Snorkeling with the Manatees

Closed Thread
Old 06-19-2021, 12:29 PM
Default Snorkeling with the Manatees

I have visiting family with a 12 year old and want to take them snorkeling with the Manatees. It seems there are several choices - Homosassa, Chrystal River, etc. Would love to have recommendations as to which location you think is the best. Thanks for any input.
Old 06-19-2021, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peazoup View Post
I have visiting family with a 12 year old and want to take them snorkeling with the Manatees. It seems there are several choices - Homosassa, Chrystal River, etc. Would love to have recommendations as to which location you think is the best. Thanks for any input.
It's been several years since I did this; however, did go to Crystal River. You will need wet suits because the spring fed water is cold. Keep in mind that the Manatees start leaving the springs/rivers when it starts warming up around the end of March or so. This time of year there may not be manatees. I'd call Crystal River tour places to check. When I was there in the winter months over Christmas there more manatees than anyone could count and the experiences have always been great (have done it a few times). Sorry this isn't as informative as you'd probably hoped. It's been several years since I've gone over to snorkel with them.
Old 06-19-2021, 04:35 PM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656
Default snorkeling with manatees

Would like to know what you find out.
Old 06-19-2021, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLgirlNow View Post
It's been several years since I did this; however, did go to Crystal River. You will need wet suits because the spring fed water is cold. Keep in mind that the Manatees start leaving the springs/rivers when it starts warming up around the end of March or so. This time of year there may not be manatees. I'd call Crystal River tour places to check. When I was there in the winter months over Christmas there more manatees than anyone could count and the experiences have always been great (have done it a few times). Sorry this isn't as informative as you'd probably hoped. It's been several years since I've gone over to snorkel with them.
I'm not sure your allowed to touch them and its sad more manatees have perished last year than any other time.
Old 06-20-2021, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmen View Post
I'm not sure your allowed to touch them and its sad more manatees have perished last year than any other time.
Look, don't touch
“When you realize that to produce, you must obtain the permission from those who do not produce anything; When it is proven that the money flows to those who trade not with goods, but with favors; When you realize that many get rich by bribery and influence rather than by work. When you realize that corruption is rewarded and honesty becomes self-sacrifice; Then you can say, without fear of making mistakes, your society is doomed.”

Ayn Rand
Atlas Shrugged,1957.
Old 06-20-2021, 08:08 AM

Quote:
I have visiting family with a 12 year old and want to take them snorkeling with the Manatees.
My wife and I spent an evening at the Plantation in Crystal River and went snorkeling the next morning the next morning with Adventure Tours (or something like that) which is next to the hotel. It was wonderful. Sadly for your 12 year old though, the best manatee viewing times are in the winter. They've mostly moved on by now. Don't worry though -- there are still plenty of fish, birds (yes, birds that swim underwater to catch fish!), crabs, and other things to see. Enjoy!
Old 06-29-2021, 07:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Take them to the Homassa nature park.. Can’t swim with but they should be there..
Closed Thread

Tags
snorkeling, manatees, river, love, recommendations

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.