Refrigerators

Old 02-29-2024, 08:44 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
We have had good luck with Whirlpool in two houses now. One came with the last house and was still there when we sold it 20 years later, the other came with this house and is still running six years later.

I replaced a timer and a fan in the first and a freezer-refrig vent door in this one. All three were easy do-it-yourself repairs.
Well our side by side Whirlpool is about 6 yrs. old now, has started to FREEZE everything in the refrigerator, the eggs, milk, lettuce, etc. etc. Now have set it down all the way to "1" (zero won't work as that shuts it off so have to leave it at least on "1"). Any ideas what's going on ????
Old 02-29-2024, 08:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Well our side by side Whirlpool is about 6 yrs. old now, has started to FREEZE everything in the refrigerator, the eggs, milk, lettuce, etc. etc. Now have set it down all the way to "1" (zero won't work as that shuts it off so have to leave it at least on "1"). Any ideas what's going on ????
I don't know, but it sounds like something that can be fixed because, obviously, the compressor is working.

Call Beck's at 352-245-3598.
Old 03-01-2024, 10:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
If it was mine first thing I would do would be defrost by unplugging while was heating up frost melting pull it out and clean coils and fan. After the defrost plug it in monitor with infrared thermometer. If that didn’t work I would utube the problem see if their simple fix? It that don’t work call repairman.

Here’s one several on Utube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgfqB6pf6vI

It maybe as simple as that?

Some will as why defrost? Cause it could be ice build in blocking vents or doors. Besides defrosting and cleaning so won’t be embarrassing when repairman pulls it out and says should be cleaned every 6 months….

Last edited by Topspinmo; 03-01-2024 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-01-2024, 12:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Sounds like the same problem we had, just the opposite condition.

In ours, inside the refrigerator compartment on the top left side is a box with a filter and some vents. There is a little motor in there that opens and closes a vent to the freezer section. Ours froze closed which blocked cold air from coming to the refrigerator side and caused it to warm up. It sounds like yours is frozen open so that it never stops the cold air from coming into the refrigerator side regardless of how you set the thermostat.

First thing I would try is removing the box/motor/vent and allowing it to defrost. If nothing else is broken then this might solve the problem. Block the hole to the freezer while you are doing this and the refrigerator side should warm up. I actually replaced mine and I can probably find the invoice and send you information if you need to do that too.

Look for a YouTube on how to remove the box but it was pretty simple.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough

Tags
refrigerators, idea, brand, mention, samsung

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.