Refrigerators

Old 02-26-2024, 06:57 AM

Our Kenmore frig died a few years ago. At the time it was only 3 years old. We had several repairmen come out to replace the compressor, then the evaporator coils, then the distribution fan and the ice maker. I asked each repairmen what manufacturers to stay clear of if I bought a new frig. Each would tell me it was easier to identify the only manufacturers I should consider ---> Frigidare, Whirlpool, KitchenAid and General Electric. I was told that all the other manufacturers used LG parts that are poorly made. One repairman told me about 30% of his business was due to replacing LG compressors.
Old 02-26-2024, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
Any idea which brand is best? Don't even mention Samsung.
Had an LG a couple of years back. Within 4 years we had so many repairs, including 2 icemakers, front control screen, main circuit board, and two compressors.
Lowes 5 year warranty was a $$$ savior. They refunded the full cost
Old 02-26-2024, 08:09 AM

LG 27-29 inch - best there us IMO
Old 02-26-2024, 08:09 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,066 Times in 534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Never ever get a sub-zero, worst maintenance ever!
That's sad, I've had two of them and they were both great. I guess that don't make them like they used to.
Old 02-26-2024, 08:26 AM
Default Refrigerator

We bought a LG and at 6 months we had to have it repaired. Fan went bad. I asked service guy which band he thought was best. Said all about the same. Often parts are manufactured by same company. He liked LG because they are very quite. All have a lot more electronics so an extended warranty might be good. We usually don't take an extended warranty.
Old 02-26-2024, 08:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge View Post
We bought a LG and at 6 months we had to have it repaired. Fan went bad. I asked service guy which band he thought was best. Said all about the same. Often parts are manufactured by same company. He liked LG because they are very quite. All have a lot more electronics so an extended warranty might be good. We usually don't take an extended warranty.
I would never buy an extended warranty for any product. You will almost always lose money.
Old 02-26-2024, 08:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I would never buy an extended warranty for any product. You will almost always lose money.
I don't disagree and I normally don't take extended warranties either, but I think about it differently.

Things I have lost money on yet keep paying:
- Car insurance - over 40 years
- Health insurance - over 35 years though I may be getting some of that back now
- Home insurance - over 30 years
- AAA membership - a few years now
- golf cart towing/rescue - a few years now

I pay all those because however unlikely it may be that I have a problem, I would rather pay the premium today than pay the cost out of pocket later. I wouldn't pay for an extended warranty on my wireless router, if I have a problem I'll just replace it with a different brand. I *might* pay for the warranty on a $2,000 refrigerator to avoid paying again to replace it in the next few years.

You almost always lose money on extended warranties but when you don't lose money, when there is a problem, you're really glad you have one.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 02-26-2024, 08:57 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Yes, like LG. Don’t care for Samsung, I think they’re over rated, expensive & never held up for me. Just my opinion!
Old 02-26-2024, 09:15 AM
Veteran member

We’ve always had good luck with the brands consumer reports find as being reliable.
Old 02-26-2024, 09:16 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
Yes, like LG. Don’t care for Samsung, I think they’re over rated, expensive & never held up for me. Just my opinion!
Samsung TVs have gone downhill as well.
Old 02-26-2024, 09:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
Any idea which brand is best? Don't even mention Samsung.
I have never had a GE, Hotpoint, or Frigidaire that did not last at least 20 years.
Old 02-26-2024, 09:20 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
LG compressors were the subject of a class lawsuit a few years ago. Had one fail in less than 3 years, and cost to "fix" was not worth it. Bought another brand. But no matter what brand, don't expect today's refrigerators to last like the ones you grew up with. They won't make it to your garage as a secondary unit. The more techno gizmos and gadgets added, the more problems that can happen. Keep it simple, and you might even get more than 5 years out of your purchase.
Old 02-26-2024, 09:21 AM

I bought the top of line GE profile French door PFE28KMKUES. We had a faulty electrical harness which they replaced twice. The water filter for the waterline cost around $55 and they want you to replace it every three months and you can only use GE brand as they have a microchip on it. We have had trouble with these filters as half of them spew out excessive amounts of charcoal into the water. We've had 9 service visits and the problem still exists. So we use the bypass and cannot have filtered water unless we want a ton of charcoal in it. GE service is terrible and eventually my salesman went around them and delivered a new fridge. Most of the filters are still bad though. We had a GE fridge years ago and that completely failed on us. It was part of a class action suit that we got a few dollars back. So no more GE refrigerators for us.
The unit we stayed in for design had a whirlpool fridge that was amazing but I don't know how they hold up.
I hate stainless steel so the slate finish GE offered was what I chose. I love the finish but hate the stainless steel handles.
If you get stainless steel, make sure it resists fingerprints. Good luck.
Old 02-26-2024, 09:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
I don't disagree and I normally don't take extended warranties either, but I think about it differently.

Things I have lost money on yet keep paying:
- Car insurance - over 40 years
- Health insurance - over 35 years though I may be getting some of that back now
- Home insurance - over 30 years
- AAA membership - a few years now
- golf cart towing/rescue - a few years now

I pay all those because however unlikely it may be that I have a problem, I would rather pay the premium today than pay the cost out of pocket later. I wouldn't pay for an extended warranty on my wireless router, if I have a problem I'll just replace it with a different brand. I *might* pay for the warranty on a $2,000 refrigerator to avoid paying again to replace it in the next few years.

You almost always lose money on extended warranties but when you don't lose money, when there is a problem, you're really glad you have one.
I have all of those things except the golf cart, since I don't have a golf cart. But, I have them mostly for the liability coverage, where I have a large amount of coverage. But, if they raise my homeowner's insurance too much, they may lose me as a customer. I believe in self-insuring whenever possible. According to Clark Howard, companies that sell extended warranties only spend 8 percent of the premiums collected to pay claims.
Old 02-26-2024, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanStCatherine View Post
The water filter for the waterline cost around $55 and they want you to replace it every three months and you can only use GE brand as they have a microchip on it.
You could cheat a little. I understand you can carefully peel the lable off one of their filters and stick it to the interior just behind where the filter hangs, this tricks the sensor into thinking there is a genuine GE filter installed. Then you can use a generic filter for much less money and better quality.

Tags
refrigerators, idea, brand, mention, samsung

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.