Rarely see national anthems

Old 01-01-2024, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Am I only one notice national anthems not shown at sporting events? At least ones I watch?
That way, we don’t see who kneels, so the team owners won’t have to deal with the backlash.
Old 01-01-2024, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Am I only one notice national anthems not shown at sporting events? At least ones I watch?
If you go an NFL or NBA game in person, you will see the black national anthem. They don't show it on TV.
Old 01-01-2024, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Depends. I've attended many rodeos. They all play the national anthem before the festivities start. At the ones I've seen at the excel Center in St. Paul, MN (Home of the Minnesota Wild), they play the National Anthem, present the colors with much pageantry, AND have an invocation beforehand.

Love it.
I think the point is the sporting events play the anthem, but the networks don't show it. The only sports organization I can think of which DOES show it is NASCAR.

In fact, I was just thinking about this yesterday: Are NFL players still kneeling before the anthem? Remember, that was the backlash against the NFL for showing the players doing just that. It almost ruined the league. I'm guessing that may be why the anthem is no longer shown before the game.
Old 01-01-2024, 09:25 AM

Quote:
The tradition started during the Civil War and again during WWI. Why continue it if we are not at war? Except with ourselves!
Old 01-01-2024, 09:34 AM
Default Never Undersrtood

Quote:
I never understood why the national anthem is played at sporting events, with the exception of international events. What do local and national sporting events have to do with the national anthem? Play ball I say and forget about this silliness. If I want to hear music I buy a ticket to a concert. If I cared about my country, I would show it in a way on how I treat every person I come across in my daily travels. It is easy to say we are patriotic, but it really much harder to act that we care for all Americans than just saying we are!
Old 01-01-2024, 09:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,522 Times in 3,108 Posts

Brave soldiers fought and died for our right to kneel. While I don't kneel for anyone, and won't kneel for anyone until I meet god at the pearly gates - I don't begrudge anyone's right to do so at a sports event. It is their RIGHT - freedom of expression, freedom of speech. It's a kinda thing in the Constitution, something many people in America actually DO respect.
Old 01-01-2024, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
And that's what a national anthem does. INCLUDING history that might be distasteful. I think it is a big mistake to try to erase history---tear down statues, rename sports teams and selectively teach our children.

Remember, ‘Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it.’---Jorge Agustín Nicolás Ruiz de Santayana y Borrás
And in one post you write about those who disrespect our flag and our country should be summarily done away with and in the next post you write about we should not tear down statues of those who disrespected our flag and country by starting a civil war. Which is it? You can't have it both ways.
Old 01-01-2024, 10:42 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,066 Times in 534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GATORBILL66 View Post
If you go an NFL or NBA game in person, you will see the black national anthem. They don't show it on TV.
What are you talking about? "Black National Anthem"?
Old 01-01-2024, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eg_cruz View Post
They stopped broadcasting the national anthem, because of all the players taking their knees.
The viewing was at an all time low during and that crap, so they started with players had to stay in the lockers during the anthem, to not broadcasting the anthem to get viewers back.
It is beyond sad
. That's totally not true. They very rarely put the anthem on the TV broadcast well before that. Only big games. I'm not sure how many games you went to live but they do not stay in the locker room
Old 01-01-2024, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Brave soldiers fought and died for our right to kneel. While I don't kneel for anyone, and won't kneel for anyone until I meet god at the pearly gates - I don't begrudge anyone's right to do so at a sports event. It is their RIGHT - freedom of expression, freedom of speech. It's a kinda thing in the Constitution, something many people in America actually DO respect.
Didn’t you take a knee when you asked your wife to marry you?
Old 01-01-2024, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
The National Anthem offends the sensitive type and you know how our country is run based on minority sensitivity. If it offends, it must end.
Realy?
Old 01-01-2024, 05:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
And in one post you write about those who disrespect our flag and our country should be summarily done away with and in the next post you write about we should not tear down statues of those who disrespected our flag and country by starting a civil war. Which is it? You can't have it both ways.
You think the Confederacy started the civil war to disrespect America???? I think someone might need to brush up on their 3rd grade history.

That being said, I'm a "Yankee", I do not approve of what the Confederacy stood for, nor what they did. But unfortunately, it IS OUR HISTORY, and we should not try to erase it, unless you support mass book burnings. Oceania was pretty good at rewriting history.
Old 01-01-2024, 06:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonOfInterest View Post
I fail to see the significance of the national anthem or the pledge of allegiance especially at a sporting event. What purpose do you see for either of these? Why do you feel either one are needed?
Why not? Do you have to have a reason, a specific reason to enjoy the National Anthem? Do you have to have a specific reason to show patriotism? Maybe some on here are just not as proud of this country as some of us. Like someone once said (something like...) "For those that fight for it, Freedom (or Liberty, or Life) has flavor that the protected will never know." And I would add, "..or appreciate."
Is the question really, why is showing our appreciation or patriotism "needed?" If one does not know the answer, ...........
Old 01-01-2024, 06:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by forebubba View Post
Realy?
Yes
Old 01-01-2024, 08:03 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
You must be referring to games on TV. They rarely show the national anthems on TV because of the pre-game commentary...
All professional sporting events I've ever attended live play the national anthem, and I've never heard of a professional sporting event that didn't.

Have you????

Tags
national, anthems, rarely, events, sporting

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.