Seriously: What constitutes a life well-lived?

Closed Thread
Old 09-16-2022, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
I always hear parents say that having kids was their greatest achievement. I never got to do that, so perhaps teaching may have been mine. Inspiring the next generation to be the best version of themselves, taking on their future with courage, dedication, ethics, fairness and optimism is what I tried to 'achieve'.
My family background is mainly nurses and teachers. I have two grown children and they will often refer to the influence a certain teacher had on their lives. Everyone needs a mentor and someone they can trust.
Old 09-16-2022, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderOnTheStorm View Post
As we approach the twilight of our lives it is easy to reflect upon the quality of the life we have lived; memorable achievements, things we didn't do or wished we had, lasting legacies, etc. I think it would be very interesting to discuss what Village residents, experienced with life, consider a life well-lived; not the usual cheap cliches such as "accumulating the most toys" or even financial wealth which is but one small measure of success, but rather diverse and meaningful measures of a good life spent; things that will bring a smile to your face when your time ultimately comes. Serious thoughts Villagers?
Life itself is no accident, it is a miracle - God's miracle not to be wasted. One lives in the hope of becoming a memory, lives with hope of life eternal and in the assurance that "neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor rulers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans 8:38-39).

Be an example and inspiration to all those around you, especially to your beloved family. And above all, Thankfulness is the beginning of happiness, gratitude turns what we have into enough and daily prayers of thanksgiving for the abundance in life gives contentment.‬ This is how to live in peace and having a life well lived.
Old 09-16-2022, 01:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,671 Times in 1,506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Accumulating 5,000 posts on ToTV.

O.K., I'll laugh at this. 😄😄😄 pretty funny.
Old 09-16-2022, 01:54 PM
Platinum member
Default Happy days, ! Ayyyyyy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57alleymae View Post
my great achievement was developing a relationship with god. His love brought me through all the bumps in the road. He taught me how to give unconditional love and how to forgive .
this is as close as to psychotherapy as it gets. Heres my take. I've read many aspiring responses in villager's responses but i found in my own life that events occur especially with family members who you can forgive, but who could care less that you do so. In these circumstances i've adopted the mind set of west bound european and american pioneers who knew as they embarked on their life's journey they would never see their loved ones again. It hurts, but it's best for all concerned. We do not all have father/ mother knows best lives.
Old 09-16-2022, 03:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

My daughter and grandson gave me a shirt that says something like being a great dad leads to being an awesome Papa. To me that says it all. Did I do everything perfect or do all I could do, absolutely not but I feel I did good. Being diagnosed with incurable cancer at age 49 really made me think, now 9 year later we are still living. From many family vacations to camping to 19 years as a Scout leader to many years of coaching soccer, baseball, softball and basketball to meting involved in their school as 4 years of PTO President, 8 years running the annual wrapping paper sale and 9 years of running the annual haunted house I got to spend so much time with the 3 kids, my wife and all their friends. This was all so special.

Now it is grand children time, currently 2 (7&3) and soon to be 3, maybe this week and #4 comes in March. It is so exciting.

So toys, yes most have them and I told my wife to sell any and all once I am gone. House in MA, house in the Villages, camper in NH, camper to travel with, timeshare in Aruba, my F350 and my beloved boat.

One of my greatest joys is that all 3 kids still camp and many times with us. Our daughter and grandson are joining us in Aruba which is huge and I still have 2 to get to Florida to visit.

To quote a movie, It has been a Wonderful Life.
Old 09-17-2022, 04:48 AM

What a sad reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babubhat View Post
Could not care less
Old 09-17-2022, 05:58 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
As we approach the twilight of our lives it is easy to reflect upon the quality of the life we have lived; memorable achievements, things we didn't do or wished we had, lasting legacies, etc. I think it would be very interesting to discuss what Village residents, experienced with life, consider a life well-lived; not the usual cheap cliches such as "accumulating the most toys" or even financial wealth which is but one small measure of success, but rather diverse and meaningful measures of a good life spent; things that will bring a smile to your face when your time ultimately comes. Serious thoughts Villagers?
If one could live one's life over again, how many things would you do the same and how many things would you change? I would not change 80-90% of what I did, so for me, that was a life well lived.
Old 09-17-2022, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
I always hear parents say that having kids was their greatest achievement. I never got to do that, so perhaps teaching may have been mine. Inspiring the next generation to be the best version of themselves, taking on their future with courage, dedication, ethics, fairness and optimism is what I tried to 'achieve'.
Very well said. Keys to the kingdom. And as we all learn — sometimes only at the very end — “All bitterness, fury, anger, shouting, and reviling must be removed from you, along with all malice.
[And] be kind to one another, compassionate, forgiving one another as God has forgiven you …”
Old 09-17-2022, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneclickplus View Post
The answers will vary as it depends on whose standard one uses to measure. I try to use this standard:

Matthew 6:33
But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness ...
Agreed, after screwing things up for 70 years I now see that God's kingdom is the only thing that matters.
Old 09-17-2022, 08:11 AM

Living by the golden rule and mindful thankfulness is at the core for me.
When I fail at either one, I’m disappointed in myself. I have a plaque with a quote questionably attributed to Abe Lincoln: “When I do good I feel good, when I do bad I feel bad, and that’s my religion.”

