"Stimulus Check" for my deceased father.

Closed Thread
Old 05-02-2020, 12:28 PM

My father got his direct deposit a couple weeks ago, $2400. My mother deceased since NOV 2018 and marked as such when tax return filed in March 2019. Guess I'll be sending $1200 back, once we get instructions. Mistakes happen.

Medicated Vet ... For your protection.
Quote from Boot Camp Company Commander: "I'm gonna have to issue you all plexi-glass belly buttons, so when you have your heads up your asses, you can at least see where you're going."
Old 05-02-2020, 12:34 PM

You need to contact SS and let them know about the error. I would not have shredded it until you spoke with them.
Old 05-02-2020, 01:29 PM

The IRS was not smart enough to sort out dead people, they ran checks for all that filed in 2018 and that is why they got checks.
Old 05-02-2020, 01:44 PM
Default stimulus check for my deceased father

Yesterday, I also received a check for my Mother who died January 2019. It had the word "deceased" next her name.
Old 05-02-2020, 01:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toeser View Post
I read someplace where the government is not going to bother going after these, so perhaps many people will find a way to cash them and do so.

I agree with you about the incompetence of our government.
Agree. But since it is a stimulus check, if some relative cashes it and spends it----mission accomplished
Old 05-02-2020, 02:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by allsport View Post
The IRS was not smart enough to sort out dead people, they ran checks for all that filed in 2018 and that is why they got checks.
Yep, and there must have been 10's of thousands of them.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 05-02-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Here ya go my sweet Rosie ........ hope this satisfies you. I scanned it before shredding just as a souvenir. In case you think I faked it note the "c/o" name vs. my username here. I should have cashed it and "deposited" the cash under my dad's headstone as I'm sure he'd have appreciated it. Would you also like a copy of his death certificate showing March 15, 2018 ? Yes, his SS was stopped immediately in March of 2018 so they obviously knew he was deceased 2+ YEARS ago.

The Villages Florida
So sorry for doubting u. Also sorry for ur loss. Another poster said there is a box to check on the envelope for a deceased person and drop back in the mailbox. You must have missed the note, otherwise I’m sure u would not have shredded it.
Old 05-02-2020, 03:59 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

The perfect is the enemy of the good .. The same people that complain about checks that are sent incorrectly would complain about waiting months and months for THEIR check .. or how it was 59 cents off .. Some of the measures taken to minimize the impact of this crisis were done in record time. But of course no one talks about the millions of checks that reached people .. Likewise the unemployment snafus .. Yep, maybe Florida should have updated their systems years ago .. maybe they could have instituted an income tax to update those systems that have been deemed adequate for "normal" times too ..
Old 05-02-2020, 04:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,717 Times in 5,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by valuemkt View Post
The perfect is the enemy of the good .. The same people that complain about checks that are sent incorrectly would complain about waiting months and months for THEIR check .. or how it was 59 cents off .. Some of the measures taken to minimize the impact of this crisis were done in record time. But of course no one talks about the millions of checks that reached people .. Likewise the unemployment snafus .. Yep, maybe Florida should have updated their systems years ago .. maybe they could have instituted an income tax to update those systems that have been deemed adequate for "normal" times too ..
Well, you can mark me down as someone who is not okay with sending $1,200 of taxpayer money to dead people who are not eligible for it, and whose relatives or whoever has access to the account can keep the money and spend it. Yes, I am complaining about that.

Also, passing a law that gives employees more income to sit home and not work, even if their employers have work for them to do. So, the employer needs to hire a new employee to replace the employee who is being paid more money to not work. I am complaining about that too.
Old 05-02-2020, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Well, you can mark me down as someone who is not okay with sending $1,200 of taxpayer money to dead people who are not eligible for it, and whose relatives or whoever has access to the account can keep the money and spend it. Yes, I am complaining about that.

Also, passing a law that gives employees more income to sit home and not work, even if their employers have work for them to do. So, the employer needs to hire a new employee to replace the employee who is being paid more money to not work. I am complaining about that too.
How do figure this happens if work is available you can't choose to sit home and not go back.
Old 05-02-2020, 06:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick B View Post
How do figure this happens if work is available you can't choose to sit home and not go back.
The CARES Act changed the rules for unemployment compensation. As I understand it, the employee can choose to not go back to work. They can even quit and still collect unemployment until the end of July.
Old 05-02-2020, 07:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post

Once again - this fake news goes around. Try and keep up -

Employees don't get more money to sit home and not work, even if their employers have work for them to do.

If they are recalled to their jobs and refuse to go, their unemployment is CUT OFF and they risk having to repay whatever they already received. It is a potential consequence of refusing to return to work.
Old 05-02-2020, 08:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Once again - this fake news goes around. Try and keep up -

Employees don't get more money to sit home and not work, even if their employers have work for them to do.

If they are recalled to their jobs and refuse to go, their unemployment is CUT OFF and they risk having to repay whatever they already received. It is a potential consequence of refusing to return to work.
Not fake news. Here are the special eligibility "loopholes" to collect unemployment benefits under the CARES Act.

To be eligible for this special expansion of benefits, individuals must provide self-certification to the state that they are (1) partially or fully unemployed, or (2) unable and unavailable to work because:

1. They have been diagnosed with COVID-19 or have symptoms of it and seeking diagnosis.
2. A member of their household has been diagnosed with COVID-19.
3. They are providing care for a family or household member diagnosed with COVID-19.
4. A child or other person in the household for whom they have primary caregiving responsibility is unable to attend school or another facility that is closed as a direct result of the COVID-19 health emergency, and such school or facility care is required for the individual to work.
5. They cannot reach the place of employment because of a quarantine imposed as a direct result of the COVID-19 health emergency.
6. They were scheduled to start employment and do not have a job or cannot reach their place of employment as a result of the COVID-19 public health emergency.
7. They have become the breadwinner or major support for a household because the head of household has died as a direct result of COVID-19.
8. They had to quit their job as a direct result of the COVID-19 public health emergency.
9. Their place of employment is closed as a direct result of the COVID-19 public health emergency.
10. They meet other criteria established by the Secretary of Labor.

Can anyone cite a specific example where someone collecting unemployment benefits under the CARES Act had their benefits CUT OFF?
Old 05-02-2020, 10:02 PM
Veteran member

A friend of mine in Texas got one for his deceased mother. He did some research. The law was passed without a claw-back provision. He deposited it into his mother's estate's bank account. Just another instance where Congress has stopped doing its job, writing legislation, and handed it over to the lobbyists, while they vote for bills they have not even bothered to read. Lunacy!!!
Old 05-02-2020, 10:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

///

Last edited by Nucky; 05-05-2020 at 11:42 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
check, deceased, understand, stimulus, father

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.