Questions about Apple Watches

Closed Thread
Old 11-10-2020, 10:16 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default Questions about Apple Watches

Under normal circumstances, I would be going to a store to learn more, but that always takes forever and I am avoiding long, indoor contact with people I do not know. I am not at all tech savvy — as you will see by the following questions.

Question #1: I now have an Android, but if I get an Apple Watch, will I have to get an iPhone to work with it?

Question #2: If I have to get an iPhone, will everything transfer from my current Android?

Question #3: Which Apple Watch would you suggest? What are the differences?

Question #4: If I have to get an iPhone, which one would you suggest?

Question #5: What could all this cost? Is there a price range?

Thanks.

Boomer
Old 11-10-2020, 10:29 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Under normal circumstances, I would be going to a store to learn more, but that always takes forever and I am avoiding long, indoor contact with people I do not know. I am not at all tech savvy — as you will see by the following questions.

Question #1: I now have an Android, but if I get an Apple Watch, will I have to get an iPhone to work with it?

Question #2: If I have to get an iPhone, will everything transfer from my current Android?

Thanks.

Boomer
It took 20 seconds with internet search. No. While you can use a cellular Apple Watch while using an Android phone, the watch won't pair to the phone, so they won't exchange data.Sep 22, 2020
Since your technology challenged stick with an analog or digital watch.
Old 11-10-2020, 10:42 AM
Veteran member

Boomer,

Q1. Why the interest in an Apple Watch? Is there a particular feature or function that interests you?

Q2. You mention that you have an Android. Is that an Android phone or watch?

Q3. If Q2 answer is a phone, how old is the phone?

Q4. What is your budget. Normally, nothing with an Apple logo on it will be cheap.
Old 11-10-2020, 11:15 AM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
It took 20 seconds with internet search. No. While you can use a cellular Apple Watch while using an Android phone, the watch won't pair to the phone, so they won't exchange data.Sep 22, 2020
Since your technology challenged stick with an analog or digital watch.
20 seconds? Analog? And a superiority dance to boot? But. But. But. I now have reasons for getting an Apple Watch. But I am not allowed because I am too stupid???

And, btw, I almost prefaced my questions by saying that I know that they are “dumb” but do not mock me. And, sure enough, it happened immediately.

Also, I know how to do an internet search. I have noticed lately though that is the stock, condescending answer that gets thrown at someone here who is just asking a question.

I have taught research. But there are times when I prefer anecdotal answers — and TOTV used to be the place to find that. But, still, I know there has to be someone here who will help me by synthesizing the information I want by generously sharing their knowledge. (Yes. There are fewer of us now. Too many others waiting to pounce.)

There is an insidious toxicity that shows up, more and more, in even the most innocent of threads. I really do need to stop looking at TOTV. Old habit that used to be fun. (sigh)

Sincerely,
Boomerosaurus

PS: (I am far too nice to point out the fact that you need to revisit the use of your/you’re.)

Last edited by Boomer; 11-10-2020 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-10-2020, 11:25 AM
Veteran member

Question #1: I now have an Android, but if I get an Apple Watch, will I have to get an iPhone to work with it? NO, except as just a watch.

Question #2: If I have to get an iPhone, will everything transfer from my current Android? Sort of, Maybe. Nothing will transfer automatically. You may need some help but your email should transfer over. You will have to install the Apple versions of your apps (if there is one) or install similar apps. Subscriptions my be a problem, you may have to cancel an Android app subscription and get a new one. This kind of question is best to ask at the store. The Apple store can help to do these transfers.

Current (Model 6), aluminum case. 45mm version is larger and easier to read.

Case material is different, aluminum is cheapest. Features are the same. The current version has an always-on display so that it is immediately visible. The current watch tracks heartbeat, blood oxygen levels, EKG. Notifies of an unusual heartbeat. If you get the LTE model you can make a 911 call on your watch even if you don't have your phone with you. It tracks how well you sleep.

Might as well get the latest, iPhone 12. Bigger ones are easier to read. All have outstanding cameras though there are some differences between them. Not sure if the small, iPhone Mini has all the features that the other models do.

