Reddit Question

Closed Thread
Old 10-26-2017, 11:11 AM
Veteran member
Default Reddit Question

Anybody use Reddit? I finally heaved a sigh and joined earlier this year after avoiding it forever. I post exclusively in a couple of lighthearted fan subs about comedy podcasts.

I've never been on a discussion board that allows downvoting and am sincerely baffled by it. What motivates people to go through and downvote every comment or topic? These are extremely innocuous posts, some of them quite witty. If Redditers don't like the podcasts in question, why would they read/participate in a sub about them?

I understand disagreeing with someone's point, but truly, most of the downvoted comments don't contain the slightest whiff of controversy or criticism.

Is there some culture on Reddit that I'm missing about what types of topics/comments are acceptable?

Last edited by Halibut; 10-26-2017 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:40 AM

I use Reddit quite a bit. One reason is trolls, who delight in doing the opposite of what is expected. Reddit is full of them. It is an extension of 4chan in that regard, kids who just want to see it all burn because they don't like playing by rules.

But mostly it is because Reddit computer algorithms generate a few random down and up votes to prevent posts from stagnating at zero, because the entire site is premised on popularity ranking. So it is not uncommon to see post and comment downvotes right away, especially if you don't have much post karma yet, because the algorithm gives you a break the more you've posted, and longer you've lurked.

It's a bit like Facebook's bubble algorithm, though, in that if you aren't already popular It's hard to become popular. This is to prevent stagnation at the top. Here the algorithms are harder on you the more yoy've posted and longer you've lurked. So people who want to be popular cheat a bit by reposting something they found on a different sub that was highly up voted. There are professionals at this who create accounts for the ourpose of selling the popularity to an advertiser, and I doubt that's what you are trying to do. Otherwise you just expect not to receive much post karma for months.

The first rule of Reddit is nobody takes Reddit seriously (except the advertisers).

Best way to use Reddit is just post and comment on what interests you and ignore imaginary internet points. It's a great place to find like minds and take the online chat elsewhere. Just remember Reddit keeps what you say forever, and it is archived on other websites, so you can never delete what you say there, even if you delete it on the Reddit site, even if you edit your comment to change it, previous edits are stored by them for law enforcement.

Edit: spelling

Last edited by Trlmx; 10-27-2017 at 06:58 AM.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trlmx View Post
Just remember Reddit keeps what you say forever, and it is archived on other websites, so you can never delete what you say there, even if you delete it on the Reddit site, even if you edit your comment to change it, previous edits are stored by them for law enforcement.
Thanks, that's very helpful. Interesting about archived posts.

I'm not on social media and always post anonymously on message boards, so it's not like I'm personally trying to make friends or develop some kind of online presence. But downvoting still seems unnecessarily vindictive to me. Liking a comment is a friendly gesture and would seem to serve the same purpose. I feel sorry for posters who get their well meaning comments slapped down.

But yes, trolls. As you say, I've noticed that graphic memes taken from the Internet usually get a lot of upvotes. To me, unoriginal posts like that are the lowest common denominator of humor, which is why I wondered if there is some Reddit culture or tradition that I'm missing.

I suppose at its core, I think liking/disliking is a ridiculous concept at best and damaging at worst.

Again, I appreciate your thoughtful reply.

Last edited by Halibut; 10-27-2017 at 07:19 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:11 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
.....one reason is trolls, who delight in doing the opposite of what is expected. Reddit is full of them. It is an extension of 4chan in that regard, kids who just want to see it all burn because they don't like playing by rules...
A particularly succinct, well written and informative post. A googleplex of upvotes!
Closed Thread

Tags
reddit, podcasts, question, read/participate, redditers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.