Sources for Old Coin/Currency Appraisals?

Closed Thread
Old 02-23-2023, 11:58 AM
Default Sources for Old Coin/Currency Appraisals?

I have some old coins and currency that my dad and I used to collect. Some are in collection books and such. They are inventoried to a degree, but they're not overly organized in general. I welcome any sources you may be aware of to have such collections appraised. And if you have any advice about how to make it a safe process, I welcome that too.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-23-2023, 12:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

You can get some general info by searching ebay for similar items, also there are many coin and currency sites that will allow you to look up potential value of these items. What you will not have is the 'expert' opinion on how to rate the condition of the items. For this you will need an appraiser, and there will typically be a cost, there are a few local stores that may do this, however I have no direct experience with any of them.
IMHO, I would investigate using ebay, and then take some samples to a local coin shop and see what they are offering. Remember, they expect to make a profit, so what you see on ebay is what they would probably be selling for, their offer will be less.

Last edited by villagetinker; 02-23-2023 at 08:32 PM. Reason: missing word added
Old 02-23-2023, 05:35 PM
Platinum member

download the CoinSnap app
Old 02-23-2023, 09:17 PM

Go to a Coin forum, they will be happy to help...
I have a good link for reference but we are not allowed to post links here...
I think I can send it in a private message to you, hopefully, I'm not going against their rules by doing so...
Old 02-27-2023, 09:08 AM
Default Coin Clubs in the area

Good morning. There is a coin club in The Villages. Its "hidden" in the club listings under the letter B - because the fellow that started it calls it the Buffalo Coin. I'm a member of 2 local clubs. The closest is called the North Lake Coin Club. We meet the 2nd Wednesday of each month at the Wildwood Community Center at 6500 Powell Road. This is just north of Brownwood. The meeting time is 6 to 8 pm. I started a coin club here when we first moved to The Villages in 2000. Club lasted several years but I was still working and couldn't put the time into it. Another local club is in Ocala - about a 1/2 hour drive around the same time of day. Meets the 4th Tuesday of each month. Meet me at the Wildwood club meeting and I'd be happy to give you my opinion of what you have. Rich
Old 02-27-2023, 10:03 AM

Do NOT sell your coins on just one (1) appraisal. Some coins with the same face value have different characteristics or errors from one another that can bring you a lot of money in return.
Old 02-27-2023, 11:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Coast to Coast Jewelers in Oxford

Old 02-27-2023, 04:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

My folks ran a Tavern up north and when my Dad passed, my mom gave me dads coin collection
from working the bar for 45 years.
Silver dollars, wheat penny's, 1817 worn silver dollar, pure silver mixed coins and some foreign paper bills.

I had them appraised before I came to Florida 7 years ago and walk out with door a $14,500.00 check.
Thanks Dad
Old 02-27-2023, 05:23 PM

I also have a few coins and currency from around the world. Some from my father from WWII and some from my travels. So about 15 years ago I took them all and put them on a cork board and behind glass in a picture frame. A few months ago I am looking at them and wondering what do I have here? A few bills with 500 and one with 1,000 and several other ones. No idea what country they are from or value today, but it seems time for someone to look at what I have. If you can help, give me a call and leave a message, 316-304-6683
Old 02-27-2023, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
My folks ran a Tavern up north and when my Dad passed, my mom gave me dads coin collection
from working the bar for 45 years.
Silver dollars, wheat penny's, 1817 worn silver dollar, pure silver mixed coins and some foreign paper bills.

I had them appraised before I came to Florida 7 years ago and walk out with door a $14,500.00 check.
Thanks Dad
And the moral of your story that can help the OP is?
Maybe it could have been a $25,000.00+ check.
Old 02-27-2023, 05:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,717 Times in 5,245 Posts

I would never trust a coin appraiser or coin dealer to provide an accurate valuation. The only way to get a fair price is to conduct a competitive auction with non-professional coin collectors bidding against each other.
Old 02-27-2023, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I would never trust a coin appraiser or coin dealer to provide an accurate valuation. The only way to get a fair price is to conduct a competitive auction with non-professional coin collectors bidding against each other.
I agree 100%...
Old 02-27-2023, 09:47 PM

There is an ap called coinsnap,
apparently you photo the coin and it gives you the value,
let us know your thoughts, I have never used it
Old 03-01-2023, 08:16 AM
Default Its true that not all dealers are saints but....

Some basic things to keep in mind -

Any reference book in the library or bookstore is just - a reference price. You need to know how to grade coins/currency.

No dealer buys coins/currency from a seller for full retail book prices - if they do they won't be in business long.

No one buys coins/currency based on a photograph - for so many different reasons.

A knowledgeable coin/currency buyer must have the item in hand (and maybe even weighed) to make an intelligent offer to purchase.

If you want to sell your coins - do NOT clean them to help make them look better.

Handle your coins by the edges - don't put your fingers on the face of the coin.

If you have currency - do NOT fold the notes.

If you have a box of miscellaneous types of coins you should separate them based on the metal types. Different metals have adverse reactions with other types.

There are thousands upon thousands of types of foreign coins/currency. Reference books are the size of a New York City yellow page directory of years ago. They also need
to be purchased by century of issue - 1600's, 1700's, 1800's etc. And they aren't cheap to buy. And they need to be updated now and then.

Thousands of GI's came home with duffle bags with coins/currency on the bottom. The majority of these coins sell in coin shops and shows in dealer junk boxes - Your pick 25 cents. Oh okay.... some may be silver. So they are probably just worth melt value. But not to a dealer because he needs to make a profit to pay his bills.

Run of the mill coins/currency will not make it into a Heritage auction. They get sold on eBay to unknowledgeable people who usually get burned by people looking to make money.

Go to a coin club meeting and pick peoples brains. Don't sell your stuff to the first person that pulls a wad of money out of his/her pocket. Don't sell unless your really comfortable with the person and the offer.

Don't pay attention to the You Tube video's and Facebook know it all's that tell you that you have that million dollar Lincoln penny. Finding a true rarity is..... rare. That's why they're worth so much.

Good luck.

Rich
Closed Thread

Tags
sources, safe, process, advice, appraised

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.