Right now the Apple store is undergoing a change so I can't look up prices. But off the top of my head watch is $400 (for least expensive Model 6), iPhone $600 - $1400 depending on iPhone size and memory. But check the prices for yourself to be sure.

Thanks.

Boomer
Old 11-10-2020, 11:27 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

Quote:

Thanks.

Boomer
Have you considered getting a smart watch that pairs with android? Having used both technologies I find I much prefer the android.
Old 11-10-2020, 11:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

Quote:

Thanks.

Boomer
Q#1, I have had no luck getting Android and Apple products to pay nice with each other, IMHO, you would probably need to get a new phone.
Q#2, This will depend on how good the tech is at the phone store, I would go to your service supplier and ask this question directly. We have had problems every time we have changed phones, if we did NOT use the company approved cloud storage.
Q#3 to #5, I cannot help with these, good luck with your quest.
Old 11-10-2020, 11:37 AM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
Boomer,

Q1. Why the interest in an Apple Watch? Is there a particular feature or function that interests you?

Q2. You mention that you have an Android. Is that an Android phone or watch?

Q3. If Q2 answer is a phone, how old is the phone?

Q4. What is your budget. Normally, nothing with an Apple logo on it will be cheap.

1: I specifically want some of the fitness things that are on there. I know I can get that elsewhere but an Apple Watch has been recommended for its ability to better monitor.

While I sometimes look at the internet on my phone, it is only to read. I never use my phone to do anything money-related. When I do that, I have to be in my house, plugged in to my laptop. I just do not like the idea of handling money on something I can lose. I know a lot of people think that is archaic of me. I can check a stock price on my phone but I would never make a stock-move on my phone. I do not access my own accounts via phone.

2 and 3: It is an Android phone. Years ago, I started with that kind and just never switched, even when replacing. It is a Samsung - about 4 years old. (It is not the one that was setting people's pants on fire though.)

I wish I had switched to an iPhone last time but I did not. I do not live on my phone. I mainly talk and text and take pictures, read a little internet and my Kindle downloads, if I do not have my kindle with me. When I am on TOTV, I am on either my iPad or my laptop which is a Surface Pro. I prefer the iPad.

4. I can make the switch to an iPhone if necessary to get the Apple watch. But I tend not to make tech a spending priority.

I have been tempted by the big-sized iPhones I see, but, although this might sound silly, my Android fits perfectly in a side-zip pocket of my purse.

Thank you for trying to help.

Last edited by Boomer; 11-10-2020 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Punctuation mistake
Old 11-10-2020, 11:39 AM
Soaring Parsley

Thank you to all of you who are trying to help so far. I have to be somewhere soon but I will read through everything when I get back.
Old 11-10-2020, 12:31 PM
Veteran member

I have an iPhone and recently purchased a Garmin smartwatch. It pairs with everything on an Android phone and some things on an iPhone. I can't make/receive calls on my watch or read emails. I do get text notifications and other notices from my iPhone. It also indicates, by vibrating, who is calling when the phone rings and lists the name and phone number. It does pair with the Apple health app. I purchased the Garmin because, at the time of purchase, it did more things than the Apple watch and it included a golf function. The new Apple watch now does the few things that were missing when I made my purchase (it still doesn't have the golf function). I purchased the Garmin Vivoactive 4s and needed to download and print the entire manual in order to use my watch to its fullest capabilities.
Old 11-10-2020, 12:43 PM
Veteran member

If you don’t mind getting an older generation watch and phone, there are some good deals to be had on both the watch and phone at swappa.com. I would go with an iPhone X and a series 5 watch. You should be able to get both for around $750. I’ve bought several phones on swappa and have also sold some there. Never had any issues. I would be glad to look at any offers that you find.
Old 11-10-2020, 02:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

There is an Apple Users Group that has some impressive, knowledgeable leaders and members. If you have Apple products at any level it is an organization that is worth joining for 10 bucks a year. www.https://www.tvaug.org/

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 11-10-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:

Question #1: I now have an Android, but if I get an Apple Watch, will I have to get an iPhone to work with it.

