Refuse to wear a mask

Closed Thread
Old 07-16-2020, 08:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,542 Times in 3,117 Posts

It'll be interesting to see how many people will lie about "medical reasons" to all the stores that have recently implemented a REQUIREMENT that all customers wear masks in their stores. Medical reasons and "very young children" are the only exceptions to the rule, and as far as I know, there doesn't exist any way for a store to tell if a person is telling the truth or not when they say "I don't have to wear a mask, my doctor says so."
Old 07-16-2020, 08:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,184 Times in 1,936 Posts

Anyone who claims they have a medical reason for not wearing a mask, can just stay home. OR.........To gain entry, a person should have to produce a letter from a physician on the physician's letter head that they have a medical condition and are not able to wear a mask.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:49 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,212 Times in 351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Some seniors never grew, emotionally, beyond the early teens. They're sure that they're invincible and nothing can or will ever happen to them or their loved ones. They live outside of reality. Until it bites them in the behind. And then, they'll wonder "WHY?" WHY me? Why my mom? Why my son? WHY such nice neighbors?

Because they reject reality and see only the scope of their own ignorance.

To those who are offended by this: look in a mirror. You're probably one of the people I'm talking about.
FIrst of all, let me say that I wear a mask every time I go to the grocery store or whenever I go into any store (although I rarely go into any store other than a grocery store).

Whenever I'm out, I see that most seniors comply with the mask rule. I think many seniors are cautious because they know they are in a higher risk group.

My experience has been that younger people are the ones that don't wear a mask when they go into a grocery store or other buildings.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Anyone who claims they have a medical reason for not wearing a mask, can just stay home. OR.........To gain entry, a person should have to produce a letter from a physician on the physician's letter head that they have a medical condition and are not able to wear a mask.
You know this is the age of the internet - and word processing is pretty easy to do. And people have Photoshop or similar programs. And that not all people who shop at these stores are unskilled seniors who don't know how easy it is to make up a fake letterhead of a non-existent doctor and scrawl some ink on the bottom as a pretend signature. They could even make a fake "medical exception card" and laminate it with clear packing tape, so they can re-use it without having to reprint it.

You can make a fake letter in 5-10 minutes, depending on how fast you type.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
FIrst of all, let me say that I wear a mask every time I go to the grocery store or whenever I go into any store (although I rarely go into any store other than a grocery store).

Whenever I'm out, I see that most seniors comply with the mask rule. I think many seniors are cautious because they know they are in a higher risk group.

My experience has been that younger people are the ones that don't wear a mask when they go into a grocery store or other buildings.
My experience, as someone who actually works in one of those grocery stores, is that it's a mixed bag. There are seniors who refuse to wear them, and non-senior grownup adults who refuse to wear them. There are some who don't actually refuse, they just don't give it a second thought. And there are some who intended to wear them but forgot to bring them with them, and those folks usually apologize for it, or go back to their cars and retrieve them out of the glove compartment (or the rear view mirror, where it was hanging).

The ones who make sure we all know they're refusing to wear them - are mostly seniors. The ones who seem to be oblivious are mostly the grown up adults. Strangely enough, the young adults - the teenagers and young 20-somethings - tend to be more vigilant than any other demographic. They are almost always covering their mouths and noses with a mask in the stores.
Old 07-16-2020, 09:05 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

enough said.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	107376207_3396577173720810_6713341229409417148_o.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	85290  
Old 07-16-2020, 09:09 PM

I may be sorry I put my 2 cents in here. I wore a mask for 38 years, it does not make me a “mask expert” but I do know just a little about them. To be the most effective you need a proper fit, around the nose and sides, sometimes tape is needed for a proper seal around the nose. It seems common knowledge masks do not protect the wearer because the virus is so much smaller than the fiber in a medical grade mask, but maybe not the N95 mask. Many say wear the mask to protect others. It is also common knowledge that to spread the virus you generally need have to have symptoms, coughing, congestion, fever and such. In todays world if you have symptoms you just need to stay home. However if you do have symptoms and cough the mask will catch the moisture and maybe stop some of the virus attached to the moisture, a good thing. But how much of the virus is just coughed out thru the mask fibers or an improper fit that is not attached to moisture? But yes it should stop some of the spread. However when I see people wearing masks in the store they are fiddling with them, so now the virus is on your hands. Next issue is when you get back in your car and take the mask off and place it in the console you have contaminated your hands again and the inside of your car. What if you just drove with the mask on and went home, as soon as you walk in the house off comes the mask and you generally put it on the counter. Again you contaminated your hands and your counter top. So yes, masks will stop some of the spread if you have symptoms and are around people but any good from the mask is un-done or even reversed in my opinion by not properly sealing the mask, fiddling with the mask, removing the mask and likely contaminating your hands and the inside of your car or home counter top. Many will reuse the contaminated mask. Just my thoughts, if you have symptoms stay home, wash you hands and keep them away from your face as we were advise early on. I do not wear a mask, unless the store requires one, I slip on a new mask as I enter making sure I have as good as seal as possible, it’s not that difficult. I try not to fiddle with it and remove it in such a way as not to contaminate my hands best I can, and throw the mask away. I have a small spray alcohol bottle in the car and spray my hand. If I had symptoms and had to use a mask I would do the same thing but dispose of the mask in a sealed plastic sandwich bag.
Old 07-16-2020, 09:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
My experience, as someone who actually works in one of those grocery stores, is that it's a mixed bag. There are seniors who refuse to wear them, and non-senior grownup adults who refuse to wear them. There are some who don't actually refuse, they just don't give it a second thought. And there are some who intended to wear them but forgot to bring them with them, and those folks usually apologize for it, or go back to their cars and retrieve them out of the glove compartment (or the rear view mirror, where it was hanging).

