" Rising Threats Shrinking Military "

Closed Thread
Old 04-17-2016, 01:11 PM
Veteran member
Exclamation " Rising Threats Shrinking Military "

Here is a real eye opener for all Americans.

Please Watch and or Record Bret Baiers " Rising Threats Shrinking Military " today 04/17/16 @ 8:00 PM and 10:00 PM on Fox News.

This is non political just simply what happened and is happening.

Last edited by 600th Photo Sq; 04-17-2016 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Budget cuts leaving Marine Corps aircraft grounded.

Budget cuts leaving Marine Corps aircraft grounded | Fox News

A fact of the matter does not have to be politicized. Most of us can and do discuss those things that have an affect our lives.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:57 PM
Veteran member

I often find that I learn a lot when watching the cable "news" stations that I don't like.

Watching only one's favorite "news" channel becomes a lot of "preaching to the choir". There's no stretching nor challenge of one's thinking in that.

The documentary linked above is excellent. There are certain journalists on each network who are a class act no matter where they're employed and deployed. Bret Baier is one of the best.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:31 PM
Veteran member

Then again... you have this.
Dude, where

Slaughter on 10th Avenue (and more) -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMo6w...gbuFRTT06nS9pn
Old 04-19-2016, 07:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Doesn't seem to be that dramatic of a change................................
Military Spending History
US Military Budget: Components, Challenges, Growth
Old 04-19-2016, 02:45 PM
Email Reported As Spam

"The US 2015 base budget defense appropriations excluding overseas contingency spending was less than 3% as opposed to 5.7% in the peace time years during the period 1940-20000"

"As the US allow its nuclear forces to stagnate and decay into de facto unilateral disarmament Russia has been modernizing its own."

"with little resistance China incrementally annexes the South China Sea."

"Russia, China and Iran have been racing ahead stimulated by a disintegrating Europe that neither spends sufficiently on its defense nor defends its borders ;
and by an America, strategically blind in the Middle East

In this powerful nation with founding principles and latent capacities second to none, politics have become fit for the fall of Rome, the culture is sick with self-destruction and the rule of law is routinely perverted"

Cite: Mark Helprin, author and senior fellow Claremont Institute

Personal Best Regards:
Old 04-19-2016, 02:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimesintv View Post
I often find that I learn a lot when watching the cable "news" stations that I don't like.

Watching only one's favorite "news" channel becomes a lot of "preaching to the choir". There's no stretching nor challenge of one's thinking in that.

The documentary linked above is excellent. There are certain journalists on each network who are a class act no matter where they're employed and deployed. Bret Baier is one of the best.
How true. I switch it up constantly. Unfortunately I'm a news junkie. The news of the military wanting for anything is very bad. It is one of the worst things I can think of. People serving our country should be treated as royalty. Damn it. I had to come back. This makes me sick. Exactly who is at fault on this? How can they live with themselves?

Last edited by Nucky; 04-19-2016 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 04-20-2016, 04:41 AM
Email Reported As Spam

News Media Insight Project, a partnership with Associate Press took a poll and found only 6% of Americans have confidence in what the news media reports.

That is saying a lot especially when you find 100% of the viewers watching "The View" believe everything they hear on that program as gospel
Old 04-20-2016, 08:48 AM
Platinum member
Default Navy reducing also

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Budget cuts leaving Marine Corps aircraft grounded.

Budget cuts leaving Marine Corps aircraft grounded | Fox News

A fact of the matter does not have to be politicized. Most of us can and do discuss those things that have an affect our lives.
The navy is also reducing crew sizes on ships. Cutting back on allowing people to continue careers by reenlisting.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:43 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jima64 View Post
The navy is also reducing crew sizes on ships. Cutting back on allowing people to continue careers by reenlisting.
I can agree with the cutting back.

With all the smart weapons and computer controlled components, you do not necessarily need all the personnel say you did 15-20 years ago to operate.

Does not mean that our Military is any less capable..... Just Sayin.

