Scamming sure must be profitable -- latest call. Anybody else getting these?

Closed Thread
Old 05-10-2021, 02:37 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default Scamming sure must be profitable -- latest call. Anybody else getting these?

A couple of times lately, my cell has rung with a recording supposedly from Amazon saying they have spotted suspicious activity of a $700+ charge for an iPhone, and I need to press buttons to talk to someone who can verify or stop the purchase.

This is the second time this has happened with a slight variation in the message. I think the first time, the recording might have said it was Apple calling. (Besides -- do people buy Apple phones on Amazon anyway or are the scammers just using the two biggest, most familiar names they can think of to try to get their targets' attention?)

Now, before anybody chastises me for picking up on an unknown number, we have to right now because we are working on a project that involves several people who are not all programmed into my phone, and these scam numbers show up as local.

I did look at the credit card associated with Amazon and there are no pending orders. Also, we are set up to receive a text whenever a charge is made.

I cannot imagine that Amazon and Apple actually call people to try to convince them they are watching out for them. But scammers are never going to stop. It pays well.

Boomer
Old 05-10-2021, 02:49 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
A couple of times lately, my cell has rung with a recording supposedly from Amazon saying they have spotted suspicious activity of a $700+ charge for an iPhone, and I need to press buttons to talk to someone who can verify or stop the purchase.

This is the second time this has happened with a slight variation in the message. I think the first time, the recording might have said it was Apple calling. (Besides -- do people buy Apple phones on Amazon anyway or are the scammers just using the two biggest, most familiar names they can think of to try to get their targets' attention?)

Now, before anybody chastises me for picking up on an unknown number, we have to right now because we are working on a project that involves several people who are not all programmed into my phone, and these scam numbers show up as local.

I did look at the credit card associated with Amazon and there are no pending orders. Also, we are set up to receive a text whenever a charge is made.

I cannot imagine that Amazon and Apple actually call people to try to convince them they are watching out for them. But scammers are never going to stop. It pays well.

Boomer
They somehow use very similar numbers that You’ve had contact with and once I caught a scammer piggybacking on a Friends number.🤬
Old 05-10-2021, 02:50 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:

Boomer
For those using AARP, and receive their monthly Bulletin magazine, this SCAM stuff is very very scary business. The long article is "Inside the Fraud Factory", and focuses on the illegal Indian Scam businesses - HUGE. Very interesting article with inside information from a 'good guy' computer expert that cracked/hacked their code and was able to see how extensive and criminal these people are. They especially prey on 'old folks'...with phone and computer scams.

Well worth the time to review.>

Daily News - Health, Money, Social Security, Medicare, Politics - Bulletin Today
Old 05-10-2021, 02:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:

Boomer
Yep, seen this scam as a text message, heard about it as an email, and my father received it as a phone call.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 05-10-2021, 03:00 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:

Boomer
If it’s not in my contacts goes straight to voicemail “and that’s the way I like it”
Anyone we do business with gets included in my phones contacts.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,019 Times in 1,745 Posts

Thanks for notifying about this scam. I guess hanging up is best option but since they are using my air time or phone line which I pay for, I also give them a piece of my mind. I know it is a recording but they need to find out somehow what their victim’s response is. And if nothing else, it makes me feel better. In the decades I have been using Amazon and Apple they have not phoned me even once.
Old 05-10-2021, 04:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Thanks for notifying about this scam. I guess hanging up is best option but since they are using my air time or phone line which I pay for, I also give them a piece of my mind. I know it is a recording but they need to find out somehow what their victim’s response is. And if nothing else, it makes me feel better. In the decades I have been using Amazon and Apple they have not phoned me even once.
Every time you talk to them, you confirm that you are someone who is willing to engage with them. And every time you do that, your name, phone number, and sometimes even a recording of your voice is sold to thousands of other scammers via lists.

If it makes you feel better to know you are intentionally setting yourself up as a target for more nefarious scams than the ones you engage with, well - I guess whatever floats your boat.

For me, when a call comes in from a phone number I don't recognize, I answer (because sometimes it's someone I'm actually expecting to hear from and just don't know their number) "who dis?" I don't say hello. I don't say yes, I don't engage in conversation.

If I hear a click or a tone (as though a machine is connecting me to a voice on the other end) I disconnect and block the number.

If I hear a foreign accent, I disconnect and block the number. If I hear a machine I block the number.
Old 05-10-2021, 04:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,019 Times in 1,745 Posts

When I used to have a landline I let my Welsh Terrier answer scammers. He just loved to bark at the phone. Couldn’t resist.
Old 05-10-2021, 07:29 PM

When these hijacked numbers first started about 5 years ago, I texted back to the local looking number with the the same first 3 digits as my number. It was the actual owner of the phone number who didn't know their number was highjacked. Unfortunately it's not illegal to take someone else's number.....total BS
Old 05-10-2021, 08:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
For those using AARP, and receive their monthly Bulletin magazine, this SCAM stuff is very very scary business. The long article is "Inside the Fraud Factory", and focuses on the illegal Indian Scam businesses - HUGE. Very interesting article with inside information from a 'good guy' computer expert that cracked/hacked their code and was able to see how extensive and criminal these people are. They especially prey on 'old folks'...with phone and computer scams.

Well worth the time to review.>

Daily News - Health, Money, Social Security, Medicare, Politics - Bulletin Today
Yes, I read that lengthy excellently written article. You can actually see the videos of the scammers in operation filmed by the good guy hacker. Youtube.com/jimbrowning
Old 05-10-2021, 08:45 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Another thing showing up lately in texts and calls is worded to try to look like the targeted person initiated a contact about changing their Medicare supplement and the scammer is just “returning” the call — anything to try to confuse. That one is either an uninvited sales pitch or an attempt to get personal information.

Medicare supplement open enrollment is only at a certain time of year — unless you are new to Medicare. These “Medicare” calls and texts happen all the time, repeatedly. They have stink all over them.

Last edited by Boomer; 05-10-2021 at 08:50 PM.
Old 05-11-2021, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Every time you talk to them, you confirm that you are someone who is willing to engage with them. And every time you do that, your name, phone number, and sometimes even a recording of your voice is sold to thousands of other scammers via lists.

If it makes you feel better to know you are intentionally setting yourself up as a target for more nefarious scams than the ones you engage with, well - I guess whatever floats your boat.

For me, when a call comes in from a phone number I don't recognize, I answer (because sometimes it's someone I'm actually expecting to hear from and just don't know their number) "who dis?" I don't say hello. I don't say yes, I don't engage in conversation.

If I hear a click or a tone (as though a machine is connecting me to a voice on the other end) I disconnect and block the number.

If I hear a foreign accent, I disconnect and block the number. If I hear a machine I block the number.
I answer: "What do you want?" It works perfectly.
“When you realize that to produce, you must obtain the permission from those who do not produce anything; When it is proven that the money flows to those who trade not with goods, but with favors; When you realize that many get rich by bribery and influence rather than by work. When you realize that corruption is rewarded and honesty becomes self-sacrifice; Then you can say, without fear of making mistakes, your society is doomed.”

Ayn Rand
Atlas Shrugged,1957.
Old 05-11-2021, 06:12 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:

Boomer
Old old scam. Been going on for years. Just hang up and ignore it
Old 05-11-2021, 06:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,048 Times in 5,337 Posts

If only the do not call list is actually enforced.
Old 05-11-2021, 06:26 AM

Never call phone numbers or follow links that come up unsolicited on your computer. Go separately to the the official website of the business claiming to need to contact you and only use links or phone numbers you find there.
Closed Thread

Tags
amazon, people, apple, stop, charge

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.