Recommend please a moving company for long distance, small load

Old 04-17-2024, 07:21 AM

Are you also moving furniture? Are there breakable valuables? Make sure you get the 0 deductible replacement cost insurance. We got that and most of our non-boxed items like furniture got nicked up or broken. We filed a claim and received more money than we paid. We profited $1600 as they paid out over $8K in claims. You never know who the actual workers will be that move your stuff if you go the moving company route. Get multiple quotes. Use a reputable company. Make sure they are not brokers hiring out the labor. Our second move we used a Mayflower subsidiary called Sorensen and they were excellent. Good luck!
Old 04-17-2024, 07:31 AM

I looked into PODS and a similar concept when I did my move. I ended up renting a one-way moving van, drove it here from Michigan, flew back and drove my car down. It was a lot of travel but was still cheaper than PODS.
Old 04-17-2024, 07:36 AM
Default Just did it from OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMB444 View Post
Moving from upper Midwest to TV at the end of the summer.

I'll have everything boxed so just need it loaded, trucked, and unloaded. No packing.

Does anyone have a good company that you recommend?

Also any companies to avoid?

Thanks!
I rented a container POD from 1800PACKRAT and used movers to load it. Much cheaper than traditional move. Took about 3 hours for them to load it properly and it was under $3k total with delivery.
Old 04-17-2024, 07:47 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,561 Times in 598 Posts

Quote:

I'll have everything boxed so just need it loaded, trucked, and unloaded. No packing.

Thanks!
There is a company with a similar name. One is called Village Movers and one is Village Mover without the s.
make sure you contact the correct moving company. There is another company with a very similar name to Village Movers and they are a horror. They purposely keep the name similar to the legit company because when people check them out they think it’s the same company. Beware!! We used them to move to Ft Laud and they were fantastic. Again. Make sure you have the legit company. I don’t remember which is the legit one. Check out the Better Business Bureau page

Last edited by Girlcopper; 04-17-2024 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Adding content
Old 04-17-2024, 07:56 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,073 Times in 537 Posts

A word of advice, if you are bringing your dark upnorth furniture, you may regret it. Resale stores around here are full of upnorth furniture with movers' stickers on them. That furniture really doesn't go in Florida. You may end up wanting something different in the new house. Knowing what I know now, I would sell the family heirlooms, unless your kids want it, which is doubtful. I would bring the things I treasure, and a toothbrush. Your winter clothes will never be worn, maybe keep a coat for going back to visit. My point is, you are probably paying way more than you need to for move a lot of stuff that 6 mos after the move you will wish you didn't bring.... buy a new mattress when you get here too.
Old 04-17-2024, 07:59 AM

Suddath.
We moved from TV to Michigan. They were outstanding loading, unloading, padding items, communicating with us, and the time it took for travel. Can't praise them enough. We got four estimates and considered renting a u-haul. This company was well worth it.
Old 04-17-2024, 08:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,764 Times in 5,267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamingypsy View Post
A word of advice, if you are bringing your dark upnorth furniture, you may regret it. Resale stores around here are full of upnorth furniture with movers' stickers on them. That furniture really doesn't go in Florida. You may end up wanting something different in the new house. Knowing what I know now, I would sell the family heirlooms, unless your kids want it, which is doubtful. I would bring the things I treasure, and a toothbrush. Your winter clothes will never be worn, maybe keep a coat for going back to visit. My point is, you are probably paying way more than you need to for move a lot of stuff that 6 mos after the move you will wish you didn't bring.... buy a new mattress when you get here too.
I agree. I have never owned any furniture that was worth paying someone to move.
Old 04-17-2024, 08:10 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

Thanks!
Uship dot com worked well for us several years ago. Shipped a motorcycle, some furniture and household stuff too. There was one foul-up, a table saw was unloaded at the wrong location, but the driver retrieved it within a few weeks and brought it here. Label your boxes and items well, and make the labels obvious.
Old 04-17-2024, 08:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Look at Pods. You will probably have to load and unload.
Really expensive
Old 04-17-2024, 08:56 AM
Default Moving companies

Quote:

Thanks!

The "national brand" moving companies, while a bit more expensive, provide a much safer moving experience. Among other things, they background check every worker that is handling your possessions.

We use United Van Lines and their "vault" service to move from Denver to TV in 2020. The vaults are sized to fit, side by side, in moving trailers. The local rep loads them (we needed 2) and "seals" them. The vaults go into the local rep's warehouse and then shipped on a long haul carrier to Orlando. Nobody needs to handle or repack your belongings until they reach here. The Orlando rep brings the vaults out, unseals them and unloads your possessions, putting your stuff inside the house and/or stacked in the garage.

Smooth, safe and, gratefully, no breakage...
Lake Oswego, OR
Old 04-17-2024, 09:19 AM
Default Best reply

I agree 100% with the poster. We sold all dark furniture. Doesn’t work in Florida.
Old 04-17-2024, 10:09 AM

PODS is the way to go!
Old 04-17-2024, 10:18 AM

Use PODS cheaper then a moving company or renting a truck, you can use a company called Work Staff on both ends to load and unload. It cost me less than 9k to move here from NH. I had 2 PODS one large one small and brought down 4 rooms of furniture and a ton of misc. stuff that they store up to 30 days for free if you need them to. Also if you plan on buying new furniture it will cost you and most of it is particle board not sold wood.
Old 04-17-2024, 11:26 AM

Quote:

Thanks!

I used LaterGator Moving Co from Minnesota to TV. Very good, reasonable and reliable. Contact Clay Shanks 352-275-1769
Old 04-17-2024, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defrey12 View Post
If that’s way over your budget, a full service mover will be WAY, WAY over your budget. I used to be in the business. Things may have changed, but “pack and load” your own is usually way less expensive than a full-service mover.
I've actually gotten 2 quotes from reputable movers that are less than PODS and for a bigger load.

Thanks everyone for your reponses!

Tags
recommend, moving, company, loaded, trucked

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.