Refuse to wear a mask

Closed Thread
Old 07-19-2020, 02:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,169 Times in 1,930 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldivens View Post
It is wear a mask OR physical distancing NOT both. People who are wearing a mask must not have confidence in the mask if they are afraid of people who not wearing one. If you are afraid then you move away, you can only change your behavior not everyone around you
We have been told to wear masks AND physical distance. We must do BOTH. That is what I have heard and read time and time again by our experts.
Old 07-19-2020, 02:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,181 Times in 835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edcarney View Post
Because it has been a proven fact that wearing a mask does little or no good unless they are properly rated, fitted and worn properly. I have seen very few (if any) who have fitted mask with that are worn and rated properly. If you are going to do something do it properly or don’t do it at all.
I do love a good declarative statement. I like to see some link or reference for your "proven fact" because you are wrong in assuming that studies relating to the risk of spreading an infection are the same as studies on the risk of acquiring an infection.

N95 masks are meant to protect a well person from an aerosolized or droplet infection begin spread to them from a contagious person. They are required to stop 95% of the infectious particles. You are completely misunderstanding the different purpose for masks being worn now by everyone in public spaces.
Old 07-19-2020, 03:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,181 Times in 835 Posts

The American Disability Act does not give anyone permission to not wear facial barriers. It does not matter if you have some anxiety disorder that makes you feel if you wear a mask you will suffocate. The ADA requires reasonable accommodations. It does not require that the needs of society completely bend to someone's disability. So if you can't wear a mask then you must wear a face scarf or a face shield or a motorcycle helmet with the shield down. You have no right under the ADA to present a risk to the general public.

If you have the disability of alcoholism, that does not give you permission to drive.

There have also been posts stating that no one can ask a person about a disability. That is also not true. Businesses have specific language they are required to use. The general public is under no such restraint and any person can ask you anything. This may certainly be rude but it is not an ADA issue.
Old 07-19-2020, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaligirl View Post
I'm not a fan of the mask however I wear one in public out of respect! It's not because I think they are not effective, some reports state they are, some say not. They make me hot and it feels like I'm suffocating BUT I wear it in public places! Helps getting the grocery shopping finished faster! 😂
The mask doesn’t protect you, it protects others. Go on YouTube and search on masks and the spread of COVID. An infected person who sneezes can send out virus particles more than 20 feet with no mask. With a mask, the spray is less than 18 inches. That is why masks and social distancing works.
Old 07-20-2020, 06:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,784 Times in 1,246 Posts

Maybe approach mask wearing from the perspective that they make you look younger and thinner
Old 07-20-2020, 07:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,523 Times in 3,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
Maybe approach mask wearing from the perspective that they make you look younger and thinner
It also means that you can ditch the foundation, blush, contour cream, and lipstick because no one's going to see that part of your face anyway.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ Metzelaar View Post
It's the leas you can do to protectfellow Amdricans.!!
Oh really? Why should I be mandated to protect my "fellow Americans?" Did all of them serve their country, that were able? Do all of them carry a concealed weapon to protect their "fellow American?" Do they all contribute to charity? Sorry, if I do not take very well to those that attempt to shame folks into conforming to their standards.

I wear a mask, but not for you or any other "fellow American" other than my spouse. I do not even feel that it helps much, but wear one hoping that I might not come home from shopping and pass on a deadly virus. Is it deadly to me? Probably not. I have a pretty good immune system. Even if not, why should you care?

