Shopping at BJ's

Closed Thread
Old 01-19-2023, 01:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,048 Times in 5,337 Posts

Long time member of Sams just joined BJ primarily due to deli counter. At this point think we will alternate between both.
Old 01-19-2023, 02:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Long time member of Sams just joined BJ primarily due to deli counter. At this point think we will alternate between both.
They really do have a terrific deli.

Sam's hotdogs are better - but you don't have to be a member to buy one at their little cafe area near the exit doors.
Old 01-19-2023, 02:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker59 View Post
I was put off by the gas policy: even being a member doesn't get you the discounted price, you have to have and use their credit card, too.
Thanks for the tip on coupons, hadn't realized they were needed, so I'm missing out on deals too.
Two reasons for me not to renew. I'll stick with Sam's.
You're not understanding their policy then. Their policy - is that in order to buy gas at BJ's at all, you have to be a member. With membership only, you will typically pay 10-20 cents less than any other gas station in the area. With the BJ's credit card, you get an ADDITIONAL discount.

Their gas prices are always cheaper than Wawa's and the Circle K across the street, usually by 15 cents or more. Without using the BJ's credit card.

Same thing with the coupons - those are for an ADDITIONAL price reduction. Their prices tend to be cheaper "per unit" than the same thing in other stores. Per ounce, per pound, per each, per pack of 30, per "whatever a unit is, on that particular product."

Their deli prices tend to be cheaper than any deli in the area and the products just as good (or bad, if you consider that deli foods are generally not healthy).
Old 01-19-2023, 04:57 PM
Default BJs, Where do I begin?!

Just today I called to make sure that I would not be auto-renewed for my membership at BJ’s. They asked why?

Let me begin with their entryway. An elderly community is utilizing this store and so they head directly to the entrance often with walkers and canes only to find out they have to walk another 40 steps to their left to get a shopping cart. Who designed this?!

Clipping coupons!? Who the heck does this anymore? Whether it’s paper and scissors, or being handy enough to figure out which product you’re buying requires you to click to have an electronic coupon, why are they putting me through this?

Buying gas at a discount is a wonderful thing, except for the process of just trying to get it in my tank. Who the heck designed the lineup for the cars to get into these stalls?! Who decided it was a great idea to put the word DIESEL on the far right stalls making it look like those lines are only for guess what, diesel!? Then it takes 15 attempts to get your card to scan, I guess you have to hold your tongue just right. So once you jump through all their hoops to get the machine to say yeah, you’re gonna get some gas today, you’ve got to try to get the nozzle into your gas tank and push it in really really hard, or it will not seal, and it will not pump gas. I have never seen such a process. And apparently I’m not alone because I have had to coach other people to this ridiculous process as I wait in line behind them. Oh and a good percentage of the time, if you have the audacity to ask for a printed receipt, it’s out of paper and tells you to ask the attendant. You’ve got cars lined up behind you and you’re gonna go find the poor attendant that is trying to deal with all these lanes of people who are struggling to get gas into their tank.

Oh and concerning prices, they might be better than your typical grocery store, but I stood in the spices aisle and looked up spice after spice at Sam’s Club only to find that Sam’s was cheaper on most all of them.

But the reason I called BJs today to make sure that they did not auto-renew me was because my husband made a clerical error when paying our bill a couple months ago and shorted them by, Wait For It, one cent. We have been charged a two dollar fee every month since. Doesn’t matter that we have never paid less than full payment, on time, every other month since we became members.

I have never seen a company work so hard to drive away customers. In our case they were successful.
Old 01-19-2023, 05:37 PM
Sage

When BJ's announced that memberships for new members would be $25 for the first year and I applied they said husband was not eligible because we were already members. How could that be? I didn't ever remembering going there. Where had we signed up? Now I think it may have been in North Miami where we spent a few weeks at a marina before leaving offshore to sail to the Caribbean in 1999. One visit was the likely extent of our over 20-year "valued membership." So I applied for my own $25 membership. I also find the coupons annoying and so will probably not renew. I wonder how long they plan to keep us on the books this time
Old 01-19-2023, 07:43 PM
Default Valid claims

Well I've read a lot of valid claims. But there is one thing I am very sure of maybe 2.

1. The parking lot seems to me, easier to navigate, find a place park and not as crazy as
Sams or Walmart.

2., And this is important, I have always been able to find a shopping cart. I often need a
handicap shopping cart, they keep them clean, well stocked and charged. The
opposite of Sams and Walmart. BJs sees to it.
Old 01-19-2023, 09:01 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,204 Times in 465 Posts

I have used BJ’s, Sam’s and Costco. Costco is the winner. By far.
Old 01-20-2023, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinball wizard View Post
That is not exactly correct. All members get the discount price, if you have the BJ's credit card you get some extra off.
Kind of correct, if you have the credit card you get additional money back to be used in the store, not at the pumps. You only need the membership card to get the discounted price.
Old 01-20-2023, 07:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinricci View Post
Also noted that the handicapped parking was a distance away from the entrance.
thank the golf carts for that one
Old 01-20-2023, 07:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymini View Post
I have used BJ’s, Sam’s and Costco. Costco is the winner. By far.
thanks I needed a good laugh this morning
Old 01-20-2023, 07:28 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparsoneau@aol.com View Post
For what it’s worth, I still believe Costco is better than BJ’s or Sam’s Club
I agree Costco is better but we don't care to drive the 140 mile round trip to Wesley Chapel just to be in a better store. We did join when I needed hearing aids, they have a great deal on their Kirkland branded aids made by
Sonova who also makes Phonak.
Old 01-20-2023, 08:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiwiz View Post
thank the golf carts for that one
How do golf carts affect where they initially placed the handicap spaces?

-Tom Petty
Old 01-20-2023, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
We have shopped at BJ's two or three times since their opening.
It will take more visits to start to know what is where in the store.
I will not get used to the need to clip coupons to get sale prices.

Because of the coupon clipping we will most likely not renew when the renewal comes due.

Overall it is a pretty nice store.

What are some other opinions/comments about BJ's?

just click on coupons on-line, & they are put on your card
Old 01-20-2023, 08:56 AM

We are members of Sam's and Costco. The last I want to do is to Jump Hoops (mess with coupons) while shopping at BJ's. Remember we are paying to shop at these stors. As far as taking my phone in to BJ's or any other store or restaurant, that is not for me. Life is getting confusing enough. I think if BJ's wants to use coupons, they can come up with something easier than I am hearing here. Have a great day!
Old 01-20-2023, 09:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernrider75 View Post
Kind of correct, if you have the credit card you get additional money back to be used in the store, not at the pumps. You only need the membership card to get the discounted price.
The price at the pump with ONLY the membership card is the price EVERYONE who uses those pumps can get. It's not "discounted" for members. You can't pump there if you aren't a member. There is no "non-member" regular pricing. That gas is members-only. That's their price. That price is cheaper than the regular price anywhere else in the area. But if you want that price, you have to be a member. Non-members are not allowed to pump the gas there at all.

The BJ's credit card gives them a discount on top of the already-low price.
Closed Thread

Tags
bjs, store, clipping, coupon, renew

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.