The ones who make sure we all know they're refusing to wear them - are mostly seniors. The ones who seem to be oblivious are mostly the grown up adults. Strangely enough, the young adults - the teenagers and young 20-somethings - tend to be more vigilant than any other demographic. They are almost always covering their mouths and noses with a mask in the stores.

I agree with you except for the part in red. It is mainly those "young adults" people who have caused this horrible resurgence at the bars, "covid parties" and beaches. FL was doing relatively OK until someone opened everything up starting around Memorial Day and let the kiddies run amok.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 07-16-2020, 09:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
I agree with you except for the part in red. It is mainly those "young adults" people who have caused this horrible resurgence at the bars, "covid parties" and beaches. FL was doing relatively OK until someone opened everything up starting around Memorial Day and let the kiddies run amok.
Except bars, covid parties, and beaches aren't "people in grocery stores."

I was responding to the post that said they saw mostly younger people refusing to wear masks in grocery stores. I am saying - as someone who works in one, my observation shows the exact opposite. It's why I said "strangely enough." Because you'd think all those young kids who refuse to wear them everywhere else, would also refuse to wear them in grocery stores. My take-away on that is - the ones who refuse to wear them everywhere else - are NOT the ones who go to grocery stores. THOSE "kids" at the grocery stores seem to be of a higher class of our species.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I also heard that information on the news yesterday. Why isn't this information enough for our leaders to mandate mask wearing when INDOORS and distancing from others is not guaranteed? That should be a no brainer, especially when it comes to our public health.
because the science does not prove anything about wearing cotton rags on your face -- and I will not wear one -- and that is that -- shop will be on-line
Old 07-16-2020, 11:15 PM

Yes. We all aren't fortunate enough to have beaten this disease.

Last edited by Yung Dum; 07-16-2020 at 11:17 PM. Reason: not complete as to what i want to say
Old 07-16-2020, 11:23 PM

Wearing a mask does not make you a wimp, a liberal, or a frightened paranoid germaphobe. It does, however, show that you care about the health of your fellow human beings. If everyone wore a mask at all times in public, we could open up everything and go back to business as usual, though to a slightly lesser extent (such as wearing masks). But if millions of people refuse to wear them whatever reason, whether it’s political, personal comfort, or vanity this thing will never get better. If you feel a mask has a detrimental effect on your own health, don’t go out. If it’s uncomfortable, wear a face shield. But don’t put others at risk for your own sake. A mask is not to prevent you from catching the virus, but to prevent you from spreading it. Even if you tested negative yesterday, you could be positive today. A test does not make you immune. Instead of working together as a nation, we have chosen to make this a largely political issue, making it worse for all of us. Our elected officials (both parties) have all done their best to stoke the flames of division on this. Do you really believe the entire world cares so much about our elections that they are willing to go along with this so-called hoax? Come on people. Wake up to reality. We’re all Americans who love our country. Why can’t we work together on at least this one issue? At least can’t we give a try? That would make America great again.
Old 07-17-2020, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
I hate masks.
Given the chance I will not wear one.
But how hard is it to slip one on when entering an area when in close proximity to others, and tale it off when not.
Will it stop me catching the virus. No.
Will it reduce the % chances of me passing it on, or catching it? Yes.
It's a no brainer in my book!!
I think this is by far the best way to summarize where we are at and where we need to be as a nation. WW II we were mobilized as a country. Time for us now to do the same. We can do it. We just have to work together.
Old 07-17-2020, 05:06 AM

It is so amazing that the very people that could barely pass science in school know so much about science now. WEAR THE DAMN MASK and just shut up.
Old 07-17-2020, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarinet View Post
Whenever I am in a building or even outdoors in a busy place and see someone who does not wear a mask I believe they are saying "I really don't care about the rest of you". We wear masks to protect others, not ourselves. Let's have a little consideration. The latest discussion on yesterday's news said we could curb this virus in 8 weeks if everyone wore a mask. Why is that not enough to encourage their universal use?
If you believe that if everyone wares a mask, it will curb the virus in 8 weeks, I have a bridge to sell you in New York City
Closed Thread

Tags
mask, refuse, wear, wearing, criticizing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.