Thanks.

Boomer
1. There are 2 types of watch, one with cellular (more expensive) and one without. You can buy a data plan for the cellular one. With the non cellular you really need your phone with you when you are outside a WiFi area. At your home or say at the gym where there is WiFi you don’t need the phone in range. Overall it’s a better experience with an iPhone.

2. There is an Android app in the Play Store - “Move to IOS,” - look at it and see what it transfers.

3. Always get the latest. Watch version 6 right now. Then depending on your wrist size get the largest that fits - 40mm or 44mm face size.

4. Again get the latest. Personally I’d look at the iPhone 12 mini purely as it’s a little bit smaller as I don’t do much on the phone. I use my iPad for almost everything at home. If you can change carriers and bring them a new line you’ll usually get $250 off a new phone. We went to Xfinity mobile and got that deal.

5. Apple Watch around $400 - you’ll probably get $40 to $60 off on Black Friday.

We have had iPads since the second version and love them but the Apple Watch is an absolutely fascinating gadget. We bought primarily for the exercise functions but it’s so much more.
Old 11-10-2020, 03:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,746 Posts

I have an Apple Watch, Boomer. I like it so much I leave my a Tag Heuer (a gift) in its box. Why? Because I like Apple’s functions. You do need an iPhone to synchronize it to. I got the cellular one because you can go walking with it or swimming and the watch works without the phone. You can call for help on your watch some ways from shore while you’re in the ocean as long as there are signal towers near by. You can call for help if you fall at home in the bath tub etc. You can text 911 if there is home invasion. The watch vibrates your wrist if you get a phone call or a text, or a reminder or whatever notification you want. This can be a nuisance when you are driving so you can turn it off. You may want to check out with AT&T (or whoever you want to use) how much the monthly fees are for what you want to use the phone and the watch for.

I never had android phone but hubby did and he said he had to start over on the iPhone but this was years ago.

I got the stainless steel watch because I use the watch constantly. The only time I take the watch off is to recharge the battery for 30 min a day. My iPhone has the largest memory possible because I take a lot of photos for art. Memory is expensive you may or may not want it. I have the bigger iPhone because it is easier to read, but for most things like reading recipes in the kitchen or writing on TOTV forum etc I use an iPad Pro as it has the large screen. It is always with me. Twice a year I might need to use a computer for something.

What I suggest is look at what you would like to use the phone and watch for and only buy those functions. So go for the cheapest of what you need. My favorite band for the watch is the Nike band because it likes water and it has holes so the skin can breathe. The colors from Apple are funky so I bought my own dove grey band not sold in the Apple store. It takes 5 seconds to change the band to leather when you want to look a bit dressier.

Prices for all products should be available at the Apple store if you Google it. Apple has wonderful tech support, they will get everything going for you all you have to do is call them they can do it remotely.

I do not use face recognition or finger print because I consider them invasion of privacy. You may not be such a stick in the mud though. Just letting you know. Got my first iPhone in 1998 I still have it and I have every series of Apple Watch except the most recent one because I don’t like the watch’s digital face being on all the time.

Last edited by Velvet; 11-10-2020 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-10-2020, 05:02 PM
Soaring Parsley

I just read through all of these helpful posts and got some answers I need.

(Velvet, I, too, am a “stick in the mud” about privacy. And I sure don’t want facial recognition. It’s bad enough when I have to recognize my own face on my phone when I start to take a picture and startle myself when I realize I have flipped the camera. This is especially horrifying if I am looking down at whatever I was trying to photograph. I assume fingerprinting and facial recognition can be turned off. Is that correct?)

My main concern about the transferring from Android has been that I don’t want to lose my pictures and/or my contacts.

I know I would like a big screen, even though the bigger screened iPhone would not fit in that convenient side pocket, with its own zipper, that is on the outside of my usual purse.

Thank you to all of you for the help you took the time to give me.

Boomer
Closed Thread

Tags
question, apple, iphone, android, watch

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.