Sun Screen or Skin Cancer?

Closed Thread
Old 07-18-2008, 04:24 AM
Location: Village of Marsh Bend, The Villages, FL; Oakland, CA; Boston, MA.
Default Re: Sun Screen or Skin Cancer?

Z I'm so glad you are OK!!!!

Everyone here is absolutely correct in saying that sunblock (at least 30 SPF), hats, sunglasses and long sleeves and long pants are essential to protecting yourself from the harmful UVA & UVB rays emitted by the sun.

As you can see from my avatar I have a fair amount of what Dr.'s refer to as "Pigmentary Protection" but I let that fool me into a false sense of security. My mother used to be the office manager for a dermatologist. In 1983 I went to visit her after moving back to San Francisco from Palm Springs and she freaked out. She immediately put me in an exam room. The Dr. gave me a thorough exam and then removed 4 suspicious blemishes/growths from my back. I have been extremely cautious about the sun ever since.

Although skin cancer is extremely rare in African-Americans, that one incident was enough to scare me!!!

Skin cancer exams by a dermatologist on a yearly basis and monthly personal checks should become routine.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:04 PM
Platinum member
Default Sun Screen or Skin Cancer?

I am behind in my reading and just saw this new news!! I want to say I am thrilled for you!! :bigthumbsup: Prayers answered!! wooohooooo
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.