Rate Increase for Amazon Prime

Closed Thread
Old 04-30-2018, 09:33 AM
Sage

I don't need the digital services but if I get into a family account would everyone see what everyone else is buying? I don't know what my kids buy and I don't want to.

[i think this answers my question]

When you live with a family member who has Prime, it's easy to just ask for their login information and take advantage of those benefits without paying for an extra membership. The trade-off is the loss of privacy.

Everyone in my family uses my brother's account when we need to use Prime. It's convenient and keeps the cost of membership low, but it also means we can all see what everyone is looking at and buying. Furthermore, confirmation and shipping emails are sent to my brother and have to be forwarded to the appropriate recipient.

It turns out we've been overlooking a key feature that would help relieve these problems and help us regain control of our shopping: Amazon Household.

Amazon Household lets each adult keep his or her personal account while sharing Prime benefits at no additional cost. Here's how it works:

You'll need two adults (ages 18 and over) each with their own Amazon account. One must have a Prime membership.
Both adults must agree to share credit and debit cards associated with your Amazon accounts. Both accounts will retain their current payment methods, but you'll each be able to see and use each other's credit and debit cards.
You can set up content you would like to share within your Household. This includes current and future purchases. After setup, you will still be able to manage or change your shared content. Shareable content includes apps and games, audiobooks, and eBooks, so you can have a whole family library accessible to you if you'd like. Here's what that setup looks like:
amazon household sharingAmazon
Amazon Household helps keep your gift purchases a secret while sharing Prime benefits - Business Insider

Of course, you can't share the great Prime benefits with anyone if no one in the household has a membership in the first place. From speedy shipping and delivery policies to digital content access and exclusive member pricing, a Prime membership will be an indispensable tool for the whole family.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:52 AM
Sage

another question it says
"When you live with a family member who has Prime,"

I don't live with my son. Can we still have a household membership?
Old 04-30-2018, 10:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Played golf with a guy who works for amazon, didn’t say what part he worked in, but he had been with company long enough to be close to retirement. He owns a home in TV and comes down once a month to play golf. He had only good things to say about how he enjoyed his job, that he was only 55. Still considering working awhile longer.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:07 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
another question it says
"When you live with a family member who has Prime,"

I don't live with my son. Can we still have a household membership?
Good question. Would like to know the answer too. I share my account with a friend, but they can see all my embarrassing purchases, [emoji48][emoji83][emoji84][emoji88][emoji49][emoji879]
Old 04-30-2018, 11:13 AM
Default My view

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagerjack View Post
I can understand not buying something because one does not use it but not because they are making too much money. How much should Amazon make?
Some people just like to complain. You can bet if Amazon finds they loose XXXXX customers they will offer something.

aS TO HOW MUCH MONEY should aMAZON MAKE. They are a huge, profit motivated company-NOT A CHARITY. You could get even and become an EVIL HOLDER of Amazon stock. AMZN is one of the most widely held companies in the US and in the world. If, you own a stock fund, many ETFs have a pension etc-YOU ARE LIKELY ONE OF THE EVIL OWNERS OF AMAZON.

My view-I fear Amazon. They have been allowed to grow where perhaps the term TOO BIG TO FAIL APPLIES
Old 04-30-2018, 11:21 AM
Sage

I look at amazon as a money saver for me. No impulse buying, just buy what I need. My Mom was feeling a little down, so ordered her couple of surprises to cheer her up. Yep could have gone to Bealls, but found same thing on amazon and less money.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:38 AM
Gold member

I am one of the EVIL stockholders of Amazon, whatever that means. My EVIL shares have paid my Prime membership and much more. Conservativly 1 EVIL share could accomplish this. For now a great success story, not unlike the Morse family with The Villages. Ride the wave until it crests.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I have drastically cut back on order's from Amazon in the last six months. After years of flawless service, we have been shipped two different items in a row that were undoubtedly used, scratched and dented with no manual included and a pair of scuffed up, badly, Zumba shoes. This is the second year in succession that our yearly Prime fee was $$ Zero $$. I would rather pay and not wonder if my next order will be here on time and new.

