Sunshine Law? We don't need no stinking Sunshine Law!

Closed Thread
Old 02-19-2021, 10:35 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts
Default Sunshine Law? We don't need no stinking Sunshine Law!

In the Daily Sun is an article on a violation of the state's Sunshine Law, and actually is the second violation by one of these newly elected County Commissioners. One of those elected on the platform that they were going to correct the ills of the crony corrupt system. Seems Oren Miller's wife has been acting as a go between for him and other commissioners in regards to county business. Clear violation of the Sunshine Law. I've never held public office and I know what the Sunshine Law is all about, doesn't take a constitutional expert.
The topic was about forming an animal advocacy group, which happened 6 days before the proposal was aired publicly in a county meeting. A clear violation of the law. At the public meeting Miller proposed the formation of an animal advocacy group comprised by his wife, at least 2 of her personal friends and Gary Search to "mediate" their work. I wonder, are these paid positions? Will there be a budget for this advocacy group will this group will be allowed to use the funds where they determine it is necessary?
This couple in 2018 was also fined $642 for violation of campaign finance laws for his failed campaign for state representative, where his wife was the treasurer for the campaign.
The only reasons I can come up with for these innocent mistakes as Miller called them, is stupidity, gross ignorance, arrogance or willful illegal behavior.
Old 02-19-2021, 12:49 PM
John41

Glad we cancelled the Daily Pravda.
Old 02-19-2021, 01:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,047 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
In the Daily Sun is an article on a violation of the state's Sunshine Law, and actually is the second violation by one of these newly elected County Commissioners. One of those elected on the platform that they were going to correct the ills of the crony corrupt system. Seems Oren Miller's wife has been acting as a go between for him and other commissioners in regards to county business. Clear violation of the Sunshine Law. I've never held public office and I know what the Sunshine Law is all about, doesn't take a constitutional expert.
The topic was about forming an animal advocacy group, which happened 6 days before the proposal was aired publicly in a county meeting. A clear violation of the law. At the public meeting Miller proposed the formation of an animal advocacy group comprised by his wife, at least 2 of her personal friends and Gary Search to "mediate" their work. I wonder, are these paid positions? Will there be a budget for this advocacy group will this group will be allowed to use the funds where they determine it is necessary?
This couple in 2018 was also fined $642 for violation of campaign finance laws for his failed campaign for state representative, where his wife was the treasurer for the campaign.
The only reasons I can come up with for these innocent mistakes as Miller called them, is stupidity, gross ignorance, arrogance or willful illegal behavior.
They sure devoted a lot of ink to this story. Tomorrow's headline will be one of the new commissioners was jaywalking
Old 02-19-2021, 01:13 PM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

Chill out - life is too short
Old 02-19-2021, 03:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
They sure devoted a lot of ink to this story. Tomorrow's headline will be one of the new commissioners was jaywalking
Hard to compare jaywalking to breaking the Sunshine Law.
Just in over their heads.........
Old 02-19-2021, 04:00 PM
Platinum member

The local elected leaders take this stuff very seriously! I was at an event and was talking to an AAC board member about something within the AAC’s purview. They asked that we move a few feet to discuss the topic because there was another AAC member within earshot. They did not want a possible Sunshine Law violation!

If the new commissioners think they can get around the Sunshine Law by using someone as a communications conduit, they should be exposed, reported on, and if necessary, fined.

Makes you wonder what other back room deals they are cooking up?
Old 02-19-2021, 06:09 PM
Platinum member

It's hard when your messiahs are shown to be sinners.
Old 02-19-2021, 06:11 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Just politics as usual.
Old 02-19-2021, 06:22 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Just politics as usual.
Yes it is, but it doesn't mean it is right and that we should just accept the "it is what it is" excuse. It is actions like this that cause so many people to view politicians and politics with such disdain and distrust.
Old 02-19-2021, 08:29 PM

Hey but think about the great animal shelter that will get built with a huge staff and board to be paid with tax money. He should be out and that is it. He was told to stop and he did not. Seems to be an ongoing dishonesty of one of the commissioners.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:39 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,212 Times in 351 Posts

I have no issue with a no-kill animal shelter, but you have to go about it in the right way. Oren needs to follow the rules.

Oren's wife is very vocal on a few FaceBook sites where she is the Admin. I've always felt that, as a commissioner's wife, she needs to let her husband speak for himself.

Angie "sticks it to The Developer" and stirs the pot on Facebook every chance she gets. So if you think The Daily Sun is unfairly calling out Oren and his wife. Trust me... if you are on any of their Facebook groups, Angie has gone after The Developer on numerous occasions. She's been poking that bear for months... Guess the bear just woke up.
Old 02-19-2021, 10:03 PM
Sage

It might appear that he is answering to a " higher power " .
Old 02-20-2021, 06:13 AM
Veteran member

Now that the shoe is on the other foot we'll see a few quick idiotic actions and orange wife requests but nothing like the 50 million grab of last year from the taxpayers instead of the new buyers that's exactly what it was 50 million dollars just look at the budget. I would prefer a million dollar animal shelter over a 50 million dollar land grab any day and I don't really care whether it's a sunshine Law problem or not. Yesterday I read a ridiculous opinion piece in a certain newspaper that you just knew was out right lies. They basically said all construction and businesses would stop due to the infrastructure being taxed being raised. The funny thing is the tax equals about 1% of a new home price or a 1,000 to $2,000. Whereas home values are going up that much anyway three to four percent per year and he's worried that $3,000 on a $300,000 house would stop too many people from buying which is ridiculous you're talking about three bucks a month on a mortgage
Old 02-20-2021, 06:58 AM
Sage
Default No laws broken.

You know you are doing good work and the right thing when the developer-owned “newspaper” continually tries to discredit you, even if it means bashing your spouse.

There are various and assorted threats to file ethics complaints against Commissioner Oren Miller for conversations his wife (a resident and voter in Sumter County) has had with elected officials. They seem to be taking the position that spouses of elected officials waive their right to communicate with elected officials, or to advocate for issues near and dear to their hearts.

Do spouses lose their rights after a successful campaign? Are they going to harass Commissioner Oren Miller straight through his term and into the next, if he chooses to run?

They even tossed in the fine that was paid in 2018. Yes, I missed filing date. It was my fault and as soon as I realized it I sent in the filing and paid the fine. I venture to guess I am not the first person to miss a date.

The real question here is why is the County Administrator and other County Commissioners spending so much time, energy and resources on going after the one Commissioner who has consistently stuck to his pledge to represent the people in the County, and not the Developer? And at what point does this harassment become actionable?
Old 02-20-2021, 07:56 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
The local elected leaders take this stuff very seriously! I was at an event and was talking to an AAC board member about something within the AAC’s purview. They asked that we move a few feet to discuss the topic because there was another AAC member within earshot. They did not want a possible Sunshine Law violation!

If the new commissioners think they can get around the Sunshine Law by using someone as a communications conduit, they should be exposed, reported on, and if necessary, fined.

Makes you wonder what other back room deals they are cooking up?
Yea like cutting our taxes. Just a joke the spin the paper puts on trying to not get the impact fee raised. There would be no development without the new roads and the developer should pay for them.
Closed Thread

Tags
law, sunshine, violation, group, campaign

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.