Retirement Question

Closed Thread
Old 11-03-2011, 03:36 PM
Sage
Default Retirement Question

I was wondering what is your most time consuming passion that retirement allows you to do. "Nothing" and "work" are not options for this question.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 11-03-2011, 03:40 PM
Veteran member

for me, it is to exercise more. After years of working a desk job, I am loving getting up in the morning and taking an early morning walk, then later in the day heading to the sports pool for some laps. I plan on adding biking to the regimen as I sllllllooooooowwwwlly work my way back into some semblance of shape. Add to that more time for reading and I am loving it!
Old 11-03-2011, 03:44 PM
Platinum member

Aside from doing "nothing," retirement allows me to travel when and where I want, only worrying (a little) about the economics of doing so! Yes, I always want to be sure that The Cat is properly seen to, but I have several neighbors who are happy to undertake that chore for free!

SWR
Old 11-03-2011, 05:26 PM
Default Retirement

I've always wanted to win the lottery so I could play in the stock market. After retiring, I've done exactly that with my IRA money. I've had a great time learning and, on the whole, making some money in the past 3 years. The market may not be as good for the future, so I'll have to spend more time golfing, dancing and having a good time outside and leave my money more in cash!!
Old 11-03-2011, 05:34 PM

Retirement allows me to take the time to meet more interesting people and make new friends. I can play as much golf as I like, get back into photography and other hobbies that have been limited, walking, reading more, going to the pool, travel more (if that's possible LOL) Have the freedom to do what I want when I want. We have been retired for 3 years now and have no idea how we ever found time to work. Life is Good!
Old 11-03-2011, 06:11 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Easy answer for me is golf. I used to play, at most 20-25 times a year, and for years about 5-6 times. The first year I retired 2009, I played over 140 rounds. I have scaled back to about 80 each of the last two years, but still much more than before. I also do a lot of yard work, but I did much of that before I retired, at the expense of golfing time.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:23 PM
Default retirement?

Well,,,,did anybody worry about not keeping busy? I Do!! I have lots of hobbies but am worried about not having any reason to get up !!! Sounds strange but after working for same company for 42 years..HMMMM,,scary...
Financially we will be ok,,,but Not used to doing nothing!!! We shall see,,,we are getting close..1 year for me and 1 1/2 for my lovely bride of 39 years
Old 11-03-2011, 06:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by er9027 View Post
Well,,,,did anybody worry about not keeping busy? I Do!! I have lots of hobbies but am worried about not having any reason to get up !!! Sounds strange but after working for same company for 42 years..HMMMM,,scary...
Financially we will be ok,,,but Not used to doing nothing!!! We shall see,,,we are getting close..1 year for me and 1 1/2 for my lovely bride of 39 years
Doing nothing is not an option. I have continued to get up between 5:30 and 6:00 every morning including weekends. I get dressed (never lounge around in pjs or robe) check the paper, get breakfast, then start working outside, in the house, or going to the golf course. The great draw of TV is the magnitude of the activities available which, when I am there, keep me busy almost constantly from morning to night - which is the way I like it.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:06 PM

I am not retired yet and am the type of person that cannot sit still and not do anything. I prefer to keep busy. I do worry about too much time because I am not a joiner. I do not like organized activities or clubs. I do not golf. I am a late night person who thinks waking up at 10am is an early day. I do not know why I moved here. . I do enjoy the quiet, relative safety, good natured people, good friends and convenience of having everything I need close by.

My current job allows be to be flexible with my hours and I do not work every day so I do have time to indulge all my hobbies and interests. I have no idea of what I will do with even more free time. I like intellectual pursuits so I guess I will learn more things. I enjoy learning.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:11 PM
Gold member

Truly, it's hard to fit in everything I would like to do - either trying something new or doing the things I know I enjoy. Make sure you bring a calendar with a lot of room for writing down activities.

I have more time to knit, quilt, read, golf, garden, try pickleball, water volleyball, yoga, and biking on Sundays (no time during the week).

Ohioboy has more time for music performance groups, road biking, and water volleyball.

But don't dismiss the pleasures of lingering over coffee and the newspaper on the lanai many mornings (we actually have to be sure to leave 2-3 mornings open to enjoy this). It is so nice not to have to watch the clock and jump into the car for a chilly morning commute thru rain, snow, etc. Or not spending a nice weather day in a high-paced office job, or whatever it is you might have done in your previous life.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:12 PM
Smile ty

Thanks for being honest...I knew I would hit a nerve when I said doing "nothing"..But YOU realize what I am talking about. Sense of accomplishment is going to be a problem. Even now when I hear people chatting about there phone service being bad...It Pi### me off cause it is normally easy to fix...IF YOU GET TO THE RIGHT PERSON. This is message will make many roll their eyes I'm sure !!!! I luv to listen though.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by er9027 View Post
Thanks for being honest...I knew I would hit a nerve when I said doing "nothing"..But YOU realize what I am talking about. Sense of accomplishment is going to be a problem. Even now when I hear people chatting about there phone service being bad...It Pi### me off cause it is normally easy to fix...IF YOU GET TO THE RIGHT PERSON. This is message will make many roll their eyes I'm sure !!!! I luv to listen though.
I get it, but the only people that should have a problem with missing a "sense of accomplishment" are those whose entire identity was tied to their career IMO. I had a couple of great careers, with plenty of accomplishments, but I always knew that my real life was away from work with friends and family. These days I have a great sense of accomplishment in; shooting a good golf score; grilling a perfect steak for friends; catching and cleaning a nice mess of fish; seeing my children succeed; seeing my grandchildren grow, mature, and succeed; admiring my yard after a day grooming it; spending the money I worked so hard, so long, and sacrificed so much, to save and accumulate. No looking back here, I have too much ahead of me.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:05 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

the most time consuming passion that retirement allows me to do is enjoy life. i never really knew how much stress i was under until the day after i retired!

i still awaken by 6am so i get to enjoy the morning television news shows, take a shower for as long as i want since i no longer have to catch a train, read the newspaper with my coffee on my porch or lanai rather than on the train, crochet my charity projects, shop, lunch with the girls, go to a movie, travel, cook fun meals and eat dinner before 7pm, engage with family on the computer, read a book, work on my word puzzles, and some day i'll make the time to read a stack of books that are gathering dust waiting for me to get around to them!

i'm retired 3 years and still enjoy reminding family/friends on sunday that i don't have to go to work tomorrow!

Old 11-03-2011, 08:51 PM
Default Freedom

After a career in education and working part-time for 5 years, one day it became crystal clear that I no longer wanted to devote one more minute of my remaining life to those endeavors. I wanted time and the freedom to make choices as to how to spend that time. Time and freedom to enjoy the remaining life granted to me, whatever that may be. I can't and don't ask for anything more.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:59 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
I was wondering what is your most time consuming passion that retirement allows you to do. "Nothing" and "work" are not options for this question.

At this point in life, work consumes our life. Working gets in the way of having fun. That is why I can't wait to get to TV.

I want to take painting classes, ballroom dancing, and learn how to bowl so I can bowl with my husband.

We love to play all cards games, trivia games, scrabble, chess, backgammon, etc. We don't know how to play bunco but looking forward to learning it too.

It seems we can never get bored in TV as there is always something to do, and if we don't know how we can take a class.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.