Something about Flying not being comfortable anymore?

Closed Thread
Old 10-05-2021, 04:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts
Default Something about Flying not being comfortable anymore?

I had to laugh when I saw an article about a new class of flying, because recently a number of posts were complaining about how cramped the seating is now.

Well, turns out something is being done about that in various airlines around the world. I haven't seen any indication it is coming to the US anytime soon...

It's called "Suite Class" for private suites in commercial flights.

What It'''s Like to Fly the $23,000 Singapore Airlines Suites Class
Old 10-05-2021, 04:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,779 Times in 5,277 Posts

How much for a king size bed?
Old 10-05-2021, 07:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,298 Times in 4,310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
I had to laugh when I saw an article about a new class of flying, because recently a number of posts were complaining about how cramped the seating is now.

Well, turns out something is being done about that in various airlines around the world. I haven't seen any indication it is coming to the US anytime soon...

That's S$23,000 (Singapore dollars)... "Only" US$18,400 American... Sign me up!

-Tom Petty
Old 10-05-2021, 07:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
That's S$23,000 (Singapore dollars)... "Only" US$18,400 American... Sign me up!
oops, you are right, I got it backwards. Thank you. Wow, in that case Maybe I will get two!

Last edited by GrumpyOldMan; 10-05-2021 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10-05-2021, 07:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,298 Times in 4,310 Posts

Quote:
No, it was already converted, I am pretty sure. Like $28000 or something in Singapore dollars. But, who's quibbling if you can afford that.
Nope, from the article: "With round-trip tickets costing up to S$23,000 (or US$18,400)"...

-Tom Petty
Old 10-05-2021, 08:00 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Nope, from the article: "With round-trip tickets costing up to S$23,000 (or US$18,400)"...
Sorry, you beat me to it, I double-checked and edited my post - LOL! Thank you
Old 10-05-2021, 08:05 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

But it is round trip, if it was one way I’d have an issue, lol.

I can’t fly yet. Had to cancel Aruba for the 2nd year as it is a 5 hour flight. Also will continue to drive to The Villages from Massachusetts.
Old 10-06-2021, 04:42 AM
Veteran member

Fly First Class, or your kids will !
Old 10-06-2021, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevatorman View Post
Now that is funny! And so true!
Old 10-06-2021, 06:21 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,144 Times in 884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevatorman View Post
Old 10-06-2021, 06:37 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,872 Times in 789 Posts

Quote:

US$18,400 round trip, Singapore to New York and back.
I’ve just checked on Travelocity. Round trip in Steerage is at the lowest $1,000 to $1,300. Round trip in First Class is around $7,500. In First Class your seat is converted into a bed where you can lie flat. It’s almost that good in Business Class.

But this is one of the longest flights you can get: 27 to 30 hours, though that includes a layover of 1.5 hours to 5 hours in, say, Amsterdam, Paris, or Doha. In the airport, that is, not seeing the sights. And then there is also the time change to deal with.

I flew from New York to Singapore once, in Steerage. It was horrible. The seats were much better than your average seat on US flights (but it was twenty years ago). There was a choice of, I think, eight movies. But that’s a very long time to sit, even in a plane that wasn’t full. I think there were nine seats in each row. I couldn’t sleep.

Singapore was a great airport, though. I rented an in-airport short stay hotel room for four hours, got some sleep and a hot shower, and was feeling much better for my next flight, to Indonesia (Sulawesi), then to what used to be called Borneo. But oh, that terrible flight.

So if money were no object, a room on a plane would be nice.
Old 10-06-2021, 06:38 AM

I’ll go standby US military and sleep in a hummer. Free most of the time to anywhere the military goes!!
Old 10-06-2021, 08:08 AM

Singapore airlines has always been at the top for doing it right!
Old 10-06-2021, 08:49 AM

Quote:

[/url]
I have some background on this subject.

There is a large difference in seating on international versus domestic flights. In general International long haul flights typically have 4 seating configurations/options. Economy, Premium Economy, Business and First. Domestic configurations are usually configured with economy or first class. This applies to all the major airlines (U.S. airlines included).

The seating classes between International and domestic configurations are not comparable however…. For example - The international Premium economy Class is typically equivalent (or better) than domestic first class. In some cases, they are the same seat.

International Business Class and First class have seen movement to suites on some airlines to lure the wealthiest flyers and add to their luxury brand. Notable too competitors in this area are Emirates, Etihad, Singapore, Cathay and a few others.

A last item to note: seats have a large range of options and comfort levels within a class depending on airline and specific airplane. For example an international “business class seat” could be a row seat (sitting next to a neighbor) without full recline or could be a full suite (google Etihad Q-suite). Suggest you use “seat guru.com” or another research site if you are buying an international ticket.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:52 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug R View Post
I have some background on this subject.

There is a large difference in seating on international versus domestic flights. In general International long haul flights typically have 4 seating configurations/options. Economy, Premium Economy, Business and First. Domestic configurations are usually configured with economy or first class. This applies to all the major airlines (U.S. airlines included).

The seating classes between International and domestic configurations are not comparable however…. For example - The international Premium economy Class is typically equivalent (or better) than domestic first class. In some cases, they are the same seat.

International Business Class and First class have seen movement to suites on some airlines to lure the wealthiest flyers and add to their luxury brand. Notable too competitors in this area are Emirates, Etihad, Singapore, Cathay and a few others.

A last item to note: seats have a large range of options and comfort levels within a class depending on airline and specific airplane. For example an international “business class seat” could be a row seat (sitting next to a neighbor) without full recline or could be a full suite (google Etihad Q-suite). Suggest you use “seat guru.com” or another research site if you are buying an international ticket.
I've flown international business plenty of times and sometimes one of us on a trip may get popped up to first. It's definitely better.

That said, one of my most favorite things is when I fly domestic first class and we end up in an international configured plane. Usually they are just repositioning it to a different hub or something. It doesn't happen much, but wow, is that great! Specially if I got lucky and the flight was super cheap.

I've never had a "suite" on a wide body though. My favorite place is upper deck on a 747. On Asiana, which is where I flew many times business international, those seats were great and it's quiet up there.

Worst seats ever in Business was when Continental was experimenting with these $10,000 business seats that laid flat...at about a 20 degree angle. 10 hours into the flight, you had an atomic wedgie as you slid towards the floor. I gave up on those and just reclined a little. Worst seats ever.
Closed Thread

Tags
class, flying, commercial, indication, airlines

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.