RIP Bill Russell

Closed Thread
Old 08-01-2022, 03:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,079 Times in 2,746 Posts
Default RIP Bill Russell

Celtics great Bill Russell passed away yesterday at the age of 88. His record of accomplishments is unprecedented among professional team sport athletes, including:

- two NCAA championships
- eleven NBA championships as a player
- five time NBA most valuable player
- an Olympic gold metalist
- two NBA championships as the first ever black coach in any North American professional sport

The list goes on and on……. In addition to his greatness as an athlete, he was an equally great person. He was beloved by everyone who knew him and was one of the first and most influential civil rights activists of his time, paving the way for future generations. Bill belongs on the Mt. Rushmore of the greatest athletes of all time.
Old 08-01-2022, 07:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

R.I.P. He was a great man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Celtics great Bill Russell passed away yesterday at the age of 88. His record of accomplishments is unprecedented among professional team sport athletes, including:

- two NCAA championships
- eleven NBA championships as a player
- five time NBA most valuable player
- an Olympic gold metalist
- two NBA championships as the first ever black coach in any North American professional sport

The list goes on and on……. In addition to his greatness as an athlete, he was an equally great person. He was beloved by everyone who knew him and was one of the first and most influential civil rights activists of his time, paving the way for future generations. Bill belongs on the Mt. Rushmore of the greatest athletes of all time.
Old 08-01-2022, 09:01 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

RIP Bill, he was a great man that carried himself well at all times. I always loved his comments during the Jordan/ Lebron conversations.
Old 08-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Platinum member

Single-handedly made Red Auerbach a genius
Old 08-02-2022, 03:51 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Wilt Chamberlain was the greatest, most dominant, athlete of all time. Bill Russell was the greatest team player and leader of all time. It was an incredible experience to witness many of their matchups. Russell was a fabulous human being who was not treated with the respect he deserved in New England in the sixties and seventies.
Old 08-02-2022, 04:23 PM
Sage

I remember watching the Celtics, Bob Cousy, Bill Sharmen, KC and SamJones.I loved Cousy because it was like watching a magic show as he passed the ball behind his back and of course Bill Russell.

Bill was the first player I saw dunk a basketball and a fierce defender especially when the game was on the line

A good teammate and a good person.

RIP Bill

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 08-02-2022, 09:15 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 595 Posts

But how many basketball players - from any era - would you pay to see play? And who are they?
Old 08-03-2022, 04:44 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
celtics great bill russell passed away yesterday at the age of 88. His record of accomplishments is unprecedented among professional team sport athletes, including:

- two ncaa championships
- eleven nba championships as a player
- five time nba most valuable player
- an olympic gold metalist
- two nba championships as the first ever black coach in any north american professional sport

the list goes on and on……. In addition to his greatness as an athlete, he was an equally great person. He was beloved by everyone who knew him and was one of the first and most influential civil rights activists of his time, paving the way for future generations. Bill belongs on the mt. Rushmore of the greatest athletes of all time.
r . I. P.
Old 08-03-2022, 06:27 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES

Wilt couldn't shoot or make a foul shot
Old 08-03-2022, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
Wilt Chamberlain was the greatest, most dominant, athlete of all time. Bill Russell was the greatest team player and leader of all time. It was an incredible experience to witness many of their matchups. Russell was a fabulous human being who was not treated with the respect he deserved in New England in the sixties and seventies.
Ed I must disagree. Wilt may have been the greatest athlete of his time no disagreement there. Yet Russ was clearly by himself on the court. Russell could and did run the court one end to the other like no center before or after him. The game always seemed more important to Russell than it did to Wilt. Thus no matter who the Celtics supporting cast was they continued to thrive and win. True loved the match ups between those two players yet I’m not a fan of NBA’s game today with individual play and selfishness.
Old 08-03-2022, 07:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,047 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedalton View Post
Wilt couldn't shoot or make a foul shot
Agree he was a lousy foul shooter but he sure did get a lot of points so he did shoot fairly well.
Old 08-03-2022, 08:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,079 Times in 2,746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
But how many basketball players - from any era - would you pay to see play? And who are they?
I could come up with a long list of former players including Oscar Robertson, Bill Walton, Julius Erving ( The pride of UMASS), Larry Bird, Hakeem Olajuwon, Kevin McHale, Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippin, Tim Duncan, Bob Cousy, John Havlicek, and of course Bill Russell.
In todays modern era, I can only come up with one player, Giannis Antetokounmpo.
Old 08-03-2022, 03:02 PM
Default Class Guy

Bill Russell was a class guy. He worked hard in a very racist town, Boston, not easy. He was even denied membership at the Hyannisport Golf Club due to his height.NOT, it was the 60's and even Kennedy's hangout denied him. He took that pill and continued to excel always instead. More class than any of those mentioned and more for all time. We thank him for his time with us.

he
Quote:
I could come up with a long list of former players including Oscar Robertson, Bill Walton, Julius Erving ( The pride of UMASS), Larry Bird, Hakeem Olajuwon, Kevin McHale, Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippin, Tim Duncan, Bob Cousy, John Havlicek, and of course Bill Russell.
In todays modern era, I can only come up with one player, Giannis Antetokounmpo.
Old 08-03-2022, 07:57 PM

Lakers/Rams fan since the 70's. Never liked Celtics and still do not care for them. But Russell passing away makes me a little sad. Too young to have seen him play or coach but enjoyed his commentary and personality over the years as an NBA analyst. I just saw a small story about how they drafted him and racist stuff he went through, interesting read. Will have to e-book his bio one day. Read a bunch of sports bios back in the day, Jim Brown's was the best. I think Russell's will be really good. RIP #6.
Closed Thread

Tags
championships, nba, time, bill, sport

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.