Senior Crime

Closed Thread
Old 08-29-2020, 04:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
She should have asked someone who knew about car buying to come with her.

Also when you shop for a big ticket item should have some idea of what it might cost.

Do not think a crime was committed though.

I agree. Car sales people are constantly going to classes and being coached on how to close the deal...keep in mind, this is what they do for a living week in and week out...they know how to do it

the average person is NEVER on a level playing field when dealing with a car sales person... add into the mix that the person is elderly and may not have done any homework and that's a 'perfect storm'

when my father-in-law retired, he sold his Toyota dealership...he always negotiated the deal for anyone in the family when it came to buying an automobile...regardless of brand
Old 08-29-2020, 05:13 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
I kind of vaguely recall hearing that tires filled with nitrogen would yield better gas mileage.
Nitrogen does not expand or contract with temperature change, the tire pressure remains constant. Expansion and contraction of regular air lowers and raises tire pressure which can affect gas mileage.
Old 08-29-2020, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
I agree. Car sales people are constantly going to classes and being coached on how to close the deal...keep in mind, this is what they do for a living week in and week out...they know how to do it

the average person is NEVER on a level playing field when dealing with a car sales person... add into the mix that the person is elderly and may not have done any homework and that's a 'perfect storm'

when my father-in-law retired, he sold his Toyota dealership...he always negotiated the deal for anyone in the family when it came to buying an automobile...regardless of brand
And then there's the "dealer fee" that most Florida dealers add at the bottom of the addition to try to hide it with the state fees. It seems to range from $500 to $1000 and is a Florida thing. When comparing the bottom line prices between two Florida dealers and two Ohio dealers for the identical new car, the Florida dealers were consistently higher in their on-line quotes and where they held firm. I even shared an Ohio quote I had with a Florida dealer, and the Florida dealer backed away and said they wouldn't match it. They didn't budge, or call back, so I bought the car in Ohio. I'm driving it down to The Villages this weekend. I hadn't come across this "dealer fee" trick before in other states.
Old 08-29-2020, 10:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

A famous person (somewhere) once said: "If you make an offer to a car dealer and they accept it you paid too much!
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 08-29-2020, 10:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shut the front door View Post
That is not true. I have bought 2 vehicles from a Ford dealership that has "no haggle" prices.
Been there, done that. You can ALWAYS haggle a "no haggle" price and if you didn't you likely paid too much. Why do you think they don't want you to "haggle." It ain't because they are nice guys.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 08-30-2020, 05:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,733 Times in 5,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Been there, done that. You can ALWAYS haggle a "no haggle" price and if you didn't you likely paid too much. Why do you think they don't want you to "haggle." It ain't because they are nice guys.
They want you to haggle because they are better at it than you are. I never haggle with a car dealer. I let them suggest an out-the-door price, and if it is too high, I make them a take-it-or-leave-it offer, based on independent research. No haggling is necessary because they need your business more than you need theirs.
Old 08-30-2020, 11:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

Call the Orlando TV reporters, channel 9,Todd Ulrich - consumer investigations - WFTV
Old 09-03-2020, 09:27 AM

Your best bet is to reveal the dealership name and what they did to you. No immediate monetary value to you, but lost sales from bad word of mouth will definitely hurt and be felt by the dealership.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
Nitrogen does not expand or contract with temperature change, the tire pressure remains constant. Expansion and contraction of regular air lowers and raises tire pressure which can affect gas mileage.
Except it is not true

Nitrogen Truths and Myths – Power Tank.
Closed Thread

Tags
crime, senior, dealer, suggestions, seniors

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.