Rhode Island police stopping cars with New York plates

Closed Thread
Old 03-28-2020, 08:08 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
This isn't about the ACLU. It's about Martial Law of which you seem to know nothing about. With Martial Law, there is no law and "they" will and can come into your house without your permission or court order. Read up on it. It has never been invoked in it's fullest, and I hope to God it never will. That will be the end of America and one hell of a bloodbath. Scary **** and a slippery slope.

Constitutional Topic: Martial Law - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net
Steve
Where, prey tell, do you get Martial Law from an officer turning away cars with New York plates? Bit of a stretch there.

Me - I’m all in favor. This is a war with an invisible army that needs to be turned away. Too bad DeSantis didn’t act sooner and chase the spring breakers
Old 03-28-2020, 08:17 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeM View Post
Where, prey tell, do you get Martial Law from an officer turning away cars with New York plates? Bit of a stretch there.

Me - I’m all in favor. This is a war with an invisible army that needs to be turned away. Too bad DeSantis didn’t act sooner and chase the spring breakers
Read back. This conversation turned to the discussion of Martial Law and the slippery slope. This is how it starts. Now everyone is ringing the "war bells". Now it's getting to be a "war" with the states all over again. Slippery slope!
Steve
Old 03-28-2020, 08:25 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Read back. This conversation turned to the discussion of Martial Law and the slippery slope. This is how it starts. Now everyone is ringing the "war bells". Now it's getting to be a "war" with the states all over again. Slippery slope!
Steve
And I pulled it back to the original subject. You’re being an alarmist over a governor’s smart move but enjoy your paranoia.

Texas has barred Louisiana plates. Arizona is considering barring California plates. Those that are still healthy don’t want to be overrun by those that are sick. Works for me.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:31 PM
Gold member

Quote:
And I pulled it back to the original subject. You’re being an alarmist over a governor’s smart move but enjoy your paranoia.

Texas has barred Louisiana plates. Arizona is considering barring California plates. Those that are still healthy don’t want to be overrun by those that are sick. Works for me.
"War" between the states all over again, not paranoia, it's happening.
Steve

Last edited by anothersteve; 03-28-2020 at 08:37 PM.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:08 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
"War" between the states all over again, not paranoia, it's happening.
Steve
Such is life.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:57 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Such is life.
Nice cavalier attitude. I rest my case.

Steve

Last edited by anothersteve; 03-28-2020 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

OK, now for some perspective: My girlfriend's son lives in Rhode Island. They are NOT going door to door with armed national guardsman searching for New Yorkers. They are ringing doorbells and asking if there are any out of state visitors, and if so handing out INFORMATION on self-quarantine. This is a long way from the obvious violation of the 4th amendment suggested in the OP
Old 03-29-2020, 05:42 AM
Send a message via ICQ to Nannyof3 Send a message via AIM to Nannyof3 Send a message via Yahoo to Nannyof3 Send a message via Skype™ to Nannyof3

Let’s build a wall around every state
Old 03-29-2020, 05:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

When Moses was looking for somewhere to take the Israelites, God suggested he go to America.
Moses was horrified.
"Have you seen their Constitution?" he replied
"27 Ammendments, it's going to be nothing but trouble!"
"Oy Vey! We are having enough problems keeping these 10 bl**dy Commandments you dumped on us!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
OK, now for some perspective: My girlfriend's son lives in Rhode Island. They are NOT going door to door with armed national guardsman searching for New Yorkers. They are ringing doorbells and asking if there are any out of state visitors, and if so handing out INFORMATION on self-quarantine. This is a long way from the obvious violation of the 4th amendment suggested in the OP
According to the RI governor, they are explicitly looking for those who have been to NY door-to-door:

Quote:
"Right now, we have a pinpointed risk that we need to address, and we need to be very serious and that risk is called New York City," said Rhode Island Gov. Gina Raimondo at a news conference Friday.
Starting Saturday, Rhode Island law enforcement officers and the National Guard will be "going door-to-door" in coastal communities, asking people if they've been to New York and requesting their contact information, she said
Source: CNN Rhode Island coronavirus: State is looking for New Yorkers to slow the spread of the virus - CNN
Sage

Also,the National Guard in Rhode Island is going door to door, checking on vacation homes, to insure that New Yorkers if present are self quaranting
Old 03-29-2020, 05:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Also,the National Guard in Rhode Island is going door to door, checking on vacation homes, to insure that New Yorkers if present are self quaranting
Huge difference between "checking", "knocking on doors", "handing out information", "asking them to self-quarantine" and DOOR TO DOOR SEARCHES (which is what the British did in the years leading up to the revolutionary war, as well as Stalin, Mao, and Hitler)
Old 03-29-2020, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Huge difference between "checking", "knocking on doors", "handing out information", "asking them to self-quarantine" and DOOR TO DOOR SEARCHES (which is what the British did in the years leading up to the revolutionary war, as well as Stalin, Mao, and Hitler)
Well, according to the RI gov, they are taking contact information from those NY'ers they find. And your comment about "asking them to self-quarantine" doesn't match up with news stories:

Quote:
On Friday Raimondo said state police would be stopping cars with New York license plates and doing house-to-house searches to identify people who recently traveled from New York and ordering them to self-quarantine.
Source: NPR/WGBH Boston: Rhode Island Governor Issues Strict Stay-At-Home Order
Old 03-29-2020, 06:27 AM
Send a message via ICQ to gemini5001 Send a message via AIM to gemini5001

I agree with you.
We don't need the National Guard coming onto our houses and telling us what to do.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:27 AM

Dare County, NC, has set up police roadblocks on the two roads leading within and are turning away just about everyone.

Coronavirus: North Carolina And Florida Counties Closing Borders To Visitors
Closed Thread

Tags
york, island, it’s, rhode, plates

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.