Super Bowl Commercials - IMO... boring

Closed Thread
Old 02-08-2021, 12:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

It use to be the half time show was someone who had made it in show business. A household name, a major headliner; Paul McCartney, Tom Petty, U2, Prince, Michael Jackson, The Who, Aerosmith, then in recent years they wanted to get more contemporary with Katy Perry and Lady GaGa, but last night, when they said The Weekend, I thought it was a band. It sounded a choir, or new age music, did this guy ever have hit song. This was the worse ever!
Old 02-08-2021, 01:25 PM
Veteran member

About an hour or two prior to the start of the Super Bowl there was a very funny Frito Lay commercial with former football players.
Old 02-08-2021, 01:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,427 Times in 2,269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
Oh Yeah the halftime show. That time was spent - potty - snacks - call relatives - check email - check facebook - check news - potty (again). Drats!!! I think we missed it. (as we fastforwarded thru our DVR - it looked terrible).
After all those guys marched out with jock straps on their heads I went and took the trash out.. lol

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 02-08-2021, 06:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts
Default Maybe we are seeing more people of color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tblue View Post
I agree, the race thing was way overplayed. If one came here from Mars and watched the SB commercials one would have thought our country was 75% black. Nothing wrong with that, but come on man.
because we went so long without them , I think a little overcompensating is in ok with me
Old 02-08-2021, 07:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
because we went so long without them , I think a little overcompensating is in ok with me
More than a little overcompensating but where were the Hispanics and Asians?
Old 02-08-2021, 10:17 PM
Sage
Default Having read the initial post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
More than a little overcompensating but where were the Hispanics and Asians?
I’m not sure your worried about other ethnic groups to much , but hey maybe the Ozzie and Harriet nuclear family will make a come back , Oh wait it has in the minds of many villages . You no King said change is going to come , to bad he’s not around to see how far it has but still away to go
Old 02-08-2021, 10:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
I’m not sure your worried about other ethnic groups to much , but hey maybe the Ozzie and Harriet nuclear family will make a come back , Oh wait it has in the minds of many villages . You no King said change is going to come , to bad he’s not around to see how far it has but still away to go
We have come a long way but might get there faster if we treat EVERYONE equally and make sure we have a level playing field.
Old 02-08-2021, 10:55 PM
Sage
Default He’s had a number of hits

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
It use to be the half time show was someone who had made it in show business. A household name, a major headliner; Paul McCartney, Tom Petty, U2, Prince, Michael Jackson, The Who, Aerosmith, then in recent years they wanted to get more contemporary with Katy Perry and Lady GaGa, but last night, when they said The Weekend, I thought it was a band. It sounded a choir, or new age music, did this guy ever have hit song. This was the worse ever!
And while I don’t like some of his more vulgar tracks his message was right on the money for the year we’ve had . He also gambled on himself paying for that whole show and someone must like him he’s worth anyway from $60 to $100 million and while I might like my Miles Davis Sonny Rollins the Stones all RnB still find new music at 82 to like , you know there was a rumor that those black sites ,that they interrogated prisoners at after 911 pumped in the villages radio station to break the prisoners not sure it was only a rumor
Old 02-08-2021, 11:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

The usual big ones all donated the money they would have spent. The one commercial that caught my eye was the Jeep commercial at have time celebrating the USA and the center of America.
Old 02-09-2021, 06:36 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
I concur no super bowl ads worth talking about this year....years ago talking about the ad's was the game within the game

I too felt like the whole equality message was being overplayed ...in the pregame it felt like I was being reprogrammed to neutralize
the 'white male privilege' that I am suppose to have.

I have had the privilege of serving in the military, paying my own way through college, working since I was 12, paying taxes, willingly supporting Affirmative Action whenever I hired people, contributing significantly to charities, putting 5 kinds through college without any loans and volunteering in my community to help those in need

if that makes me a racist, then go ahead and call me a racist because 'frankly my dear, I don't give a damn'
Exactly. We dont want to hurt anyones feelings. God forbid! Doesnt matter that I worked my butt off to get what I have today but since Im white, im priveleged. Call me racist, call me ehat you want but no one no matter what color deserves a hand out. Get out and get a job!
Old 02-09-2021, 07:04 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,778 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Spent halftime in the pool.
Your neighbors called, you need to go home.
Old 02-09-2021, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
I really enjoy watching commercials ONE time each year - SuperBowl. In past years there were some extremely enjoyable ones. This year - IMO - so very underwhelmed. Seems so many were targeting Millenials et al. The only one that stands out for me is the GM elec car/Norway commercial with Will Ferrell.. Almost ALL the others...thumbs down. However we did notice one thing. Let me phrase this politically-correct-like. The vast majority of commercials seemed to be over-covering the race-thing. Nothing wrong with that, but - are we the only ones that noticed that?
“Over-covering the race thing”, sorry, but to me, that is a strange statement. We probably live in the least diverse bubble in the country. How can it be over-covering to have commercials reflect the rest of America. Get a life and worry about something important such as all the childhood poverty in this country.
Old 02-09-2021, 07:13 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:
The fact that talking about existing inequality makes so many people upset or uncomfortable, is the entire point. Given so many comments across the nation on social media, it obviously touched some nerves and therefore worked.
Old 02-09-2021, 07:46 AM

The worst ever. The only thing that was enjoyable was the game. Imagine, paying $5m for a 30 second opportunity to put that tripe on the airways.
Old 02-09-2021, 08:51 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

I recorded the game. Started watching after 8 pm. SKIPPED all the hype, half time show and the crappy commercials. Watched the entire game in around 2 hours. Very enjoyable.
Closed Thread

Tags
commercials, year, imo, ferrell, thumbs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.