Are Wisconsin residents with CCW able to conceal carry in Florida?

Closed Thread
Old 10-12-2021, 11:52 AM
Default Are Wisconsin residents with CCW able to conceal carry in Florida?

I go to FL 6 months out of year and have a question. If we have a Wisconsin CCW are we able to carry conceal in FL. In other words does FL honor WI CCW?
I tried to get the information on Internet through fdacs gov but getting conflicting information, tried to contact FL directly, they are no help. If you have researched this matter in the past, your input is appreciated. Thank you

posting it again as it did not like by reference link

Jim

Last edited by JIMQ3100; 10-12-2021 at 07:36 PM.
Old 10-12-2021, 11:59 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMQ3100 View Post
I moved to FL last year and have a question. If we have a Wisconsin CCW are we able to carry conceal in FL. In other words does FL honor WI CCW?
I tried to get the information on Internet through fdacs gov but getting conflicting information, tried to contact FL directly, they are no help. If you have researched this matter in the past, your input is appreciated. Thank you

posting it again as it did not like by reference link

Jim
Why not call your county’s Sheriffs office? I wouldn’t take advice that important from random people on an Internet forum.
Old 10-12-2021, 12:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,743 Times in 5,255 Posts

Apparently, Florida does have a reciprocity agreement with Wisconsin. Here is a link.

Concealed Weapon License Reciprocity / Concealed Weapon License / Consumer Resources / Home - Florida Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services
Old 10-12-2021, 12:15 PM
Default WI/FL CCW Info.

From WI also, with valid WI CCW License.
Great question and great reply on Reciprocity.
On the reciprocity list I did not see IL listed, since we drive to FL, thru IL, what are the
issues of transporting a pistol thru IL? I don't think it is legal, but don't know for sure?
Any help with this question would be well received.
Thanks!
Old 10-12-2021, 12:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,611 Times in 946 Posts

Something like this - start with shooter’s world, then ask sherif.
Consider Utah class.

Internet advice will not hold up well in court.
Old 10-12-2021, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DALEPQ View Post
On the reciprocity list I did not see IL listed, since we drive to FL, thru IL, what are the
issues of transporting a pistol thru IL? I don't think it is legal, but don't know for sure?
Thanks!
Use to drive through Illinois. Florida permit. I would stop before entering and separate ammo (trunk) and firearm (passenger compartment). This was discussed during my Missouri concealed carry classes.
Old 10-12-2021, 12:32 PM

We had the same situation moving from Georgia and were told if we have moved and are no longer living in Georgia we needed to apply for a permit in Florida which we did. Be forewarned, it takes a while here, Georgia took only a couple of weeks.
Old 10-12-2021, 12:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,427 Times in 2,269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-Runner View Post
We had the same situation moving from Georgia and were told if we have moved and are no longer living in Georgia we needed to apply for a permit in Florida which we did. Be forewarned, it takes a while here, Georgia took only a couple of weeks.
I received my Florida Permit one week to the day after completing the application. Was told it could take up to 90 days but they give Vets a priority.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 10-12-2021, 01:04 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,478 Times in 549 Posts

Since you are now a Florida resident, I think the question is actually should I get (or transfer my license to) a Florida concealed carry?”

However, that’s not your question. I think the answer you are looking for is here:
https://www.fdacs.gov/content/downlo...rocityList.pdf
Old 10-12-2021, 01:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts

Applying for a Concealed Weapon License / Concealed Weapon License / Consumer Resources / Home - Florida Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services

This might be a useful link.
Old 10-12-2021, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
I received my Florida Permit one week to the day after completing the application. Was told it could take up to 90 days but they give Vets a priority.
They must, mine took about 45 days, my wife's took SIX MONTHS! Hers was complicated by the fact that she has very light fingerprints which Florida's scanners had much more of an issue with then the ones we were scanned on in Georgia. Not sue why.
Old 10-12-2021, 04:34 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

Anyone who asks such a question by posting online has the power to "google", "bing" whatever..."concealed carry states that reciprocate with Florida". Try using all life has taught you to formulate a question to the world wide web in lieu of asking here.
Old 10-12-2021, 05:06 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DALEPQ View Post
Thanks!
With a valid concealed carry license from your state of residence, you may legally carry a loaded pistol on your person or in the passenger cabin of your vehicle. DO NOT exit the vehicle with your gun at a lunch stop, refuel stop or potty break, etc., leave it in the vehicle. It is illegal for a non-resident to carry a pistol outside the vehicle even if you have a valid carry license from your home state. Illinois does not recognize any state's carry permit.

Here is the source, it cites the appropriate law:

Illinois Gun Laws: What You Need to Know | USCCA

I would net even get close to Chicago, the city has some very restrictive laws on gun possession. If you have to go through the city I would unload the gun, place it in a locked box in the car's trunk with the ammo stored elsewhere in the vehicle. This way you will be safe.
I used to travel through Illinois frequently with my carry gun and I never stopped for anything in the state. I fueled up, ate and took a bathroom break before entering Illinois. I felt that if the state couldn't recognize my right to self defense it didn't need any money from me for purchases in Illinois.
Old 10-12-2021, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
Anyone who asks such a question by posting online has the power to "google", "bing" whatever..."concealed carry states that reciprocate with Florida". Try using all life has taught you to formulate a question to the world wide web in lieu of asking here.
Or how about scrolling on by instead of being an ....... There are any number of things on this board that could be found via google. Perhaps they want a connection with a real person. A friendly response or ignoring should be your two options.
Old 10-12-2021, 06:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,089 Times in 2,750 Posts

Generally, reciprocating agreements are only between states with substantially similar laws and hoops you need to jump through to get a license. Since Florida has less stringent laws than most northern states, very few reciprocal agreements exist. My understanding is that it is legal to transport firearms, by federal law, across state lines as long as you have a valid license from your home state and they are legally owned. However, all firearms need to be unloaded and locked, with ammunition stored securely in a separate place. I am licensed in Massachusetts, but frequently hunt in New Hampshire. Whenever I travel with my hunting rifle and pistol, they are locked in a gun case unloaded, and the ammo is locked up in a separate waterproof pelican box. Just to be extra safe, I also take the bolt out of the 30-06 and field strip my Sig pistol. I store the rifle bolt and pistol barrel with the ammo, so both guns are stored locked and disabled. Hope this helps.
Closed Thread

Tags
ccw, wisconsin, information, carry, conceal

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.