Some things for sale in Classified.

Closed Thread
Old 05-10-2018, 08:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Some things for sale in Classified.

Am I the only one who wonders occasionally....

Are these hot?
Old 05-10-2018, 08:12 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Like the "Rolex"?

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-10-2018, 08:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Like the "Rolex"?
Without cheating with Google do you know how to tell a Fugazy Rolex from the real deal? Without picking it up? Eyes on the product only.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Am I the only one who wonders occasionally....

Are these hot?
Someone is giving away a stove and a microwave. So I guess so. [too silly?]

Last edited by tomwed; 05-10-2018 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:26 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Without cheating with Google do you know how to tell a Fugazy Rolex from the real deal? Without picking it up? Eyes on the product only.
No but you have the most interesting vocabulary.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:27 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
No, but I would like to know. I realize the difference in second hand movement distinguishes the Rolex springwound mechanical movement from electronic watches.

When a friend of mine bought a new Rolex in Hong Kong in the late 1980s they opened it up to show him the mechanism and serial number as I would guess the Chinese were manufacturing high quality fakes at that time. If I recall correctly they had to give up doing that to get the 2008 Olympics.

OK, I went back and searched for Fugazy and found this. Sub - real or fugazi? - Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum

and this. A Guide for the First-Time Rolex Buyer: A Show of Hands

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 05-10-2018 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:27 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
2ridehd is giving away a stove and a microwave. I guess so. [too silly?]
Yup, nice try though
Old 05-10-2018, 08:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
No, but I would like to know. I realize the difference in second hand movement distinguishes the Rolex springwound mechanical movement from electronic watches.

When a friend of mine bought a new Rolex in Hong Kong in the late 1980s they opened it up to show him the mechanism and serial number as I would guess the Chinese were manufacturing high quality fakes at that time. If I recall correctly they had to give up doing that to get the 2008 Olympics.

OK, I went back and searched for Fugazy and found this. Sub - real or fugazi? - Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum
It is the second-hand movement in the Rolex's that I was shown. A friend of mine who collect's watches taught me about this and also popped the back off a real and a fake and showed me how close the fakes movement looks and is marked.
He regularly bought items from Classified adds such as our and always asked for a paperwork trail on the item and made his decision at that point.

He did get burned when he was young and bought a Patek Phillipe watch for a bundle that was a fake. I looked at the watch and it was stunning. I guess its buyer beware.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:03 AM
fw102807

I cannot imagine spending that kind of money on something so frivolous. I would rather have a nice trip somewhere, but that is just my opinion. I understand there are people who value such items just not me.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
I cannot imagine spending that kind of money on something so frivolous. I would rather have a nice trip somewhere, but that is just my opinion. I understand there are people who value such items just not me.
I couldn't agree more. He started out doing the collecting and reselling for money and then it turned into a hobby, then a passion then a sickness. He was never happy with what he had it was always about the next deal. I lost track of him several years back. Hope he is OK.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:37 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Shame you don’t know l2rdhd. It was a legit ad. He’s one of really good guys in this world. Don’t malign without knowing the facts.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 05-10-2018, 09:43 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Shame you don’t know l2rdhd. It was a legit ad. He’s one of really good guys in this world. Don’t malign without knowing the facts.
I think he meant hot as in "hot to touch" not "hot from the back of a truck", just a little play on words.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
I couldn't agree more. He started out doing the collecting and reselling for money and then it turned into a hobby, then a passion then a sickness. He was never happy with what he had it was always about the next deal. I lost track of him several years back. Hope he is OK.
This reply makes me think of the really really rich who just want to make money for money's sake. I often think of how much good that money would do for people who are absolutely desperate ............. it takes all types I guess.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 05-10-2018, 09:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
He is a good guy. I alwys enjoy what he has to say. He is giving away appliances. Who is nicer then that? I named 2 appliances that get hot, a microwave and an oven. And then I asked if my joke was too silly.

I guess it was way too silly since I always admire your opinions and insight and you thought I was being serious. I'll fix it.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
He is a good guy. I alwys enjoy what he has to say. He is giving away appliances. Who is nicer then that? I named 2 appliances that get hot, a microwave and an oven. And then I asked if my joke was too silly.

I guess it was way too silly since I always admire your opinions and insight and you thought I was being serious. I'll fix it.
Sometimes, no matter how hard we try, we can't meet people's expectations or they sometimes don't understand what we were going for. Sometimes I don't get things, don't catch things on this Forum, but I know that you Tomwed are a nice person and we Gantner's would like to live next to you. And to Chris too.( l2vrhd. )

Tags
wonders, occasionally, hot, sale, things

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.