Rate Increase for Amazon Prime

Closed Thread
Old 04-29-2018, 06:10 PM
Veteran member
Default Rate Increase for Amazon Prime

Going up to $119 per year. Is it still worth it to you?

It's less than $2 a month more, but I still think I've had it. I can order elsewhere and many stores offer free shipping now. I rarely need anything in two days, don't watch many of the Prime videos, listen to their music, use cloud storage, etc. The rate increase coming on top of their record quarterly earnings report has put me off.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:13 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,478 Times in 549 Posts

I saw that, and it will still be worth it to me. It is nice to go “one-stop shopping”, and it’s a life saver for birthdays, holidays, etc. We will also watch Prime videos from time to time.

Based on what you said, it may not be worthwhile to you anymore.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:21 PM
Veteran member

I may just drop Netflix and pay the amazon increase. Two movie sources are a bit much anyways.

New Jersey,
New York
Germany,
California
Northern MN,
The Villages
Next stop?
Old 04-29-2018, 09:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,318 Times in 872 Posts

The increase is minimal for how we use Amazon...and they keep adding services we use. It has allowed me to reduce the plan I had with SirusXM, use itunes less and make holiday, birthday, anniversary shopping so easy. As with most services, I expect price increases......it doesn't sound like you use Amazon for much so it probably isn't for you.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 04-29-2018, 09:24 PM
Sage

I too am a huge user of Amazon Prime and do not mind the small increase . It has more utility to me on an annual basis than what I am being charged .

Sorry to disappoint the OP if they were seeking an outpouring of support for their position .

Now if we could just get rid of the printed Rec News and realize an annual savings of about $12 in our amenity fees that we would never see anyway . [ Not ! ] . I support receiving a USEFUL, detailed and complete printed weekly Rec News and yes .... I would pay for it .
Old 04-30-2018, 12:50 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by queasy27 View Post
Going up to $119 per year. Is it still worth it to you?

It's less than $2 a month more, but I still think I've had it. I can order elsewhere and many stores offer free shipping now. I rarely need anything in two days, don't watch many of the Prime videos, listen to their music, use cloud storage, etc. The rate increase coming on top of their record quarterly earnings report has put me off.
I can understand not buying something because one does not use it but not because they are making too much money. How much should Amazon make?
Old 04-30-2018, 02:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

I use prime at least twice a week, but I rarely shop brick and mortar. With free return, two day ship, movies, books, and most of my groceries. I save more than that in my time and gas to worry about $2
Old 04-30-2018, 05:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,743 Times in 5,255 Posts

I am so used to the free 2-day shipping, that when I order something from someone else, it seems to take forever to get here. I will just have to pay the increase.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:18 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I am so used to the free 2-day shipping, that when I order something from someone else, it seems to take forever to get here. I will just have to pay the increase.
Yup, I am totally addicted.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:51 AM
Sage

If you use amazon a lot, as I do, you can get prime discounted or free.

There is an app that monitors your deliveries and automatically requests a free month of prime with any late delivery.

Paribus is the app, you must give up some privacy.

There is a little additional trick, place your order at the last possible moment. On the last page before placing order, there is a section that says "order in the next xx hours xx minutes to get your by x day." Don't place your order until it gets closer to zero.

Of course if something is on sale. Don't wait.

Also order all your prime items seperately, amazon will still ship together, but you Have a chance of getting multiple free months.

Lastly, it's unproven, but I always include a gift note, I assume it might help delay the process.

It seems like work, but it becomes habit and keeps my prime cost down, especially since the last one left University, so no more prime student.

Of course the cheapest prime, is to be an add on to someone else's account, or know a student.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:22 AM

I find that Amazon pricing is competitive with most other sources that include free shipping. On Amazon Smile, Amazon will donate a percentage of the sale to the charity of your choice without charging you for the donation.
On a lighter note Amazon is building multimillion dollar distribution centers and creating thousands of jobs. Worth $2 more per month.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post
If you use amazon a lot, as I do, you can get prime discounted or free.

There is an app that monitors your deliveries and automatically requests a free month of prime with any late delivery.

Paribus is the app, you must give up some privacy.

There is a little additional trick, place your order at the last possible moment. On the last page before placing order, there is a section that says "order in the next xx hours xx minutes to get your by x day." Don't place your order until it gets closer to zero.

Of course if something is on sale. Don't wait.

Also order all your prime items seperately, amazon will still ship together, but you Have a chance of getting multiple free months.

Lastly, it's unproven, but I always include a gift note, I assume it might help delay the process.

It seems like work, but it becomes habit and keeps my prime cost down, especially since the last one left University, so no more prime student.

Of course the cheapest prime, is to be an add on to someone else's account, or know a student.
So I could add on to my sons account and add my debit card and cancel my account. Is that correct? Would I be privy to knowing everything he is buying? I would rather not know. I feel a little foolish I didn't do this sooner.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:40 AM
Veteran member

Do you know a friend or family can just add the 2 days free shipping to your account. You just don't get the digital services like movies, etc.

Amazon.com Help: Create a Household
Old 04-30-2018, 07:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerner52 View Post
Do you know a friend or family can just add the 2 days free shipping to your account. You just don't get the digital services like movies, etc.

Amazon.com Help: Create a Household
I don't need the digital services but if I get into a family account would everyone see what everyone else is buying? I don't know what my kids buy and I don't want to.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:25 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Although I use Amazon its labor practices trouble me. It depends on poor elderly workers whom it works half to death according to the research done by the author of this book.

Amazon is one of the largest employers of the workampers — and the most notorious. Incentivized by federal tax credits for employing elderly workers (25 to 40 percent of wages), the company aggressively recruits them, especially during the holiday season. Jeff Bezos has predicted that a quarter of all workampers will pass through his warehouses, working 10 hours or more a day, sorting packages.

It’s crippling work. The workampers’ RVs look like “mobile apothecaries,” Bruder writes. Amazon’s warehouses feature wall-mounted dispensers of free painkillers. America runs on ibuprofen; it’s the performance drug of the new economy.

Most infamously, on a sweltering day in 2011, managers at an Amazon warehouse in Pennsylvania refused to open the loading doors to cool down the building (they were worried about theft). Instead, Bruder reports, they arranged for paramedics to wait outside, on call, to wheel out workers who became too sick to work. All those sent home, it was later reported, were disciplined for it.

On the Road With the Casualties of the Great Recession - The New York Times

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Closed Thread

Tags
rate, increase, prime, videos, watch

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.