Safe Driving Discount in Florida

Closed Thread
Old 11-22-2023, 09:06 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,323 Times in 597 Posts
Default Safe Driving Discount in Florida

Before I moved to the Villages, I took a safe driving course which gave me a significant savings on my auto insurance. The course was good for three years and will expire soon.

I called the Villages Insurance and was told that if I took the course down here, it would be good for three years but would only save me about $10 a year on my policy with Travelers insurance. I just checked the internet and the courses cost about $30.

Rather than a standard reduction (10%), it appears that every company can decide what the reduction will be.

Has anyone had a significant reduction in their premium down here after taking a defensive driving course? If so, what is your insurance company?

This is the statute.

Statutes & Constitution
:View Statutes
:

Online Sunshine

The statute says that the insurance company “shall provide for an appropriate reduction in premium charges as to such coverages when the principal operator on the covered vehicle is an insured 55 years of age or older who has successfully completed a motor vehicle accident prevention course approved by the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. Any discount used by an insurer is presumed to be appropriate unless credible data demonstrates otherwise.
Old 11-22-2023, 01:57 PM

I also had a significant discount on my car insurance when I lived in New York for taking a defensive driving course. When I was told what it was going to be in Florida, I never bothered to take the course again.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 11-22-2023, 02:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Florida has a lot of stupid, unenforceable laws.
Closed Thread

Tags
insurance, reduction, company, driving, years

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.