Rarely see national anthems

Old 12-31-2023, 06:51 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default National Anthem Disrespected

I love our national anthem. My heart and mind goes to those moments Francis Scott Key wrote of and I actually picture them in my mind as they are sang. I don’t have any problem with it being played, but the disrespect that comes from those that do bothers me. It’s the moment where one removes their hat, another salutes, another places their hand over their heart simultaneously with those who try to talk over it and pick their noses.

Which is better, total reverence or the mixture that includes disrespect too?

Maybe that is America now and I just have to accept it. Orrrrrr maybe another God fearing time will come like in times past where all the people will have no choice but to come back to planet Earth and the respect for God and country.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning

Last edited by Normal; 12-31-2023 at 07:00 AM.
Old 12-31-2023, 10:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,524 Times in 3,110 Posts

I love that we have a National Anthem. I'm not fond of THAT National Anthem. I stand with respect when it's performed because like it or not, it's our National Anthem and therefore deserving of respect. It's a long-winded poem, most people don't know anything beyond the first verse, and it's rarely played beyond the first verse. It also reminds us of how absolutely normal slavery was, and that needs to be updated. "No refuge could save the hireling and slave from the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave..." Yes it's about a moment in time. But it was a bloody gruesome moment in time.

I'd much rather celebrate America, the Beautiful. But I think the whole "God shed his grace on thee and crowned thy good with brotherhood" is too much for anyone who has a problem with people actually feeling brotherhood toward each other without consideration of color, origin, preference, pronouns, accent.
Old 12-31-2023, 12:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I love that we have a National Anthem. I'm not fond of THAT National Anthem. I stand with respect when it's performed because like it or not, it's our National Anthem and therefore deserving of respect. It's a long-winded poem, most people don't know anything beyond the first verse, and it's rarely played beyond the first verse. It also reminds us of how absolutely normal slavery was, and that needs to be updated. "No refuge could save the hireling and slave from the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave..." Yes it's about a moment in time. But it was a bloody gruesome moment in time.

I'd much rather celebrate America, the Beautiful. But I think the whole "God shed his grace on thee and crowned thy good with brotherhood" is too much for anyone who has a problem with people actually feeling brotherhood toward each other without consideration of color, origin, preference, pronouns, accent.
Well said.
Old 01-01-2024, 12:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts
Thumbs up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_lCmBvYMRs

One of the best!
Old 01-01-2024, 06:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,913 Times in 4,142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
I love our national anthem. My heart and mind goes to those moments Francis Scott Key wrote of and I actually picture them in my mind as they are sang. I don’t have any problem with it being played, but the disrespect that comes from those that do bothers me. It’s the moment where one removes their hat, another salutes, another places their hand over their heart simultaneously with those who try to talk over it and pick their noses.

Which is better, total reverence or the mixture that includes disrespect too?

Maybe that is America now and I just have to accept it. Orrrrrr maybe another God fearing time will come like in times past where all the people will have no choice but to come back to planet Earth and the respect for God and country.
How about total reverence coupled with summary execution for all those who disrespect our anthem, our flag or our country?
Old 01-01-2024, 06:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,913 Times in 4,142 Posts

Quote:

And that's what a national anthem does. INCLUDING history that might be distasteful. I think it is a big mistake to try to erase history---tear down statues, rename sports teams and selectively teach our children.

Remember, ‘Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it.’---Jorge Agustín Nicolás Ruiz de Santayana y Borrás
Old 01-01-2024, 06:53 AM

They still sing the anthem at every live game I’ve been to. It’s such a shame some groups are taking away the pride in our county. Its shameful.
Old 01-01-2024, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Am I only one notice national anthems not shown at sporting events? At least ones I watch?
They rather put commercials on
Old 01-01-2024, 07:48 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

Another vote for “America The Beautiful” as our anthem, but we always stand & take off our hats for the anthem & also when the Flag passes by at parades.

It is bothersome that so few people do the same, even here in The Villages at the parades. It is not just young people either
Old 01-01-2024, 07:49 AM
Default Check out NASCAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Rarely see them before NFL games of late.
Not only does the national anthem get sung, it's on TV at the beginning of every race. And bonus... they also say a blessing. Probably still the most patriotic sport. Even with the new car.
Old 01-01-2024, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Am I only one notice national anthems not shown at sporting events? At least ones I watch?
We've just started watching "Kim's Convienance store" on Netflix. It's based in Canada and features a Korean family who own a store there. The father is an Archie Bunker type of character. I was just thinking that it would never be allowed these days here on ABC, NBC or CBS. it is very funny.
Old 01-01-2024, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Depends. I've attended many rodeos. They all play the national anthem before the festivities start. At the ones I've seen at the excel Center in St. Paul, MN (Home of the Minnesota Wild), they play the National Anthem, present the colors with much pageantry, AND have an invocation beforehand.

Love it.
Love Rodeo's, Love America. America's Heartland. America's Exceptionalism!
Giddyup!
Old 01-01-2024, 08:46 AM

I fail to see the significance of the national anthem or the pledge of allegiance especially at a sporting event. What purpose do you see for either of these? Why do you feel either one are needed?
Old 01-01-2024, 09:01 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,066 Times in 534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonOfInterest View Post
I fail to see the significance of the national anthem or the pledge of allegiance especially at a sporting event. What purpose do you see for either of these? Why do you feel either one are needed?
Thank you, I was trying to think of what to say, and you said it so perfectly....... I got rattled when I read 'American exceptionalism" and couldn't go carefully from there.
Old 01-01-2024, 09:03 AM

They use that time for commercials. Unless it's a big sporting event the networks could vare less about who is singing ut.

Tags
national, anthems, rarely, events, sporting

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.