Shredding?

Closed Thread
Old 04-03-2014, 07:47 AM
Gold member
Question Shredding?

I have a bunch of documents to get rid of. Most of these are bank statements and credit card statements. I do have a shredder at home. I know I have to shred the credit card statements. My question pertains to the bank statements. Is it necessary to also shred these? I know that the bank account # is on these statements and also transactions are shown. I don't care if anyone looks at the transactions but was wondering if the account # would be important to someone. I can see maybe that if someone had my account number that they could go into a bank and write a withdrawel slip which could potentially be a problem.

It would take me quite some time to shred all these documents.

Any ideas?

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 04-03-2014, 08:02 AM
Veteran member

I shred all financial and medical documents that have any sort of account information or personally identifying information on them.

I had a huge backlog of unshredded, file docs when I retired. I took the time to go through it and shred documents before I put them in the trash.

Now I am caught up and am more diligent about shredding along the way instead of letting it accumulate and build up.

Anyway... I had the same issue! It did not take as long as I thought it would. I did the shredding over about a month, a few hours here, a few hours there.... and worked my way through it.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:31 AM
Veteran member

You can take your papers to a shredding service or hire one to come to your driveway. I think Villages Pack and Ship does this, probably also stores like Office Max or Staples. If you have a lot of stuff, shredding them yourself takes a lot of time and produces a lot of trash.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:33 AM
Veteran member

Safe Ship at Colony does shredding...
Old 04-03-2014, 08:51 AM
Veteran member

We have a lot of shredding to be done also. Do these places do the shredding in front of you? I do not trust just dropping our papers off.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:59 AM
Veteran member

We purchased a shredder. In the long run it was cheaper than taking the items to someone. It also gave us peace of mind the shredding was done. We then put it in the compost container and it goes into the garden.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:49 PM
Gold member

I checked at Pack and Ship on CR 101. They charge $1.00 a pound and I don't need to take the documents out of the envelopes, a real time saver. That's what I plan on doing. I will check with the shipping co. at Colony to see what they charge but I think doing this is the way to go.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 05-20-2014, 07:56 PM

I just listed a used paper shredder for sale. Jusr what you need with a very small investment. It'll "get the job done"....
Old 05-20-2014, 10:44 PM
Sage

I just read in The Sun....Dear Heloise I think...a person said to soak in a bucket of water for a hour and the ink disappears. You could them tear and put in a garbage bag. Might try it as we have a bunch of documents to do this with. Other option is...some service organizations will have a date where they do this as a service to the community. There was one offered recently but we didn't have our stuff together to take it all there.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.