Sledge hammer to piano

Closed Thread
Old 04-27-2017, 07:22 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton
Default Sledge hammer to piano

What’s the story with pianos these days? We have almost completed our two yearlong move from Ohio to TV. During this time we have been trying to sell and or give away our seldom used piano. Everyone in the good old days needed a piano at home to learn music. Today, you can’t seem to give one away. I would hate to take the sledge hammer to it to make it fit into a dumpster. Any suggestions?
Old 04-27-2017, 07:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
What’s the story with pianos these days? We have almost completed our two yearlong move from Ohio to TV. During this time we have been trying to sell and or give away our seldom used piano. Everyone in the good old days needed a piano at home to learn music. Today, you can’t seem to give one away. I would hate to take the sledge hammer to it to make it fit into a dumpster. Any suggestions?
I remember when all the really fortunate kids took piano lessons. Maybe parents don't have the time to get them there with both working. That is sad. I so admire anyone who can play a piano.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:20 AM
Gold member

If your into charity......

Maybe you could donate it to a school music department,
or a church.

Or a YMCA or youth group......this would be a great opportunity for maybe some underprivileged kids, and maybe you could even give lessons....

just a thought......use it as a tax deduction.....

Last edited by kstew43; 04-27-2017 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:44 AM
Veteran member

IMHO, inexpensive but otherwise very usable electronic keyboards have taken the place of pianos for many people. They are smaller and therefore easier to place in a home, easier to move and/or store, don't need to be tuned, and perhaps most importantly, cost thousands less than a piano. And for children, they are easier to learn to play because your fingers don't have to be as strong to depress the keys. They certainly aren't the same in terms of sound, and perhaps for many people aren't as satisfying to play, but still a strong alternative to an actual piano.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Songs in the key of free: More tips on what to do with an unwanted piano - The Washington Post

Google what to do with an unwanted piano.

The Freecycle Network

Society of Unique Artists >> Donate Your Piano
Old 04-27-2017, 10:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
What's happened is electronic keyboards that are less expensive, take up less room, don't have to be tuned and can be kept in a closet if you don't want it out all the time. In addition, thousands of different instrument sounds can be gotten from them. Many have the option of a weighted keyboard so they play just like a real piano.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:22 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

The demand for old pianos dropped when wood burning fireplaces were replaced with gas.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:02 PM
Veteran member

Just fling it ! 1990's Northern Exposure style....

Piano Fling Scene - YouTube
Old 04-27-2017, 01:50 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

We donated ours to a retirement facility.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

I am probably like many people here. I would LOVE to have a piano, but no room. Gave mine to our daughter before we moved here.

I agree; if you can't get someone to buy your piano, you may as well donate it and get the tax benefit.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Donate it; get a tax deduction. My mother-in-law has an upright that is approx. 55 y/o and in 2 weeks will be the 4th time we've moved it in 7 years (mid-Missouri to Arkansas, back to Kansas City, to TV and now to another location in TV); plays it all the time and has it tuned ever so often; it keeps her happy. That darn thing is heavy......
Old 04-28-2017, 08:28 AM

If you can't find a home for it and no organization is willing to take it. May I suggest sticking with the sledgehammer but charge people a dollar a whack, then donate the $$ to your fav charity. Could be a fun party.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:34 AM

My former neighbor had an old one in his barn. He took it apart, sold the metal parts for scrap, gave me the wood parts and I made picture frames out of it. Gave one to him with a picture of his piano in it and another with a picture of his barn init. He loved the frames and the irony.

---She was only a whisky maker, but I loved her still.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

I suggest you do the hammer thing.
Look what was found in this old piano...........
Gold Sovereigns – ‘Treasure’ Trove Found In UK – Don’t Be The Piano Owner << SGTreport – The Corporate Propaganda Antidote – Silver, Gold, Truth, Liberty, & Freedom
Old 04-28-2017, 07:16 PM
Platinum member
Default Craigslist

Before you give up and destroy your piano, I suggest you list it on craigslistocala as a free item.

I frequently see free pianos on craisgslisttampa. Presumably, some of them get picked up.

Regarding why you have had no luck getting someone in The Villages to accept the piano, it is likely that space in the home is an issue, as well as the fact that few people sit around and play the piano when there is so much to watch on TV, and so many activities to get involved in throughout the retirement community.

Tags
piano, sledge, give, days, hammer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.