Returning a two and a half year old couch to Costco

Old 02-03-2024, 08:53 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
This is an interesting article on a woman returning a couch to Costco after 2.5 years because she "just didn't like it anymore. We just don't like the color anymore."

The couch cost $900 and Costco refunded her money.

Seattle woman who returned Costco couch after 2.5 years goes viral, sparks ethics debate
I would consider that immoral. I had a friend who bought a pair of L.L. Bean hiking boots that were advertised as “if anything ever goes wrong with them, we’ll replace them.” He wore them for TWELVE YEARS, then returned them when a sole came loose. He received a new pair! That seemed wrong to me, but it was what Bean advertised. A couch is different.
Old 02-03-2024, 08:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Legally, a merchant is not required to accept any returns unless the product is defective. So, having a return policy must benefit the merchant more than the customers.
Old 02-03-2024, 08:59 AM

/////////
Old 02-03-2024, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlctotv View Post
Does it matter that she was “Chinese”?
My exact thought
Old 02-03-2024, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
This is an interesting article on a woman returning a couch to Costco after 2.5 years because she "just didn't like it anymore. We just don't like the color anymore."

The couch cost $900 and Costco refunded her money.

Seattle woman who returned Costco couch after 2.5 years goes viral, sparks ethics debate
I know a guy in NC that does the same thing. He buys a new vacuum cleaner every year and returns it at the end of the year claiming it's defective. Moved to Las Vefgas and bought a washer and dryer, used it for a year, decided to move back and returned them. He does this with lots of items!
He mistakenly told me about this and I asked how did it feel to be a common thief. He didn't like that too awful much. Fortunately, he doesn't come around any more.
In the end, it's actions like this that will drive up prices for all the good people.
Old 02-03-2024, 09:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRGuyNJ View Post
I know a guy in NC that does the same thing. He buys a new vacuum cleaner every year and returns it at the end of the year claiming it's defective. Moved to Las Vefgas and bought a washer and dryer, used it for a year, decided to move back and returned them. He does this with lots of items!
He mistakenly told me about this and I asked how did it feel to be a common thief. He didn't like that too awful much. Fortunately, he doesn't come around any more.
In the end, it's actions like this that will drive up prices for all the good people.
Claiming a product is defective that is not defective is a crime called fraud. But, returning a product to a merchant using their generous return policy is perfectly legal.
Old 02-03-2024, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
But, returning a product to a merchant using their generous return policy is perfectly legal.
Very true. There is legal and illegal. There is also right and wrong. They don't necessarily match.

We are the ones who pay for those who abuse return policies—not Costco and not insurance companies. That's because ultimately, all the money Costco (or any store) has comes from us.
Old 02-03-2024, 10:11 AM
Sage

If you buy a $12,000 ring from Costco, you can return it 10 or 15 years later and get a full refund. If you buy a $12,000 ring from a local jewelry store, you have 2 to 3 weeks to return it for a store credit, no refund. To me, it is a no brainer to buy all of your expensive jewelry from Costco.
Old 02-03-2024, 11:23 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1ceasar View Post
remember sears - everything returnable ?
The big difference here is that Costco is a membership store and therefore derives a very significant amount of their overall income from memberships. That is their business model. Sears business model was quality goods and services at discount prices - only the one stream of income.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehonour View Post
Very true. There is legal and illegal. There is also right and wrong. They don't necessarily match.
Spoken like someone who knows what they teach at law school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlctotv View Post
Does it matter that she was “Chinese”?
It might.

Looking at the discussion as a whole, makes one wonder how a right/wrong moral code is developed. If primarily by religion and religious values, then what religion is prevalent in China? If they are a CCP influenced Chinese person (as opposed to a born American of Chinese descent) that moral code may very well be just what is Legal or Illegal. The addition of identifying the person's citizenship may very well be an informative addition to the article and subsequent discourse.

Of course, in today's holier-than-thou virtue-signaling-is-primary culture, the application of common sense and common group practical experience opens one up to tenuous inferences and accusations of racism and other forms of ignorance.
Chino 1960's to 1976, Torrance, CA 1976-1983, 87-91, 94-98 / Frederick Co., MD 1983-1987/ Valencia, CA 1991-1994/ Brea, CA 1998-2002/ Dana Point, CA 2002-2019/ Knoxville, TN 2019-Current/ FL 2022-Current
Old 02-03-2024, 11:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehonour View Post

We are the ones who pay for those who abuse return policies—not Costco and not insurance companies. That's because ultimately, all the money Costco (or any store) has comes from us.
I partially agree. But, the merchant's return policy is entirely developed and enforced by the merchant. So, why blame people who take advantage of it, as long as they are correctly and honestly follow the merchant's policy?
Old 02-03-2024, 12:35 PM

***Does it matter that she was “Chinese”?***

Does it matter that they are “she, he, guy, girl, woman?” You might as well include them all and your own post in your shaming…
Old 02-04-2024, 08:21 AM

A few years ago I rented a home for a client as a Real Estate Broker. The couple who rented the home, the young Lady was a manager at a local Costco. She told a story about one of their customers who was in the Land Scape Business and had a Lawn Service. They had a customer who in the beginning of the season would buy new Lawn Mowers for his business. At the end of the season he would return them then buy new in the Spring. Costco eventually put in a policy change at that location to prevent such an abuse of their return policy. There is always one in the bunch who will push it to far.

Old 02-04-2024, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwoodrick View Post
A few years ago I rented a home for a client as a Real Estate Broker. The couple who rented the home, the young Lady was a manager at a local Costco. She told a story about one of their customers who was in the Land Scape Business and had a Lawn Service. They had a customer who in the beginning of the season would buy new Lawn Mowers for his business. At the end of the season he would return them then buy new in the Spring. Costco eventually put in a policy change at that location to prevent such an abuse of their return policy. There is always one in the bunch who will push it to far.
Same with Home Depot, Maryland. Years ago during a Hurricane many Generators were purchased and then after power was restored they were returned. After that no more return policy. Many people buy tools and return them after one use.

Last edited by sowilts; 02-04-2024 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Wording
Old 02-04-2024, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Wards rip.
Montgomery Wards still exists as a catalog order/online company
Old 02-04-2024, 05:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mraines View Post
I had a boss who would buy shoes for his family and when they wore out, he would return them. K Mart always took them back. Talk about cheap.
So, the costs get passed along to normal people who would never dream of doing something so immoral. What a great role model.

Tags
couch, costco, returning, anymore, cost

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.