Slingbox?

Closed Thread
Old 03-08-2013, 10:55 AM
Default Slingbox?

There is a previous thread in regards to Slingbox but no one has posted to it in many years and there has been several updates to the technology during that time.

Has anyone purchased/used one of these devices recently? It seems like a perfect solution for those of us who are not able to stay in The Villages for lengthy periods of times. Rather than subscribing to another provider you can relay your television service over the internet from your first home to your second home or any mobile viewing device.

Pros/cons? Is it reliable? Problems connecting? Worth the money? Thank you for your reply!
Old 03-09-2013, 08:33 AM

I used Slingbox when I lived in Costa Rica. 'Home' unit was at son's in Atlanta. So I could select any channel available on Comcast.

Quality depends on the speed of the internet at both ends. I was limited by the speed available at my house in Costa Rica to 500k download. Even at that relatively low speed the picture was very good - maybe a little muddy on action like sports, but still good.

Slight time lag when changing channels. No problems connecting. Worth the money.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:41 AM
Veteran member
Default Slingbox

I use sling box to watch Philadephia Sports only. My new computer was too fast for the basic slingbox. Bought a used computer for slingbox use. Picture is not that great but the Eagles are bad anyway. Picture depends on speed at each end. I think I would get the HD version if I had a do over. I watch regular TV thru Bright house.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:09 PM
Arrow

I have 2 versions of the slingbox, the original and the new HD version. HD version can give a very good quality picture but your upload speed (at home) and download speed here need to be fast. The picture can look good up to about 24 inch screen. pushing beyond that results in blurry picture. If you watch on an IPAD the quality is very good.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.