Returning a two and a half year old couch to Costco

Old 02-02-2024, 10:00 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,322 Times in 596 Posts
Default Returning a two and a half year old couch to Costco

This is an interesting article on a woman returning a couch to Costco after 2.5 years because she "just didn't like it anymore. We just don't like the color anymore."

The couch cost $900 and Costco refunded her money.

Seattle woman who returned Costco couch after 2.5 years goes viral, sparks ethics debate
Old 02-02-2024, 10:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
This is an interesting article on a woman returning a couch to Costco after 2.5 years because she "just didn't like it anymore. We just don't like the color anymore."

The couch cost $900 and Costco refunded her money.

Seattle woman who returned Costco couch after 2.5 years goes viral, sparks ethics debate
I'm a little suspicious. If true it could be a double-edged sword: good publicity, but possibly a whole lot of folks wanting to do the same thing. Costco does have a pretty liberal return policy though.

A couple of years back I returned a 65" Sonia Bravia TV about four months after I bought it at Costco, because it had no provision for toggling between headphone and speakers. In order to do that I had to move it out away from the wall and unplug the headphones from there, then move it back. Far too much effort. Anyway I called them and spoke to the floor guy, and he said that they couldn't do it as it was over a month past the return "no questions asked" date. I spoke to the manager, urged him to check our purchase record at Costco and then decide. He did, and called back in a few hours, saying they'd be happy to do it for a full refund. I told him I didn't want a refund; that I wanted to apply the purchase price toward another ($500 more than the Bravia) TV, which is what happened.

Very happy with Costco overall.
Old 02-02-2024, 10:33 AM
Veteran member
Default remember sears - everything returnable ?

remember sears - everything returnable ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
I'm a little suspicious. If true it could be a double-edged sword: good publicity, but possibly a whole lot of folks wanting to do the same thing. Costco does have a pretty liberal return policy though.

A couple of years back I returned a 65" Sonia Bravia TV about four months after I bought it at Costco, because it had no provision for toggling between headphone and speakers. In order to do that I had to move it out away from the wall and unplug the headphones from there, then move it back. Far too much effort. Anyway I called them and spoke to the floor guy, and he said that they couldn't do it as it was over a month past the return "no questions asked" date. I spoke to the manager, urged him to check our purchase record at Costco and then decide. He did, and called back in a few hours, saying they'd be happy to do it for a full refund. I told him I didn't want a refund; that I wanted to apply the purchase price toward another ($500 more than the Bravia) TV, which is what happened.

Old 02-02-2024, 10:34 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1ceasar View Post
remember sears - everything returnable ?
Sears = RIP
Old 02-02-2024, 10:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post

Note that TVs and other electronics can only be returned within 90 days of purchase. Almost everything else has no time limit for returns at Costco.
Old 02-02-2024, 11:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
Sears = RIP
Are they all gone? When they merged with Kmart and Kmart came on top knew it would be the death knell.
Old 02-02-2024, 10:02 PM

The most ridiculous related story I know of involved a Chinese woman in California who returned a real Christmas tree to Costco on December 26th.
Old 02-02-2024, 10:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
Sears = RIP
Wards rip.
Old 02-02-2024, 10:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Why wouldn’t they? They conned consumers into paying to shop in their stores.
Old 02-03-2024, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badkarma318 View Post
The most ridiculous related story I know of involved a Chinese woman in California who returned a real Christmas tree to Costco on December 26th.
Does it matter that she was “Chinese”?
Old 02-03-2024, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlctotv View Post
Does it matter that she was “Chinese”?
It must, they included it LOL
Old 02-03-2024, 06:00 AM

Ya right!
Old 02-03-2024, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Are they all gone? When they merged with Kmart and Kmart came on top knew it would be the death knell.
I had a boss who would buy shoes for his family and when they wore out, he would return them. K Mart always took them back. Talk about cheap.
Old 02-03-2024, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mraines View Post
I had a boss who would buy shoes for his family and when they wore out, he would return them. K Mart always took them back. Talk about cheap.
When I was in college there was a girl who would buy an outfit for a date, wear it and return it the next day! There really are people like this, but who taught them this stuff?
Old 02-03-2024, 08:52 AM

Best one I’ve ever heard was the return of a set of tires to a Nordstrom. But wait, you say, Nordstrom doesn’t sell tires. Correct, but the building Nordstrom was occupying used to be an auto supply store. They provided a full refund for the tires.

Tags
couch, costco, returning, anymore, cost

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.