a couple hundred billion (that's billion with a B) dollars to bail them out? Our own debt is already out of control. On the other hand, we can't ignore the suffering of our fellow American citizens. At the very least our politicians must put severe conditions on any money sent there - there must be accountability and oversight by the U.S. Government. Hopefully we'll find a way to balance these issues and get them the humanitarian help they need.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
The situation in Puerto Rico has our country in a very bad predicament. Puerto Rico is considered a welfare state, where only about 40% of the working age people actually work. Plus the country is famous for the overall corruption of their government. They are about to go into full bankruptcy, and I just read that they are out of cash on October 31. How can we afford to give them a couple hundred billion (that's billion with a B) dollars to bail them out? Our own debt is already out of control. On the other hand, we can't ignore the suffering of our fellow American citizens. At the very least our politicians must put severe conditions on any money sent there - there must be accountability and oversight by the U.S. Government. Hopefully we'll find a way to balance these issues and get them the humanitarian help they need.
I know very little about Puerto Rico but sensed some underlying problems. This clarifies the situation a lot to me. Many of us have only met a few people from Puerto Rico in our lifetime.

Your summary sounds fair to me and worrisome to all. I saw no reason why the hostility from people in charge there. They seemed to be lashing out for some reason. There is always more to learn.

Apparently the Teamsters Union were controlling distribution of the materials that had arrived and weren't being public spirited?
Old 10-06-2017, 09:14 AM
Veteran member

Really, the Teamsters Union were controlling distribution.

When in doubt, just make stuff up.

FACT CHECK: Did Puerto Rico's Teamsters Union Go on Strike During Hurricane Maria Relief Efforts?
Old 10-06-2017, 09:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertl View Post
Really, the Teamsters Union were controlling distribution.

When in doubt, just make stuff up.

FACT CHECK: Did Puerto Rico's Teamsters Union Go on Strike During Hurricane Maria Relief Efforts?
Yep.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:03 PM
Sage

There was no mention of a strike by me. It says in this article for whatever the reason, that only 20% of truck drivers reported back to work after the hurricane. Perhaps 80% could not get to work and the Teamsters Union had nothing to do with it.

Read here;

American Teamsters were sending Volunteers to the Island.

Teamsters organize truckers to move supplies in Puerto Rico
Old 10-06-2017, 02:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
There was no mention of a strike by me. It says in this article for whatever the reason, that only 20% of truck drivers reported back to work after the hurricane. Perhaps 80% could not get to work and the Teamsters Union had nothing to do with it.

Read here;

American Teamsters were sending Volunteers to the Island.

Teamsters organize truckers to move supplies in Puerto Rico
Actually, the article says "...IN PART because"

These false, phoney articles began very soon in response to criticism and were flat out made up

This from International Teamsters....

"WASHINGTON) – The Teamsters Union denounces reports from online, anti-union sources that stated Teamster truck drivers in Puerto Rico have refused to move supplies from the port as part of an effort to leverage wage increases from the government. These reports are false and have no basis in fact.

The truth is that members from Teamsters Local Union 901 in San Juan have been working or volunteering since the day after the hurricane passed, helping with disaster relief and recovery.
“Let me be clear – Teamsters in Puerto Rico have been working on the relief efforts since day one,” said Alexis Rodriguez, Secretary-Treasurer of Teamsters Local Union 901. “Anyone that has reported anything different is lying. Our only agenda is to help bring Puerto Rico back better and stronger.”
“These viral stories spreading across the internet are nothing but lies perpetrated by anti-union entities to further their destructive agenda,” said Teamsters General President Jim Hoffa. “The fact that they are attempting to capitalize on the suffering of millions of citizens in Puerto Rico that are dire need of our help by pushing these false stories, just exposes their true nature.”

Teamsters Denounce False Reports of Work Stoppage by Union Drivers in Puerto Rico | Teamsters

DWIGHT EISENHOWER (1890-1969)
The qualities of a great man are "vision, integrity, courage, understanding, the power of articulation, and profundity of character."
Old 10-06-2017, 02:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyrd View Post
Actually, the article says "...IN PART because"

These false, phony articles began very soon in response to criticism and were flat out made up.

This from International Teamsters....

"WASHINGTON) – The Teamsters Union denounces reports from online, anti-union sources that stated Teamster truck drivers in Puerto Rico have refused to move supplies from the port as part of an effort to leverage wage increases from the government. These reports are false and have no basis in fact.

The truth is that members from Teamsters Local Union 901 in San Juan have been working or volunteering since the day after the hurricane passed, helping with disaster relief and recovery.
“Let me be clear – Teamsters in Puerto Rico have been working on the relief efforts since day one,” said Alexis Rodriguez, Secretary-Treasurer of Teamsters Local Union 901. “Anyone that has reported anything different is lying. Our only agenda is to help bring Puerto Rico back better and stronger.”
“These viral stories spreading across the internet are nothing but lies perpetrated by anti-union entities to further their destructive agenda,” said Teamsters General President Jim Hoffa. “The fact that they are attempting to capitalize on the suffering of millions of citizens in Puerto Rico that are dire need of our help by pushing these false stories, just exposes their true nature.”

Teamsters Denounce False Reports of Work Stoppage by Union Drivers in Puerto Rico | Teamsters
And came almost solely from particular sources/viewpoint, who have proved over and over...as being the 'real experts in fake news.'
Old 10-06-2017, 02:36 PM
Sage

The bottom line is that due to lack of transportation the goods did not get moved to the areas where people needed it.

Volunteers from THE TEAMSTERS UNION in U.S. were sent to move the goods.

THAT IS THE BOTTOM LINE.

Unions have a mixed history. Some very good folks and some very bad folks. Another bottom line.

I am allowed to think whatever I want and so are you.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The bottom line is that due to lack of transportation the goods did not get moved to the areas where people needed it.

Volunteers from THE TEAMSTERS UNION in U.S. were sent to move the goods.

THAT IS THE BOTTOM LINE.

Unions have a mixed history. Some very good folks and some very bad folks. Another bottom line.

I am allowed to think whatever I want and so are you.
I agree you can think what you want....the American way, right.

This "boy" prefers his thought process to be based on truth

DWIGHT EISENHOWER (1890-1969)
The qualities of a great man are "vision, integrity, courage, understanding, the power of articulation, and profundity of character."
Old 10-06-2017, 02:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyrd View Post
I agree you can think what you want....the American way, right.

This "boy" prefers his thought process to be based on truth
Yeah, me too, but it seems these days that 'truth-based' opinions/viewpoints...are just so limiting.
Closed Thread

Tags
people, puerto, rico, devastation, officials

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.