The cutting back on re-up opportunities being reduced was going on when I got out of the Corps in 93. Was getting real strict then. I had to get out due to lack of promotion openings in my field, not really by choice. But was glad to get back to a normal life.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jima64 View Post
My grand daughter who is a career marine having served in Iraq was told she would no longer be able to re-up to continue her career.

She will be out on the street from the military January 2017.

Totally and completely makes no sense what so ever!
Old 04-20-2016, 05:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
My grand daughter who is a career marine having served in Iraq was told she would no longer be able to re-up to continue her career.

She will be out on the street from the military January 2017.

Totally and completely makes no sense what so ever!
Thank her, on my behalf, for her service, BTK.

For those who think our military is currently strong enough, I pray you are correct. There are plenty of more knowledgeable people than I who would say we are weak militarily, and getting weaker while potential adversaries are becoming increasingly stronger.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:43 PM
Veteran member

Not sure on being weak, especially Military.

We have so many smart weapons that it only makes sense to cut back on how many enlisted and officer personnel you need. It becomes a well oiled machine. 40 years ago you might need 100 people to build a car, now you might need 4 to watch the computers.

The Military is really advanced at this time. I do not see many countries that can compete with what we got. I know other countries are bigger in size. but that does not matter like in WW1 or 2. It is not the ground forces that fight the big part of any battle. Cruise missiles from the ships now do alot of damage from a long ways off, Stealth fighters and now stealth ships.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zumwalt-class_destroyer.

We as a country should be proud of any one the serves or served this county. That is the Bottom Line as far as I am concerned. I whole heartedly believe that any personnel endure a injury in defense of this Great Nation, that person should be Generously taken care of the rest of their life. Not sure why we have groups raising money to help injured military vets and so one with medical coverage and housing and jobs and food. 1000 % UNREAL!!! Now that is just me, but like I always say..

For those that serve or have served, I say this to you and your family:
Old 04-20-2016, 05:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryW View Post
Not sure on being weak, especially Military.

We have so many smart weapons that it only makes sense to cut back on how many enlisted and officer personnel you need. It becomes a well oiled machine. 40 years ago you might need 100 people to build a car, now you might need 4 to watch the computers.

The Military is really advanced at this time. I do not see many countries that can compete with what we got. I know other countries are bigger in size. but that does not matter like in WW1 or 2. It is not the ground forces that fight the big part of any battle. Cruise missiles from the ships now do alot of damage from a long ways off, Stealth fighters and now stealth ships.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zumwalt-class_destroyer.

We as a country should be proud of any one the serves or served this county. That is the Bottom Line as far as I am concerned. I whole heartedly believe that any personnel endure a injury in defense of this Great Nation, that person should be Generously taken care of the rest of their life. Not sure why we have groups raising money to help injured military vets and so one with medical coverage and housing and jobs and food. 1000 % UNREAL!!! Now that is just me, but like I always say..

For those that serve or have served, I say this to you and your family:

To respond to a number of your points this thread would have to be converted to the political side. However the issue of our strength is a matter of public record. We have had several of our top military leaders testify before congress that our ability to participate in one theater, much less several, has been severely diminished.

You and I do agree though on the thanks we owe to those who have served.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

There has been a fantastic exchange of ideas in this thread...very very respectful and thoughtful. Billthkid's granddaughter not being able to finish her 20 years is terrible. I would bet a body part that that's not what was promised by the recruiters when she originally joined. This may change after the election and if she wishes to continue to serve I hope the promise that was made to her is kept. Very nice "concept" about smart weapons and less people needed. That way of thinking the moment you have skin in the game would change. I'm not revealing the inventory of family & friends of people serving but it's vast. Protect them with more people and the very best equipment. To hell with money spend it to make us #1. More is better bigger is better. Better is better. Three world leaders have directly disrespected us in the last 30 day's. Wake up & ramp up!
Closed Thread

Tags
rising, threats, shrinking, military, fox, news, political, happened, happening, simply, bret, opener, eye, real, americans, baiers, today, record, watch, 04/17/16

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.