Solo Agers (single & no kids)--how are you planning for live in your 80's & beyond?

Old 03-24-2024, 08:10 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyD View Post
I (along with a sibling) have been caring for my elderly parents (both late 80's) for the past seven years. While both parents are in reasonably good health for their age, neither can live independently, and were it not for us, both would be (at a minimum) in assisted living facility.

Over the past two years both my mother & father have had illnesses / accidents (falls) which resulted in them being hospitalized. My father was in a local hospital for nearly two weeks, and while the treatment / care he received there was adequate, I shudder to think what his experience would have been like had I not been there daily to manage / advocate for his medical care.

I'm in my 50's, single with no children, and while my "elderly years" are still decades away, this experience of helping my parents has really got me wondering how I'm going to manage the last 10-15 years of my life.

Lots of people mention CCRC's (Continuing Care Retirement Communities), but they won't sit with you at doctor's appointments, help you pay bills, manage your finances, etc..

For those of you who are single with no children:

If you are in the last decade or so of life, how are you doing it? Any tips or warnings?

For those of you in your 60's & 70's, what are your plans for when you aren't able to live independently & need help?
Admirable that you and your sibling have stepped up on behalf of your parents. That’s dignity for them.
All I can offer since we’re in the same demo is make sure you draft your living will, estate etc and file it at probate. Everybody’s situation is different but should you ever become incapacitated, since you stated you have no spouse/children, you want to make sure your wishes are documented, respected and followed.

Tags
years, care, parents, manage, live

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.