I am not wearing my mask just to appease my "fellow American" because I know that if you are going to get it, you will. No mask will probably save anyone that is actually exposed to someone infected. I know there are many folks that wear masks that have been infected. I know many folks that do not wear masks that have not been infected. The mask may help but more than likely, it is just as effective as carrying a four leaf clover or wearing garlic around you neck. If you want insurance, then you might want to shore up your relationship with GOD.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:51 AM
Sage

I have read where many posters use medical personnel as examples of why to wear a mask during a pandemic. Apparently, some of those posters do not realize that those little cloth masks are NOT being used by medical personnel when dealing with pandemics. They quarantine areas of hospitals and enter only with full bio hazard suits. Did you see anyone being treated for Ebola by medical personnel wearing only a face mask? And yet, you all feel that a mask is going to save you? You shame others for not wearing one? Why are you not wearing gloves, long sleeved shirts, long pants, eye and head protection? Surly you are not naive enough to think that a simple homemade cloth face mask is going to save you if you are exposed? This is not a simple cold.

I apologize. I am not trying to discourage anyone. Wear your placebo just like I do when I go out to shop. If it keeps your spirits up, then the mask is working in one manner, at least.
Old 07-20-2020, 12:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
I have read where many posters use medical personnel as examples of why to wear a mask during a pandemic. Apparently, some of those posters do not realize that those little cloth masks are NOT being used by medical personnel when dealing with pandemics. They quarantine areas of hospitals and enter only with full bio hazard suits. Did you see anyone being treated for Ebola by medical personnel wearing only a face mask? And yet, you all feel that a mask is going to save you? You shame others for not wearing one? Why are you not wearing gloves, long sleeved shirts, long pants, eye and head protection? Surly you are not naive enough to think that a simple homemade cloth face mask is going to save you if you are exposed? This is not a simple cold.

I apologize. I am not trying to discourage anyone. Wear your placebo just like I do when I go out to shop. If it keeps your spirits up, then the mask is working in one manner, at least.
Over the many years on here, I have fired off a post and then re read it and deleted it or made some serious changes.

Did you actually read what you posted here ? Do you actually feel that intellectually endowed to know better than those who have dealt with similar situations for many years, and have a medical view point on a medical problem ?

I have read others that sound off the same philosophy, but they are radical extremist very much into "p"; I can only assume that is your basis, and I sincerely hope that not one person takes your advice
Old 07-20-2020, 03:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Over the many years on here, I have fired off a post and then re read it and deleted it or made some serious changes.

Did you actually read what you posted here ? Do you actually feel that intellectually endowed to know better than those who have dealt with similar situations for many years, and have a medical view point on a medical problem ?

I have read others that sound off the same philosophy, but they are radical extremist very much into "p"; I can only assume that is your basis, and I sincerely hope that not one person takes your advice
OK, point taken. You do know that in my posts, I have NEVER suggested or advised anyone NOT to wear a mask, right? I have also stated that I wear a mask when shopping. My point was to stress that many on here are over exaggerating the performance of these inadequate masks and that they do nothing more than perform a placebo effect. And that is good, because many on here seem like they live only through gloom and doom.

There are a lot of "experts" on here and it seems that there is only one or two that support FACTUAL statements with real facts to back them up. Other than that, all I hear is hearsay and opinions. I have expressed my opinion.

Villages portion of Sumter Co = Approx 52,000 residents
Deaths attributed to COVID19 in same area = 8 (maybe 9)

Someone want to do the math for the percentage of deaths to residents? I believe it is well less than 1%.

Until the ratio percentage moves up (and it is hardly budging) I am not going to panic and run around screaming "the sky is falling."

Be positive, be happy, live longer. It won't be the virus that gets you. It will be a stress related fatality.

Just in case someone misconstrues my comment again, Please wear a mask so that other folks don't panic when they see you. And wash your hands and keep them away from your face, like your momma told you.
Old 07-20-2020, 04:01 PM