I've also read that every shipment I get from Amazon hurt the U.S. Postal Service financially. I don't know if this is true or false but I don't want to be a participant if this turns out to be a FACT.

Another $20 a year is the Icing on the Cake. Adios Prime!
Old 04-30-2018, 12:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
I have drastically cut back on order's from Amazon in the last six months. After years of flawless service, we have been shipped two different items in a row that were undoubtedly used, scratched and dented with no manual included and a pair of scuffed up, badly, Zumba shoes. This is the second year in succession that our yearly Prime fee was $$ Zero $$. I would rather pay and not wonder if my next order will be here on time and new.

I've also read that every shipment I get from Amazon hurt the U.S. Postal Service financially. I don't know if this is true or false but I don't want to be a participant if this turns out to be a FACT.

I get about 30% of my prime deliveries from USPS, the rest is just to heavy or large for post office
Old 04-30-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post
If you use amazon a lot, as I do, you can get prime discounted or free.

There is an app that monitors your deliveries and automatically requests a free month of prime with any late delivery.

Paribus is the app, you must give up some privacy.

There is a little additional trick, place your order at the last possible moment. On the last page before placing order, there is a section that says "order in the next xx hours xx minutes to get your by x day." Don't place your order until it gets closer to zero.

Of course if something is on sale. Don't wait.

Also order all your prime items seperately, amazon will still ship together, but you Have a chance of getting multiple free months.

Lastly, it's unproven, but I always include a gift note, I assume it might help delay the process.

It seems like work, but it becomes habit and keeps my prime cost down, especially since the last one left University, so no more prime student.

Of course the cheapest prime, is to be an add on to someone else's account, or know a student.
We have used Parabus...we have gotten several items free because of late shipments. We have also gotten several months free for Prime. Totally worth the time to use Parabus.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post

Fact Check: Is The Post Office Losing Money By Delivering Packages For Amazon? : NPR

Per Michael Plunkett, who was a vice president at the Postal Service and now leads PostCom, an association of large mailers.

Quote:
...the Postal Service does not lose money delivering Amazon's or anyone else's packages.

The Postal Regulatory Commission does review the Postal Service's contracts, and they've concluded the opposite - that the Postal Service does make money from its shipping contracts.

Amazon probably looks very different from the rest of the Postal Service's shipping business because they have enough volume in their own network of distribution centers, so the vast majority of their packages are being entered locally, and they're very cost-efficient for the Postal Service to handle for the most part.

Facts matter!
Old 04-30-2018, 12:36 PM
Sage

To create an Amazon Household with another adult, you can either send an email invitation or sign in together to verify your accounts.

To send an email invitation to another adult:

Go to Amazon Household in Your Account and click Add an Adult.
Enter the name and email address of the adult you'd like to invite and click Continue.
If you want to share Prime benefits and create a Family Library, select the option to share your wallet.
Confirm the name and email address of the other adult and click Send Invite. They'll have 14 days to accept the invite. You can manage your invitation from Manage Your Household.

[it doesn't look like you need to live in the same house]

Paribus Just Launched New Delivery Monitoring Service and OMG

[if i am in a Household Account, how would a Paribus account work]
Old 04-30-2018, 12:40 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Fact Check: Is The Post Office Losing Money By Delivering Packages For Amazon? : NPR

Per Michael Plunkett, who was a vice president at the Postal Service and now leads PostCom, an association of large mailers.

Facts matter!
I once told my mail person I was sorry that they had to come out and deliver on Sunday and they replied that they were happy to do it since it added to their job security.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

I could not understand why my other half started amazon prime. Then after the hurricane I said there was zero water, bread and basics at the grocery, doorbell rang there was a box of every staple I needed. In anticipation, box was ordered two days earlier, with bread, water, sports drinks, and things I didn’t have to heat up if I lost power, by my quick thinking spouse.

The kids send down stuff they need so less to pack. I think the UPS and USPS is at my door couple times a week
Old 04-30-2018, 07:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Per Michael Plunkett, who was a vice president at the Postal Service....

Facts matter.
Closed Thread

Tags
rate, increase, prime, videos, watch

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.