That’s the core. The other part of the equation for me to have a life well lived is to do what makes me happy. If that means staying home and reading or doing crosswords or whatever, I do it. There can be a lot of pressure in The Villages to be active all the time and to have a full calendar. If that makes you happy, go for it. But personally a full calendar means not enough me time. I’m a friendly introvert. I walk among you, smile, and joke, but I can’t wait to get home and curl up in my own private paradise I call home.
Old 09-17-2022, 10:06 AM
Veteran member
Default if you haven't ever made mistakes - you haven't lived

risk is certainly part of life. travel , doing good for the community, making some enemies, ticking sme one off .. all part of a good life and a few beers ....
Old 09-17-2022, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luggage View Post
risk is certainly part of life. travel , doing good for the community, making some enemies, ticking sme one off .. all part of a good life and a few beers ....
Ah yes, drinks with friends 🍷🍻🥤near the top of my gratitude list 🥰
Old 09-17-2022, 01:35 PM

Here's a great reference from my former colleague, Chuck Colson. He asked the same question using an illustration from the movie, 'Saving Private Ryan'. If one is really interested in pursing this topic, I'd recommend his book, "The Good Life".

"Captain Miller lay close by where he had been hit, his back slumped against the bridge’s wall. Ryan, in anguish, was alone with his rescuer in the final moments before Miller died. Ryan watched as the captain struggled in his last moments, shot clean through one lung. The captain wouldn’t take another breath, except to grunt, “James. Earn this … earn it.” Were these dying words a final order or charge? Private Ryan has always taken it that way. These memories rivet the aged James Ryan, who now finds himself staring at the grave marker and mumbling to his dead commander. He tells Captain Miller that his family is with him. He confesses that he wasn’t sure how he would feel about coming to the cemetery today. He wants Captain Miller to know that every day of his life he’s thought of their conversation at the bridge, of Miller’s dying words. Ryan has tried to live a good life, and he hopes he has. At least in the captain’s eyes, he hopes he’s “earned it,” that his life has been worthy of the sacrifice Captain Miller and the other men made of giving their lives for his. As Ryan mutters these thoughts, he cannot help wondering how any life, however well lived, could be worthy of his friends’ sacrifice. The old man stands up, but he doesn’t feel released. The question remains unanswered. His wife comes to his side again. He looks at her and pleads, “Tell me I’ve led a good life.” Confused by his request, she responds with a question: “What?” He has to know the answer. He tries to articulate it again: “Tell me I’m a good man.” The request flusters her, but his earnestness makes her think better of putting it off. With great dignity, she says, “You are.”
― Charles W. Colson, The Good Life
Old 09-17-2022, 01:47 PM
Default Seriously: What constitutes a life well-lived?

Many people I meet tell me they just try to follow the ten commandments, but few, when asked, can recite more than about half. You may recall that Jesus said there are 2 great commands. Love God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength and Love your neighbor as yourself. These two sum up all the rules of right living. Most of the responses in this string are some form of the second command but there is little said in this string about the first. The first is more important because it makes the second possible. When one puts God first, it forces you to get your focus off yourself, away from self concern, self convenience, self love so that you can honestly do the second, and truly touch people's lives.

I am a Jesus follower and I think a life well lived means a living life of significance. When you follow Jesus your life inevitably gains significance. Everything you do, you try to do for God and for others, not because of earning a legacy but for the sheer appreciation for what the God of the universe has done for you in Jesus. Every life touched in this life for Christ moves that person beyond the earthly to an eternal life that has so much more significance than anything that can be found on this planet.

We have limited time on this plant and most of us in TV are getting pretty close to the end. Time to really be honest about the significance of our accomplishments. You gotta have a reason for life that is bigger than yourself.
Old 09-17-2022, 02:09 PM
Default The Good Life

Quote:
Great discussion! A question that my former colleague and boss, Chuck Colson, spoke to often and best illustrated from a great movie, 'Saving Private Ryan". Anyone interested in pursuing this question more would enjoy his book 'The Good Life'.

Here's his quote: “Captain Miller lay close by where he had been hit, his back slumped against the bridge’s wall. Ryan, in anguish, was alone with his rescuer in the final moments before Miller died. Ryan watched as the captain struggled in his last moments, shot clean through one lung. The captain wouldn’t take another breath, except to grunt, “James. Earn this … earn it.” Were these dying words a final order or charge? Private Ryan has always taken it that way. These memories rivet the aged James Ryan, who now finds himself staring at the grave marker and mumbling to his dead commander. He tells Captain Miller that his family is with him. He confesses that he wasn’t sure how he would feel about coming to the cemetery today. He wants Captain Miller to know that every day of his life he’s thought of their conversation at the bridge, of Miller’s dying words. Ryan has tried to live a good life, and he hopes he has. At least in the captain’s eyes, he hopes he’s “earned it,” that his life has been worthy of the sacrifice Captain Miller and the other men made of giving their lives for his. As Ryan mutters these thoughts, he cannot help wondering how any life, however well lived, could be worthy of his friends’ sacrifice. The old man stands up, but he doesn’t feel released. The question remains unanswered. His wife comes to his side again. He looks at her and pleads, “Tell me I’ve led a good life.” Confused by his request, she responds with a question: “What?” He has to know the answer. He tries to articulate it again: “Tell me I’m a good man.” The request flusters her, but his earnestness makes her think better of putting it off. With great dignity, she says, “You are.”
― Charles W. Colson, The Good Life
Closed Thread

Tags
life, things, toys, success, measure

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.