Asymptomatic infected people do shed the virus. They can infect someone who may become ill or die. There’s no excuse for not wearing a mask if you’re not advised by a physician that doing so is harmful. The “mixed” messages ended months ago when concern for the availability for front line health workers was a concern. Perhaps everyone will finally get the message that masks are necessary since a prominent person finally tweeted out a picture of wearing one and encouraged everyone else to do so.
Old 07-20-2020, 04:22 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Apparently, some of those posters do not realize that those little cloth masks are NOT being used by medical personnel when dealing with pandemics. They quarantine areas of hospitals and enter only with full bio hazard suits. Did you see anyone being treated for Ebola by medical personnel wearing only a face mask?
You mean like this?
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	image_61716.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	85352  
Old 07-20-2020, 06:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
OK, point taken. You do know that in my posts, I have NEVER suggested or advised anyone NOT to wear a mask, right? I have also stated that I wear a mask when shopping. My point was to stress that many on here are over exaggerating the performance of these inadequate masks and that they do nothing more than perform a placebo effect. And that is good, because many on here seem like they live only through gloom and doom.

There are a lot of "experts" on here and it seems that there is only one or two that support FACTUAL statements with real facts to back them up. Other than that, all I hear is hearsay and opinions. I have expressed my opinion.

Villages portion of Sumter Co = Approx 52,000 residents
Deaths attributed to COVID19 in same area = 8 (maybe 9)

Someone want to do the math for the percentage of deaths to residents? I believe it is well less than 1%.

Until the ratio percentage moves up (and it is hardly budging) I am not going to panic and run around screaming "the sky is falling."

Be positive, be happy, live longer. It won't be the virus that gets you. It will be a stress related fatality.

Just in case someone misconstrues my comment again, Please wear a mask so that other folks don't panic when they see you. And wash your hands and keep them away from your face, like your momma told you.
Yep, lots of experts on here. It is incredible that we waste our government money actually paying people (so called experts), when all we need is to give out the address for this site. Problem solved, all of America would be informed.

I grew up during a time when we had one voice speaking during a crisis. Since we lack that, I personally, have decided to listen to the experts who have made quite an outstanding career in this specific area (like needing legal advice and going to a lawyer) and listen to them.

I was “short” with you because talking down as I thought you did, or making fun of those who listen to advice from our experts is not acceptable to me.

I know nothing about this....I have been more confused than most with all the campaigns to malign one while embracing P’s advice. That just makes no sense to me, but perhaps I am just old fashioned.

I apologize for being curt, and I really hurt for the the fact that our country does not have one voice (yes I understand alternate opinions). Meantime, as I read about demonstrations against wearing masks, I will continue to wear that mask, and will offer no advice to anyone on medical matters.
Old 07-20-2020, 08:29 PM
Sage

Imagine being a medical professional treating a patient in an ER who refuses to wear a mask and swears at you? This happened a few days ago to my oldest niece who is a Physician Assistant at a hospital near Durham, NC. She told Mr. I Ain't Wearing An Expletive Deleted Mask that she would return to treat him only if he put on a mask. My niece returned to the treatment room several minutes later to check on Prince Charming who did finally put on a mask. That young woman has the patience of a saint. God bless the medical professionals treating the COVID-19 patients all over the U.S. and the world. Wear a mask for them so we can put this hellish year behind us. Rant over.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,784 Times in 1,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
Imagine being a medical professional treating a patient in an ER who refuses to wear a mask and swears at you? This happened a few days ago to my oldest niece who is a Physician Assistant at a hospital near Durham, NC. She told Mr. I Ain't Wearing An Expletive Deleted Mask that she would return to treat him only if he put on a mask. My niece returned to the treatment room several minutes later to check on Prince Charming who did finally put on a mask. That young woman has the patience of a saint. God bless the medical professionals treating the COVID-19 patients all over the U.S. and the world. Wear a mask for them so we can put this hellish year behind us. Rant over.
Another example of disrespect towards our medical professionals.

I can't at this point fathom the level of obtuse thinking it takes to refuse wearing a mask. Overloading the medical system is killing more than just COVID patients.

Perhaps people not wearing masks should sign a document stating they will not seek medical care if they get sick.
Closed Thread

Tags
mask, refuse, wear, wearing, criticizing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.